Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

AINOA (Austrian sci-fi flick) DVD available with English subs?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-18-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPIhnveH0Dg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MPIhnveH0Dg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Is this movie on DVD or blu-ray with English subs anywhere?

It looks like a cross between Dune, Star Wars, and Gattaca..
Old 11-18-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to settle for the English dubbed DVD if you can't find a subtitled release?
Old 11-18-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: AINOA (Austrian sci-fi flick) DVD available with English subs?

Originally Posted by flixtime
Are you going to settle for the English dubbed DVD if you can't find a subtitled release?
naaa...I heard that the dubbed version is awful. If that's the only version available, then I would rather not see it.
Old 01-22-14, 07:38 AM

I know this thread is more than old, does someone by chance own this movie? I would love to purchase it! Or could someone give me the Name of the Ebay seller/ or simply a site where i can buy the dvd?? Price doesnt Really matter!

I've heard in a second Thread (the same site - /movie-talk/582238-whats-name-animated-japanese-movie.html) that there are two versions, i would be happy with both! English and german.

Last edited by Hellghast34; 01-22-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 10:45 PM

I'd never heard of Ainoa until you bumped this post, but was curious and did a little web searching. It doesn't appear there ever was a German DVD. See web page http://homemoviecorner.wordpress.com...-movies-ainoa/ (in German). One sentence from the writeup:
PPS: Yes , I would buy immediately a DVD.
And this is from November of last year.
Old 02-03-14, 07:39 AM

@thetao

Yea, its pretty rare, i am from Austria so i've done some research too and came across the same site, Buena Vista (Disney) bought the Distribution rights but than dropped the movie...

BUT, the thing is... The Director worked a Year in Japan, during that time he got a tiny Japan distribution Deal and thats why you wont find any dvd on the european market... it only got released in Japan (english audio, japan subs). There are probably only 500 copys in japan...

Look here! [ forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/582238-whats-name-animated-japanese-movie.html ]
Some Japan ebay seller offered it couple of years ago, if only someone knows who this ebay seller was... or someone knows a diffrent ebay seller from Japan who sells this kind of movies!

Does someone know how i can come in contact with toddly6666 ?

There is still hope that i can get my hands on one copy and upload it, otherwise this will be lost and dead forever.. like you said, nobody knows about this movie
Old 02-03-14, 08:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hellghast34
Does someone know how i can come in contact with toddly6666 ?

There is still hope that i can get my hands on one copy and upload it, otherwise this will be lost and dead forever.. like you said, nobody knows about this movie
  1. I would have thought you could PM toddly666.
  2. My apologies if I have misunderstood you but, even if with the best of intentions, I would not discuss plans for uploading copyright material.
Old 02-03-14, 01:50 PM

@Hellghast34

You may need 10 posts before the PM system becomes available.

But I misunderstood! I assumed you were wanted an original German language version of the film. There are plenty of copies of Ainoa still for sale in Japan. See http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%A9%E3.../dp/B0012QE12E . (If that doesn't translate properly, visit http://www.amazon.co.jp , choose "DVD" from the category menu, and search for "Ainoa".)

I can get a copy shipped to me for US $30.30. The cost for shipping is twice that of the DVD. But while the disk is listed as new, the description also calls it a "rental". I'm not sure what that means...possibly some idiosyncrasy of the Japanese DVD market. Shop around and you may find an even better deal.
Old 02-03-14, 02:27 PM

@thetao
Thank you!! thats exactly what i was looking for ... that rental thing confuses me!

@benedict
It isnt available here, and it wont be, lets just say.. everyone i know who wanted to buy this ended up forgetting about it (to hard to get), you can find everything else in the internet (on that way more folks get to know about it) and if someone likes it enough he will buy it... (my point is, this wont make any profit here.. cause it wont be released, and no one knows it.. even then only freaks would go so far to buy it for an expensive export from japan).. there is much more profit in people get to know about it, than it dying a slow death in japan! I mean even on this forum is hardly anyone who knows about this film and that is the greatest testament, because i assume this is a place for film lovers! And i dont know a single person who didnt watch something copyright protected on youtube or elsewhere... just saying!
Old 02-03-14, 02:46 PM

@thetao
Is it even possible to order something from amazon japan? (i cant even choose my country..)

EDIT: I ordered it now Thanks again.. you helped me big time!

Last edited by Hellghast34; 02-03-14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 03:50 PM

Excellent! And while I know you wanted a copy very badly, I hope you didn't pay too much!

I know some Japanese, but not enough to unravel the "rental" reference. If nobody else here can clarify it, I may look up an old friend who is much more familiar with Japanese culture...
Old 02-04-14, 06:11 AM

I bought one of the used ones (the only one with international shipping) which ended up really cheap... but if someone wants to buy it new, he would pay 52$, there is even a newer dvd version (2008) which costs 170$ with shipping costs... thats just crazy.
Old 04-16-14, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here I am! So is there an English-subtitled version of this film yet?