Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies on DVD: The Official Thread

amazon now lists the release date for the Road Runner DVD as December 26, 2011:

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-S...7064924&sr=1-1
Old 02-19-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That has to be a misprint as that date is a Monday and most DVD releases come out on Tuesday.

Hoping this gets released sooner but I'd rather have them get this right and make all the necessary changes to the shorts before releasing it to the general public. Dump the CGI ones though.
Old 02-19-11, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmw650
That has to be a misprint as that date is a Monday and most DVD releases come out on Tuesday.

Hoping this gets released sooner but I'd rather have them get this right and make all the necessary changes to the shorts before releasing it to the general public. Dump the CGI ones though.

I think it means the release has been postponed indefinitely - which probably happened because of my 1 star review, which is highlighted as being the most helpful review of the DVD.
Old 02-20-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They simply need to re-do this DVD before they ever release it...better shorts of the duo, no CGI nonsense and all uncut and new to DVD episodes especially.
Old 02-22-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TVShowsOnDVD
At the end of January we passed along Warner Home Video's announcement that on May 24th they would release Looney Tunes Super Stars' Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks, a disc with 15 shorts included. Since late on Friday we've been getting messages from many of our readers, letting us know that Amazon.com had sent them e-mails regarding their pre-orders of this title.

What the big e-tailer told them was that the title had been delayed, and gave December 26th as the new ship date. That's a Monday, so we figured that's just a placeholder date, rather than anything actual. Other retailers, such as DVDEmpire.com, continued to show the May 24th date, and Warner's password protected press site continued to show the title's schedule unchanged as well, so we wondered if Amazon didn't make a mistake. We had to wait to check in with the studio, however, since they were off yesterday for President's Day.

Our contact at Warner Home Video did get back to us today, and confirmed that it's NOT a mistake: Looney Tunes Super Stars' Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks actually IS delayed. No reason for the change was given, and a specific new date wasn't available either. But it won't be as long as December, either: Warner tells us to expect it in the Fall 2011 timeframe. Our thanks to everybody who wrote us about it, and also thanks to the studio for filling us in. Stay tuned and we'll update you more about the new street date, as further developments occur.
LINK

The delay on the Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote release has been confirmed by Warner Bros. Hopefully this means they've decided to reevaluate what they're going to do with this release, and put more previously unreleased CLASSIC shorts and scrap the CGI shorts.
Old 02-23-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
LINK

The delay on the Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote release has been confirmed by Warner Bros. Hopefully this means they've decided to reevaluate what they're going to do with this release, and put more previously unreleased CLASSIC shorts and scrap the CGI shorts.
After the fiasco of T&S, I'm hoping they'll re-evaluate the contents of this newest DVD and include the classics and not the newest junk. I'd rather have it delayed some than just releasing a half-assed version of the DVD, but Amit Desai will think it's brilliant though, like he mentions in all press releases attributed to all animation released by WB.
Old 02-23-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why was the Tweety & Sylvester release a fiasco? Granted, it contained nothing but previously released shorts, but they included the proper transfers and it was all classic shorts. Warner Bros. has announced that they plan to release DVDs with previously released material for people who are only interested in certain characters and in an effort to fund further restorations.
Old 02-23-11, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm a little puzzled by that myself. The only disaster was if you didn't bother to seek out the information and learn it was all re-release. Otherwise, no big deal. Frankly, I was glad to find out they didn't slip a couple of new shorts in, otherwise I would have felt abused for having purchased all the Gold Collections.
Old 02-24-11, 03:14 PM
Banned

Why was the Tweety & Sylvester release a fiasco? Granted, it contained nothing but previously released shorts, but they included the proper transfers and it was all classic shorts. Warner Bros. has announced that they plan to release DVDs with previously released material for people who are only interested in certain characters and in an effort to fund further restorations.
I agree with you.
Old 02-24-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Yeah, I'm a little puzzled by that myself. The only disaster was if you didn't bother to seek out the information and learn it was all re-release. Otherwise, no big deal. Frankly, I was glad to find out they didn't slip a couple of new shorts in, otherwise I would have felt abused for having purchased all the Gold Collections.
Mdnitoil and Kstublen,

I am well aware of the fact that the T&S thing contained a repeat of shorts so no need to be puzzled by the statement. I should have clarified it a little bit with a different word as the T&S thing wasn't a fiasco but rather another attempt by WB to capitalize on the same things shown on the Golden Collections, but not sure how sales were. Bottom line, just hoping they get this newest one corrected and not the same old stuff that nobody wants.
Old 07-07-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks" Set for Release on October 5th:
This past February we reported that the previously-announced DVD release of Looney Tunes Super Stars' Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks was delayed until the Fall 2011 timeframe. Today Warner Home Video officially put the title back on the schedule, penning it in for October 4th. The $19.98 cost, the list of shorts we've previously reported, and the package art (below) remains the same, per the info provided by the studio. No other details have been provided at this time. Amazon.com is still taking pre-orders, and we have a button link for that just below. However, be aware that Amazon shows an incorrect date (the day after Christmas); we expect them to correct that in the near future with Warner's newly-provided street date.
Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Coming to Blu-ray:
Originally Posted by Comic-Con
Classic Warner Bros./Hanna-Barbera Cartoons Going Blu-ray

Animation historian Jerry Beck and Warner Archives' George Feltenstein lead a panel of renowned animation and restoration experts, including Spike Brandt (The Looney Tunes Show), Tony Cervone (The Looney Tunes Show), and Paul Dini (Lost, Tower Prep), in presenting and discussing selected vintage cartoons from Warner Home Video's fall 2011 Blu-ray release of the newly remastered Tom and Jerry Golden Collection and Looney Tunes Platinum Collections.
(thanks to Todd B. for posting this in the Blu-ray Forum)
Old 07-08-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you meant to say October 4th and what officially will be on this newest DVD release? Will there be repeats like the other ones had? There were two lists roaming around so not sure of the official contents.
Old 07-08-11, 06:46 PM
Banned

Here's my part to warn people about this horrible travesty:

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-S...0168592&sr=1-1

Looney Tunes Super Stars: Road Runner & Coyote

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

38 of 42 people found the following review helpful:

1.0 out of 5 stars

Warning! These are not the "classic" Raod Runner cartoons that you are probably expecting!

January 29, 2011

By grundle2600 "grundle2600" (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews

"Looney Tunes Super Stars: Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks" contains the worst Road Runner cartoons ever made. Casual buyers who don't know any better are going to be awfully disappointed with this DVD.

These are not the "classic" Road Runner cartoons that were made during the "Golden Age" of Looney Tunes. It would be a shame if this DVD was any young person's introduction to the Road Runner, as it would give them a false impression of what the real Road Runner cartoons were like.

What Warner Bros. should have done instead is to release the rest of the pre-1964 Road Runner cartoons that weren't included in the six "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" releases, plus the wolf/sheepdog and Bugs Bunny/Wile E. Coyote cartoons that weren't included in those releases.

Shame on Warner Bros. for putting out such a horrible collection of cartoons as its first Road Runner single disc release!

Update added on February 3, 2011: Warner Bros has just announced a change to the contents of this DVD. Five cartoons are being replaced with five other cartoons. However, the DVD will still not contain any of the pre-1964 "classic" Road Runner cartoons from the "Golden Age," or any of the wolf/sheepdog or Bugs Bunny/Wile E. Coyote cartoons from that time period. Just like with the original list of cartoons that would be on this DVD, all 15 of the cartoons in the new list were made after the original Warner Bros cartoon studio shut down in 1964. So my original rating of 1-star still stands.
Old 07-08-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be fair grundle, I think 1970 is usually considered the cut-off for "Classic" Looney Tunes. The ones from the later '60s obviously aren't as good as the original shorts, but the ones from the '60s are still fine. I'm much more bothered by them releasing the CGI stuff instead of additional shorts on this release. They've mismanaged all of these releases from the start, even with the wonderful Golden Collections.

I think you meant to say October 4th and what officially will be on this newest DVD release? Will there be repeats like the other ones had? There were two lists roaming around so not sure of the official contents.
Look at my post earlier. I bolded the ones that are going to be on this release as of the most recent report. That could still change though.
Old 07-09-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair grundle, I think 1970 is usually considered the cut-off for "Classic" Looney Tunes. The ones from the later '60s obviously aren't as good as the original shorts, but the ones from the '60s are still fine. I'm much more bothered by them releasing the CGI stuff instead of additional shorts on this release. They've mismanaged all of these releases from the start, even with the wonderful Golden Collections.

Look at my post earlier. I bolded the ones that are going to be on this release as of the most recent report. That could still change though.
I don't see the link you're reffering to...can you point me in the right direction?
Old 07-14-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...ffy-Duck/15649

"The Essential Daffy Duck," my eye. This release is a waste of every big fan's time! Are they really trying to say they're making more money by releasing these sad speciments than the 4-disc "Golden Collections?" For the casual fan, they released the bare-bones "Golden Collection" with 2-discs as well as the 4-disc sets, so I don't see how not everyone was happy. Now it seems like only the cheapskates are happy, but the essential fan-base are not! This release is crap, in case you didn't catch my drift before this.

The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour - DVDs Announced for 'The Essential Daffy Duck'...Woo-hoo!
2-disc set with 21 classic cartoons will be available on the first of NovemberPosted by David Lambert
7/13/2011

Daffy's funniest situations and all his essential appearances are here, from his breakthrough cartoons through his classic clashes with co-stars Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, and Porky Pig. His creation was made possible by the combined efforts of Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Frank Tashlin, Fritz Freleng, Chuck Jones, Art Davis and Robert Cannon. Daffy Duck has been involved in almost every era of Warner Brothers animation; the character has remained one of the greatest and best-loved cartoon stars of all time. Now, the age-old question...who's better, Bugs or Daffy?
That question at the end of the studio description quoted above will be easier to answer on November 1st, when Warner Home Video follows up on last year's release of The Essential Bugs Bunny with the even loonier 2-DVD set titled The Essential Daffy Duck! Priced at $26.99 SRP, you'll get the 21 classic cartoons listed below (please note that this is a copy-and-paste of information provided to retailers by the studio). At the bottom you'll find the Daffy package art...enjoy!
PORKY'S DUCK HUNT
DAFFY DUCK AND EGGHEAD
THE DAFFY DOC
PLANE DAFFY
THE GREAT PIGGY BANK ROBBERY
NASTY QUACKS
BOOK REVUE
DUCK AMUCK
DUCK DODGERS IN THE 24˝th CENTURY
THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKEL
MY LITTLE DUCKAROO
A STAR IS BORED
DEDUCE, YOU SAY
ALI BABA BUNNY
ROBIN HOOD DAFFY
THE DUXORCIST
THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DUCK
DUCK DODGERS JR.
SUPERIOR DUCK
DUCK DODGERS IN ATTACK OF THE DRONES
THE GREEN LOONTURN

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...#ixzz1S5DrTWqY
Old 07-14-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...ffy-Duck/15649

"The Essential Daffy Duck," my eye. This release is a waste of every big fan's time! [bold]Are they really trying to say they're making more money by releasing these sad speciments than the 4-disc "Golden Collections?"[/bold]
Never underestimate the draw of a cheap DVD of cartoons. Think about all those public domain ones that have hours of toons, with a mix of characters, and sometimes go for as low as a $1? And folks that buy discs like this won't care about the quality that much, and certainly won't care about extras. I'm not surprised at all that the Golden Collections weren't as successful as they had hoped.

Even an animation fan like myself bought most of these used, and I still haven't found good prices on Vols 4 and 6. And frankly, they've hardly been watched. As I've said over and over, I would much prefer these to have mixed character sequences, to better replicate the feel of the Saturday morning showings that a lot of us came to know these toons by.

And I haven't even bothered with any of these single disc releases, because of the issues with the matting and the duplication.

For comparison, we leap on every Smurfs release almost the day it comes out. They're usually just a single disc, and they're very cheap.
Old 07-14-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Never underestimate the draw of a cheap DVD of cartoons. Think about all those public domain ones that have hours of toons, with a mix of characters, and sometimes go for as low as a $1? And folks that buy discs like this won't care about the quality that much, and certainly won't care about extras. I'm not surprised at all that the Golden Collections weren't as successful as they had hoped.

Even an animation fan like myself bought most of these used, and I still haven't found good prices on Vols 4 and 6. And frankly, they've hardly been watched. As I've said over and over, I would much prefer these to have mixed character sequences, to better replicate the feel of the Saturday morning showings that a lot of us came to know these toons by.

And I haven't even bothered with any of these single disc releases, because of the issues with the matting and the duplication.

For comparison, we leap on every Smurfs release almost the day it comes out. They're usually just a single disc, and they're very cheap.
Speaking of that...Smurfs V4 is coming out on 7/19/11...probably a tie-in with the new movie.
Old 07-14-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Agreed. I love the Golden Collections; truly quality sets with great extras and an overall nice presentation. The biggest thing they lacked was variety; they should have either committed to random assortments of shorts or do chronological sets. I love Looney Tunes, but it gets a little repetitive watching 2 hours worth of one character and I'm surprised no one seemed to realize that after the first release.

I really hope for the Blu-ray Platinum Collections they'll remedy that, but I don't have faith in Warner Bros. at this point to do right by Looney Tunes. Honestly, if they'd commit to releasing everything on Blu-ray I wouldn't mind the double-dipping, but I'm sure they'll manage to mess those releases up as well.

And I hate to say it, but as long as these releases contain at least some unreleased shorts I'll feel compelled to buy them because I want to get whatever I can on DVD, especially since the next stage of releases is the Warner Archives.
Old 07-15-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Speaking of that...Smurfs V4 is coming out on 7/19/11...probably a tie-in with the new movie.
It's the old show but, yes, I'm sure it's a cross promotion for that dreadful looking new movie.

Agreed. I love the Golden Collections; truly quality sets with great extras and an overall nice presentation. The biggest thing they lacked was variety; they should have either committed to random assortments of shorts or do chronological sets.
The chronological idea would have been best, and I can even see them doing it in tiers, like starting with the Bugs/Daffy stuff at a certain point in time to get the releases going, then back-filling in the old black & white classis stuff, but with everything in order so that you could put the DVDs on your shelf and have a timeline of Looney Tunes animation.
Old 07-21-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm busy now, but at the end of next week I'll be updating the first two posts in the thread to finish off the list of shorts, releases, etc. In the mean time, here's information about the Blu-ray release:

We've passed along word in the past that the classic Looney Tunes shorts were being eyed for possible release on high-def Blu-ray Disc format. And what better day than today, the first full day of the 2011 San Diego Comic Con, for word to leak out about that sort of thing? Over at his Cartoon Brew website, animation historian/expert Jerry Beck has today posted the details about The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 1 on Blu-ray Disc!

Our good friend Jerry (to whom we're very grateful!) reported that "At a special Comic Con panel today in San Diego, Warner Bros. Senior VP George Feltenstein announced the forthcoming release of the first Blu-Ray collection of classic Warner Bros. cartoons, The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection". The panel included Paul Dini, directors Spike Brant and Tony Cervone, and was moderated by Jerry himself. There they showed a presentation to compare DVD and Blu-ray quality on these types of cartoons...we aren't attending Comic Con ourselves, but understand that the difference was very obvious and significant.

Back at Cartoon Brew, Jerry provided an (incomplete) list of the contents for The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 1. Here it is in a bullet-list format:

Disc #1:
Hare Tonic
Baseball Bugs
Buccaneer Bunny
The Old Grey Hare
Rabbit Hood
8 Ball Bunny
Rabbit of Seville
What's Opera Doc?
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
A Pest In The House
The Scarlet Pumpernickle
Duck Amuck
Robin Hood Daffy
Baby Bottleneck
Kitty Kornered
Scardy Cat
Porky Chops
Old Glory
A Tale Of Two Kittie
Tweetie Pie
Fast And Furry-ous
Beep Beep
Lovelorn Leghorn
For Scent-I-Mental Reasons
Speedy Gonzales

Disc #2:
One Froggy Evening
The Three Little Bops
I Love To Singa
Katnip Kollege
The Dover Boys
From A To ZZZZ
Chow Hound
Feed The Kitty
Hasty Hare
Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century
Hareway To The Stars
Mad As A Mars Hare
Devil May Hare
Bedevilled Rabbit
Ducking The Devil
Bill Of Hare
Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare
Bewitched Bunny
Broomstick Bunny
and several others to be announced

Bonus material includes:
several Behind-The-Toons pieces and Chuck Jones documentaries
numerous bonus cartoons including Chuck Jones' FDR re-election film, Hell Bent For Election (1942)
a rare Air Force re-enlistment film, A Hitch In Time (1955)
Ken Mundie's expressionist anti-war animated short, The Door (1967)
2 all-new documentaries on Marvin The Martian and The Tasmanian Devil

Jerry concludes his story by describing the packaging, and saying to expect the title in November. However, Amazon has posted pre-order listings for the title, which tells (and shows) us a bit more about all of this! What we see is that there will actually be TWO versions of The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 1 on Blu-ray Disc, both due on November 15th (may be subject to change). The standard package (pictured just below) costs $59.96 SRP, and consists of a 52-page "digibook" with rare images, along with the discs. There will also be a separate The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 1 Limited Edition Blu-ray version for $79.98 SRP, with the same basic package slid into a larger box that also includes a Framed Litho Cel with Certificate of Authenticity, a Souvenier Tin Sign, and a 2.5 oz Character Collectible Glass. Jerry's post at Cartoon Brew also mentions a commemorative magnet, too. The Limited Edition package (shown in a "beauty shot" at the bottom) is numbered, for greater exclusivity and collectibility. You can pre-order these from Amazon.com right now at a discount, and lock in your high-def copy!

Jerry Beck will return to the Shokus Internet Radio's signature program, Stu's Show, on August 10th. You can listen to him discuss (and ask him questions!) about this and other Looney Tunes releases, plus other titles such as Tom & Jerry and more! Be sure to tune in.

SOURCE

Off the top of my head, I see a lot of previously released shorts. However, it actually looks like we're getting a variety of shorts on each disc, instead of just a disc full of one character, which is fantastic news. I'm not completely familiar with the storage capacity of Blu-ray discs, but it seems like they'd be able to fit more than 25 shorts per disc, right? I sort of wish Warner Bros. would commit to releasing every short on DVD or Blu-ray; because there's really a ton of shorts that haven't been released yet and I can totally seem them discontinuing these releases after a while, just like the Golden Collections.

My biggest complaint though is that I really wish this wasn't being released in a digibook format though, since I can't stand those and it really disrupts the uniformity of my Blu-ray Collection.

Last edited by kstublen; 07-21-11 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like good news for the BD fans out there.
Old 07-21-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll definitely pick this up, but it seems a little weak that a Blu-ray Collection would have fewer shorts than the DVD Collection.
Old 07-21-11, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll definitely pick this up, but it seems a little weak that a Blu-ray Collection would have fewer shorts than the DVD Collection.
In a way you're getting 50 shorts on 2 discs, compared to 60 shorts on 4 discs. But then again, the single-layer capacity of a Blu-Ray disc is 25GB and there is no way one Looney Tunes short takes up 1GB. They could easily fit 50 shorts (and more) on one Blu-Ray disc. I don't see why this first volume couldn't contain 100 shorts, at least. Maybe the first volume will only have 50 shorts and that number gets increased with each subsequent volume.
Old 08-31-11, 07:05 PM
Banned

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...er-Stars/15875

Love Stinks: 'Pepé Le Pew: Zee Best Of Zee Best' DVD

December 27

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.