Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battlefield Talk (PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 07:13 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Re: Battlefield Talk (PS3)

I popped on right after you all popped off, unfortunately. Wished I had your numbers to text you quick. Anyway, yeah, I couldn't find a good team to work with and then Red brought me into some awfully lopsided Team Deathmatch so BFBC2 wasn't a stress reliever last night. Kinda partially rage quit.
Old 03-09-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I speculated that maybe some of the douchier players were migrating back from BF3...seems to be some truth to that.

Add the Klankilla guys to the list of people I don't play with.
Old 03-11-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last game tonight:

Arica Harbor: 34-12, Ace by 1500 points, Handgun Gold Star, Murder4Fun's dogtags.

Om. Motherfucking. Nom.
Old 03-15-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday...and somebody better acknowledge those murder4fun tags!!!!

He'd just killed me and was hanging out in that house some of you call "the hotel" on Arica Harbor. I ran up the steps, and he knew I was coming...he hopped at me, as he does, and I cut his fucking kneecaps.

Old 03-15-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you take his knees out instead of getting on yours for him. Always great to get the better of your nemesis.
Old 03-15-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

What tags?
Old 03-22-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday bitches.

I played some Rush with Cardiff the other day. It was a reasonably good time, and we eventually made a successful stand against superior numbers, but I really don't like that mode much at all.

I'll be conquesting it up tonight if anybody wants to join up.
Old 03-22-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Friday bitches.

I played some Rush with Cardiff the other day. It was a reasonably good time, and we eventually made a successful stand against superior numbers, but I really don't like that mode much at all.

I'll be conquesting it up tonight if anybody wants to join up.
Yeah that was fun, I was getting sick of Conquest so decided to mix it up with Rush. I didn't have my headset on since my fiancee was reading in the same room so I had the sound way down on the stereo but still had a blast.
Old 03-22-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rush is frustrating for me because the games are hardly ever balanced. You are either rolling effortlessly or getting rolled, neither of which is any fun. Up until the point where we bunched up at that one MCOM, we were getting rolled pretty bad, so it was nice to get everybody sort of on the same page. I can't even tell you how many revives I had that round just trying to keep critical mass on the objective.

Also the way the objectives are bunched together rewards more deliberate players and campers, and I like to run around a bit.
Old 03-25-13, 08:45 AM

BF4 concept art posted on reddit. Seems legit.

Spoiler:
Old 03-25-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

was raging last night. This dude was camping in the most unnerving and deliberate way, and I was determined to get his fucking tags...suffice to say it didn't work out and he killed me probably 10 times straight.

But later, on another server, I got Dorfmann's, Red's and Hawg's tags, so that made me feel a little better.

Also picked up another copy of murder4fun's tags the other night.
Old 03-26-13, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by excom101
BF4 concept art posted on reddit. Seems legit.

Spoiler:
That's actually kind of funny...and a big part of why I can't stand BF3.

Give me the painted look and destructibility of BC2 over gritty realism and gratuitous lighting effects any day.
Old 03-29-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday...hope to see a few of you on tonight.
Old 03-29-13, 02:32 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Might be on after Good Friday worship.
Old 03-29-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find that Good Friday is an excellent day to shoot people in the face and call them obscene names.
Old 04-08-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spatula sighting in BF3 yesterday. I jumped in the game but initially his team was full so I got stuck on the other side for a bit. The team I started on was winning pretty handily but after about 15 minutes or so it opened up a spot for me to switch sides and get massacred along side of him.

Spatula, you asked what I usually play...

Usually I just try to just jump in with friends if I see any of them on. I'll gladly get my ass kicked with friends even if the map is not my favorite (Operation Metro is definitely NOT my favorite). But since you asked, if I'm playing solo I'll spend a lot of time on Caspian Border, Kharg Island, Noshar Canals, and Operation Firestorm. I can usually score an MVP ribbon or two when I'm playing those and there's a lot of servers that play strictly those 4 maps (or at least 3 out 4). From the "Back to Karkand" expansion, Gulf of Oman and Wake Island are my two favorite. If you see a server playing Gulf of Oman at 500% tickets, it'll be a LONG match. Typically 1.5 hours long from my experience.

The 8 maps that came with "Armored Kill" and "End Game" are all excellent. The 4 "End Game" maps are obviously the most popular at the moment because they're the most recent. If you think you might be playing BF3 more, I highly, highly, highly recommend picking up "End Game". The maps are all very good. Dirtbikes are fun as hell. And the Capture the Flag mode is a really fun change of pace from Conquest.

I also spend a lot of time playing Team Deathmatch on Noshar Canals. If you have an unlocked gun that you'd like to experiment with, it's probably the best way to rack up kills and unlock accessories for it. There are many, many servers that play TDM on Canals only. As weird as it sounds, you'll die more than you ever have but it's probably the least maddening game mode.
Old 04-08-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They could almost completely fix that game for me if they just fixed the recoil on the guns.
Old 04-08-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the recoil has been fixed. Somewhat. Maybe. Hell I don't know, it doesn't seem bad to me but maybe it's because I've been playing so much. I've been playing with the SMG's lately (PP-19, UMP-45, M5K, etc) and those hardly have any recoil. Plus as a side bonus they're available in ALL kits. Not sure which ones came with the original game and which ones came with expansion packs.

I know "Back to Karkand" added 10 weapons, and "Close Quarters" added 10 more. And "Aftermath" added the crossbow.

The accessories make a big difference too. The Foregrip reduces vertical recoil. The bipod eliminates it completely at the expense of being stationary.

That's why I mentioned the Team Deathmatch mode for "leveling up" the weapons. It sucks at first because almost all the guns start out with nothing, but every 10 kills you unlock a new accessory and they really do make a BIG difference. It just takes a little bit of experimenting to get something you REALLY like.

It's super frustrating to experiment in Conquest because there's an objective to be played and dying ruins that... in deathmatch you just run and shoot. and kill. and get killed. Pointless and much less stressful.
Old 04-08-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 19K
I think the recoil has been fixed. Somewhat. Maybe. Hell I don't know, it doesn't seem bad to me but maybe it's because I've been playing so much. I've been playing with the SMG's lately (PP-19, UMP-45, M5K, etc) and those hardly have any recoil. Plus as a side bonus they're available in ALL kits. Not sure which ones came with the original game and which ones came with expansion packs.
I remember an update where they said they were "fixing" the recoil, and the one gun I'd found that kind of worked for me (a PP something SMG) unbelievably had added recoil. That was really the last straw for me.

The accessories make a big difference too. The Foregrip reduces vertical recoil. The bipod eliminates it completely at the expense of being stationary.

That's why I mentioned the Team Deathmatch mode for "leveling up" the weapons. It sucks at first because almost all the guns start out with nothing, but every 10 kills you unlock a new accessory and they really do make a BIG difference. It just takes a little bit of experimenting to get something you REALLY like.

It's super frustrating to experiment in Conquest because there's an objective to be played and dying ruins that... in deathmatch you just run and shoot. and kill. and get killed. Pointless and much less stressful.
I was using a foregrip and or heavy barrel on a lot of different LMGs, but I didn't notice all that much of a difference, and I can't use the bipod as prone camping just isn't in my nature. I found a couple of SMGs tolerable, but see update comment above.

Interesting advice on DM, as I get VERY wrapped up in the objectives and overall team performance. I'll give that some thought and maybe try to find a gun I can tolerate. If I could just bring my SAW over from BC2, I'd probably play BF3 on a regular basis.

There were a few maps that I found enjoyable:
  • All of the Karkland maps were good despite them all looking kind of samey
  • Caspian Border was probably my favorite...reminded me a bit of Laguna Alta
  • Seine Crossing was a very good map despite every route being a campable corridor
  • Operation Firestorm wasn't bad and was balanced
  • Kharg Island was good but the gas station objective was too far from the middle and broke the balance
  • Canals was a pretty good map but unbalanced with the sea team being easy to pin down

But there were also too many maps that were unbearable battles of attrition and weren't interesting in any way...fully half of the original maps:
  • Grand Bazaar: 24 people fighting over a fucking hallway
  • Davamand Peak: 24 people fighting over a fucking tunnel
  • Operation Metro: 24 people fighting over a fucking Coke machine
  • Tehran Highway: 24 douchebags camping in the dark

It seemed to me the the added maps, particularly Close Corridors fell more in line with the bad maps than the good ones and catered to the Call of Duty crowd, who I wish would just stay on Call of Duty. I also really really really missed the destruction in BC2, which I would think a tank whore would appreciate more.
Old 04-08-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was using a foregrip and or heavy barrel on a lot of different LMGs, but I didn't notice all that much of a difference, and I can't use the bipod as prone camping just isn't in my nature. I found a couple of SMGs tolerable, but see update comment above.
If there's horrendous recoil, the LMG's would definitely have it. I never use them. The bipod almost seems like a necessity for those as they are near impossible to run and gun with, for me anyway. If that's mainly what you used when you played then I can see you not liking the game too much. Most of the SMG's I've been using lately have zero to no recoil at all. But again, it might just be because I've played so much (or so much with OTHER weapons), that they're the easiest to handle by far.

Interesting advice on DM, as I get VERY wrapped up in the objectives and overall team performance. I'll give that some thought and maybe try to find a gun I can tolerate.
All I can say is be prepared to die. A lot. That's kind of the point. It's a "twitchfest" as you would call it, but if you don't get wrapped up in your K-D ratio you'll be fine. Focus more on the weapon you're using and whether or not you you can do better with it with the proper upgrades. Teamwork really isn't the point of that mode anyway. It doesn't even allow you to spawn on your squad mates for some reason (at least on Noshar Canals it doesn't). You just randomly spawn into the middle of a shitshow and it's basically every man for himself... except 11 of the 23 other people WON'T be shooting at you. I really only play that mode to mess around with weapons I don't use much. Once I'm comfortable with a weapon, I'll switch to Conquest or CTF.

There were a few maps that I found enjoyable...
The only ones I play regularly from the original 9 are Caspian, Kharg, Firestorm, and Canals. I'll jump in Metro if friends are playing, but I would never jump in it solo. I can't remember the last time I played Grand Bazaar or Tehran Highway. Those ones are hard to come by in the server browser. I actually enjoy Davamand Peak because I can do pretty well on it, but not many people play that one anymore either. It's much more popular in Rush mode. FWIW, Grand Bazaar is my least favorite out of all 29 maps.

"Close Quarters" in fun if you like that sort of thing. Definitely different for a Battlefield game. The "Aftermath" maps are ok, but not vehicle friendly so I'm not a big fan. People that like to run around would probably enjoy them more.

Armored Kill and End Game are both excellent. I would say 6 out of the 8 maps in those two packs are probably the best maps in the whole game. Lots of variety and terrain variation. Desert, Snow, Mountains, etc. And they definitely have a more colorful palette than any of the other maps. Not to mention both of those expansions added more unique vehicles as well.

I also really really really missed the destruction in BC2, which I would think a tank whore would appreciate more.
One of the many patches included more destruction. Granted there are still some things on certain maps that are still indestructible (Conex boxes, the structural frames of warehouses and other over-sized buildings, etc)... but BC2 has those indestructible things as well. Some maps need certain structures to keep a little bit of the map integrity. I think you might be surprised if you played a round on Caspian Border how different it is from when you last played. Pretty much every building on that map can be destroyed now. I'm not saying there's uber destruction everywhere... just MORE from when the game first launched and it's definitely noticeable. I don't have any complaints with the destruction. The tanks can blow up everything they need to blow up and people aren't hiding inside buildings anymore.
Old 04-08-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'll get it out and run an update. If nothing else, it's good to hear that they added some new environments. BC2 had tons of variety in that regard.

I was just really really disappointed in that game compared to BC2, where I loved almost every map and found almost every weapon usable (aside from sniper rifles, which just aren't my thing).

I also liked the classes better in BC2, but that's purely subjective.
Old 04-08-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suggest popping it in and updating it over night. Also, you probably stopped playing before they made it mandatory to re-download Back to Karkand. You may need two nights. I'm I'm not mistaken each update is 1.5 - 2 Gigs.
Old 04-08-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shumway
I suggest popping it in and updating it over night. Also, you probably stopped playing before they made it mandatory to re-download Back to Karkand. You may need two nights. I'm I'm not mistaken each update is 1.5 - 2 Gigs.
Good call. I'll run it overnight...just to avoid the cursing.

I've done the updates a few other times and played for an hour or two to see what's up, so I'm not sure where I am in terms of updates needed. I always end up going back to BC2, usually the same night.
Old 04-08-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 19K
One of the many patches included more destruction. Granted there are still some things on certain maps that are still indestructible (Conex boxes, the structural frames of warehouses and other over-sized buildings, etc)... but BC2 has those indestructible things as well. Some maps need certain structures to keep a little bit of the map integrity. I think you might be surprised if you played a round on Caspian Border how different it is from when you last played. Pretty much every building on that map can be destroyed now. I'm not saying there's uber destruction everywhere... just MORE from when the game first launched and it's definitely noticeable. I don't have any complaints with the destruction. The tanks can blow up everything they need to blow up and people aren't hiding inside buildings anymore.
I was one who liked the gunplay in BF3 and I felt the guns were pretty well balanced. I may have to go back and recheck out the destructibility.
Old 04-08-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good call. I'll run it overnight...just to avoid the cursing.

I've done the updates a few other times and played for an hour or two to see what's up, so I'm not sure where I am in terms of updates needed. I always end up going back to BC2, usually the same night.
If you are a plus member you can update it automaticly overnight. I find that plus seems to download things faster than you going in and manually updating it. I just pop it in and when it askes for the update cancel out. My auto update kicks in at like 12 or 2 am

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.