Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Old 11-02-11, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grand Theft Auto 5

Sooooooo happy they decided to go back to San Andreas. GTA4 was great but I am dead sick of dingy inner-city grime. I need some California sun!

The real question is: When? WHEN?!?!?!?!?
Old 11-02-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This. Looks. Awesome. The graphics and physics of GTA IV, crossed with the sunny, humorous vibe of SA - not to mention the large scale environment.

Really gonna be looking forward to this one now. And also, this is how you do a game teaser trailer. All in-game (looks like it at least) footage. Very good job Rockstar.

Rockstar is probably the only gaming company that has never really let me down, other than the atrocious PC ports of their games.
Old 11-02-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Didn't look anything special to me if it was just cut scenes.
lol WTF? Yeah, it just looked "average"
Old 11-02-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Well if it indeed was all actual game footage then I guess animals are in the game now because I saw a dog in there somewhere.
Old 11-02-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the graphics looked to be the best this gen, even if it's still cutscenes, it's still awesome.
Old 11-02-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

So here's some of the things we got in the trailer:

Los Santos and the Wilderness regions of San Andreas are in the game. (San Fierro and Las Venturas are not confirmed)
Airplanes are back.
Real Estate may be back (the guy hammering a for sale sign in the ground).

I can't see the game being centered on Tommy Vercetti. He'd be in his 50s or 60s at this point, kinda old for the star of a GTA game. Besides, Rockstar has never gone back to the well for a lead character. It does sound like the lead could be a former Liberty City Mafioso. Of course the voice may not be the character we play as, might just be someone handing out missions.

Overall, I liked the trailer, and I like the return to Los Santos. I also enjoyed GTA IV and the DLC. My only complaint from IV is the online play was pretty bad, or at least very limited in the ability to rank up (I'm 2 trophies short of the platinum in IV thanks to a lack of desire to play Hangman's Noose 700 more times). But RDR corrected most of those mistakes, so hopefully GTA V will have a much better online experience.
Old 11-02-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
lol WTF? Yeah, it just looked "average"
Um, you have seen a cut scene or two from a video game in the last few years, correct? It didn't look any better than most other cut scenes of recent video games...unless you have a really shitty tv.

Now if it is indeed playable footage, that is more impressive.
Old 11-02-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't want to jump to conclusions yet as to what you will be capable of doing in the game - that was my biggest let down with GTA IV....barely anything to do apart from the main story missions - while I have a feeling I won't be disappointed this time out....I still don't want to get my hopes up too high just yet.
Old 11-03-11, 10:26 AM

I don't think you guys will be disappointed. I view GTA IV as the GTA III of this generation. Rockstar was still developing the new engine and background systems such that they probably didn't have much time to do anything beyound what was included. I imagine we will see a lot of the dating/minigames/friend mechanics carried forward into the new game, plus lots of new things to do. I don't think it will be as broad as San Andreas, but I don't necessarily mind that if they focus on making the world as impressive as it can be. SA was fun, but it was obvious R* kind of got lost in the scale of what they were doing. None of the locations had much character in that game, imo.
Old 11-04-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/3...es-journalist/

1: The game world is absolutely massive and will push both xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character ( an African/American, early 30's) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wildnerness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.

2: The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.

3: There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.

4: There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

6: Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)

7: The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc.

REAL JUICY INFO:

1: Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.

2: The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.

3: Weapons include the usual arsenal you'd aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.

4: it is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.

5: mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races, cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.

6: Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can't be altered by race, age, height, etc.

7: Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.

8: No children NPC at all. Ever.

9: There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in "hostage" situations.

10: The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.

11: You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.

12: You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.

13: Certain weapons can be customisable and some even home-made.

14: One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game...

15: Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.
Old 11-04-11, 11:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.
No.
Old 11-04-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

^^ Agreed 100%... we do NOT need that type of realism.

Next will be bathroom breaks, real time sleeping, paying bills, grocery shopping, etc. I hate filling up my car for real, so keep it out of my video game.
Old 11-04-11, 12:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

No only is obnoxious, but it's pointless in the GTAverse. Most people will just opt to jump in another car.
Old 11-04-11, 12:26 PM
wlj

That trailer looks good. I hope the driving physics are "less" realistic this time around. I got rid of GTA4 quickly because driving was such a b1tch.
Old 11-04-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I understand why Rockstar wont include #8 but that misses the whole point of GTA being a living breathing world. An entire city with no kids??? If they're afraid of criticism do what Bethesda does and make the children immune to death. It's probably what they'll do with the animals. Peta would tear them a new asshole
Old 11-04-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

4 times the size of Liberty City? Wow, this game is going to be EPIC.
Old 11-04-11, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ Agreed 100%... we do NOT need that type of realism.

Next will be bathroom breaks, real time sleeping, paying bills, grocery shopping, etc. I hate filling up my car for real, so keep it out of my video game.
They had eating in one of them right? I think sleeping too, but it wasn't real time! I agree that I don't want to have to stop and get gas... although it would make police chases more interesting. Then again, my cars never lasted long enough in the middle of a police chase to have time to run out of gas.
Old 11-04-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

It all sounds very good. The gas idea sounds stupid though. I'm starting to get a little excited for this game, but it is still tempered by the fucking driving in IV. I just can't bad mouth it enough.
Old 11-04-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

I guess I am weird but the driving never has bothered me in GTA games. Everyone complains about it but once I put a few hours in, I am used to it and never think that much about it. Especially when you jack a sports car which is what I typically stuck with since the driving was tighter. You jack an LTD and of course the car's gonna float on you.

Fuck having to fill your tank up. That's just silly. Glad they got rid of the dating stuff. It was interesting once but I found myself never calling girls for dates or friends just to play pool or whatever.

And if it is as big as they are stating, how many freaking discs is it going to be on the 360? It seems everyone bitches about having to swap discs even if you only have to do it once. It doesn't bother me that children are missing. I don't really want to have to worry about over running over virtual children when I plow into a crowd.
Old 11-04-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
No only is obnoxious, but it's pointless in the GTAverse. Most people will just opt to jump in another car.
Yeah. I don't want to have to be looking for a virtual gas station in whatever the GTA-world equivalent of Baker or Barstow is -- if it's anything like the real-world versions, I don't want to have to spend any more time there.
Old 11-04-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Most of the stuff about this game sounds pretty cool to me. I like the idea of going back to Los Santos, even though I was sort of hoping they'd go for something different. I hope this game isn't as "gangsta" as San Andreas was as for me personally that was one of the things that annoyed the shit out of me in that game and took a lot of the fun from the experience. Glad they took out the dating aspect as that got tedious really damn fast too in GTA IV.
Old 11-04-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

With the information coming out like it has the past few days I'm hoping we get this game in the next 6 months or so. An April release like GTA IV would be nice. I recall the trailers and hype for the previous GTA games starting when the games were about 6 months away.
Old 11-05-11, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All of that sounds pretty good. Glad the customization features are back. I know they keep bragging about bigger sized cities but if I can't go inside the buildings then it really doesn't matter how big the city is, it's just more driving and driving. I hope you can ride horses.
Old 11-05-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
All of that sounds pretty good. Glad the customization features are back. I know they keep bragging about bigger sized cities but if I can't go inside the buildings then it really doesn't matter how big the city is, it's just more driving and driving. I hope you can ride horses.
I want to go on a horse and buggy ride!
Old 11-05-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we should just remember that the current list of "things to do" are just rumors at this point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.