Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Originally Posted by statcat
to me the only thing lacking from those new songs are Elliot Easton's great solos
I have noticed that some of the postings on youtube have made reference to the fact that neither song has a solo.
But ya gotta remember not every Cars song had a solo and sometimes when they did, they were short and sweet (like Dangerous Type).

The Cars have been away so long and the songs that get played on the radio are mostly the Hits,so I feel people are expecting Zeppelin type solos or something,which you are not gonna get with The Cars.
With The Cars it was always about the song rather than flashy playing ....that said, it would be nice if there were 3 or 4 tasty solos from Elliot!...I just wouldn't expect every song to contain a solo.
Old 03-28-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drake
I have noticed that some of the postings on youtube have made reference to the fact that neither song has a solo.
But ya gotta remember not every Cars song had a solo and sometimes when they did, they were short and sweet (like Dangerous Type).

The Cars have been away so long and the songs that get played on the radio are mostly the Hits,so I feel people are expecting Zeppelin type solos or something,which you are not gonna get with The Cars.
With The Cars it was always about the song rather than flashy playing ....that said, it would be nice if there were 3 or 4 tasty solos from Elliot!...I just wouldn't expect every song to contain a solo.
The thing about Easton's solos is they always fit in with the song so well- it wasn't just flashy playing or random filler.

I totally agree with what he says here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0NHSg-eUWgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by statcat; 03-28-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've only heard what...two songs so far? I'm sure we will hear a classic Elliot solo.

The solo from Just What I Needed Ranks up there as one of my all time favorites. It just fits. No overplaying. It's just right.
Old 05-03-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Complete album streaming on RS.com. Listened twice all the way through, sounds great!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...years-20110503

or direct link here:
http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/cars.html
Old 05-03-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I haven't bought a CD in God knows when but this one is coming home when it hits the stores.
Old 05-03-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A very good album, miles better than Door to Door. Thanks for the link Chrisedge, will definitely be getting this.
Old 05-03-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://stream.movelikethis.com also has it and they are in 128bit MP3's format

I will be buying this day one. But I want to listen a bunch before I see them next week...
Old 05-03-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm listening right now and it's a smash. I'm definitely picking this up to support them. Especially since I never thought I'd hear anything new ever again.
Old 05-03-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by boc4ever
I'm listening right now and it's a smash. I'm definitely picking this up to support them. Especially since I never thought I'd hear anything new ever again.
Holy FUCK! This album is absolutely amazing!! Who'da thought!?
What a great year for older bands. First that new Duran Duran
album. Then the new Human League. And now, Stevie Nicks.
I'm loving this
Old 05-04-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Free" is pure classic Cars!
Old 05-06-11, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First listen and those two songs that have been available for preview (Blue Tip, Sad Song) seem to be the best tunes. Hope more listens reveal otherwise.
Old 05-06-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
First listen and those two songs that have been available for preview (Blue Tip, Sad Song) seem to be the best tunes. Hope more listens reveal otherwise.
I think it is really solid overall. I ordered the Best Buy Exclusive edition with the videos and bonus tracks. It is only $9.99 plus tax shipped!
Old 05-06-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I think it is really solid overall. I ordered the Best Buy Exclusive edition with the videos and bonus tracks. It is only $9.99 plus tax shipped!

I didn't know BB had this "Edition". Is it online only or pre-order in store?
Old 05-06-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Move+Lik...this&lp=1&cp=1

Not sure if you can pre-order in store but it is free shipping anyway.
Old 05-08-11, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it is really solid overall.
Guess I'm going to have to disagree, sadly. After three listens only half the tunes are decent. A few are just boring and sound like the lower half of every Ocasek solo album. I still adore Blue Tip, though. I'm pretty sure if you listened to any of the first 5 albums next to this it would pale.
Old 05-08-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rolling Stone gave it a great review. Here's an excerpt:

Move Like This is a reminder that New Wave can still sound new, especially when the Cars do it. Produced with skillful restraint by Ocasek, his bandmates and the dependable Jacknife Lee (the Hives, Snow Patrol), the album calls to mind adjectives long associated with the Cars: taut, sleek, seamless, efficient. It's a record that whizzes past — 10 songs in less than 40 minutes — leaving behind a dark gleam.
Old 05-08-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in agreement that it's not so great but then again I only really like the first two cars albums. The rest don't too much for me.
Old 05-08-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by statcat
I'm in agreement that it's not so great but then again I only really like the first two cars albums. The rest don't too much for me.
That's cool. To each his own. I guess I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I'm actually toying with the idea of going to the concert at the Electric Factory, but I'm not sure I want to pay $60 to stand in the back (it's all GA). I'm guessing they'll put out a DVD of one of the shows.
Old 05-08-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's cool. To each his own. I guess I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I'm actually toying with the idea of going to the concert at the Electric Factory, but I'm not sure I want to pay $60 to stand in the back (it's all GA). I'm guessing they'll put out a DVD of one of the shows.
I love the Electric Factory! Great venue. Please go. I had to get tickets via StubHub and pay through the nose to see them at the 930 Club here in D.C. But I know it's going to be a monumental show.
Old 05-09-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I love the Electric Factory! Great venue. Please go. I had to get tickets via StubHub and pay through the nose to see them at the 930 Club here in D.C. But I know it's going to be a monumental show.
There are tickets still available so I may go for it. I really feel I should since I never saw them back in the day. I truly do hate the Electric Factory. Mostly because I saw a bunch of metal shows there and there is no real escape from the pit. I don't really see the pit being much of an issue for the Cars. Unless of course they play Dangerous Type, then I would have to get it started. I almost went to see the Orb play the 9:30 Club, but instead opted for Irving Plaza in NYC. I think it was sold out. I've heard it is a great venue.
Old 05-09-11, 10:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd love to go see them...just not sure I want to shell out $100+. I definitely plan on getting the album though.
Old 05-09-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to see them but the ticket prices were a bit high. I'm honestly more excited to see a new band that does new wave/power pop like the Biters than them in a small club for $8. 10x the value there to me
Old 05-10-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Complete album streaming on RS.com. Listened twice all the way through, sounds great!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...years-20110503

or direct link here:
http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/cars.html
I went out and bought the cd after listening to the stream a couple times (thank you Reward Zone points). It's a quality album and the cd sounds great.
Old 05-11-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
I went out and bought the cd after listening to the stream a couple times (thank you Reward Zone points). It's a quality album and the cd sounds great.
Agreed! I'm hoping the album charts fairly high next week. Even though album sales are mostly dead these days.
Old 05-11-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went and got the deluxe cd from BB. And super excited to see them Thursday! Hopefully get some decent videos from the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.