Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Originally Posted by cungar
Fallon comes off sounding like a 12 year old kid nervously interviewing his idol.
Apparently this is the first time you have seen Fallon doing the guest interview portion of his Late Night show....or you would have know this is pretty much the exact way that ALL his interviews go (unfortunately)....
Old 05-09-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Apparently this is the first time you have seen Fallon doing the guest interview portion of his Late Night show....or you would have know this is pretty much the exact way that ALL his interviews go (unfortunately)....
You're right. Never seen it. But thanks for warning me.
Old 05-10-10, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Roger Waters and Floyd fan, but I'd rather have an Animals tour then The Wall, which is not one of my top Floyd albums. Piper, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, and Animals are all preferable to The Wall imo.
Old 05-10-10, 10:13 AM

Picked up tickets for the second MSG show today.They went on sale as I was trying to get tickets for the first MSG show.Saw the original show at the Nassau Colesium way back when.I doubt very much there will be any encores.The Wall will be all over the stage at the end.Should be an excellent show all the way.
Old 05-10-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got way better tickets for the Dallas show from the general sale than the AmEx presale. Now I just need to figure a way to unload the first set without taking a loss.
Old 05-10-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I bought $50 nosebleeds for the Sunrise, FL show and that works for me. I'm sick of The Wall ("Meddle" live would be much more interesting) but I've never seen Waters perform before.
Old 05-10-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I had two nice $99 seats on the hook, but the "verified by visa" feature wouldn't work me, so I lost them. Now all that's left are some that are much too high up for me, and some that are much too expensive.

Bummer.
Old 05-10-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I thought I was gonna go, but at $400 for 2 decent-but-not-great tickets before all the fees, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Yeah. I ended up with tickets similiar to those. My friend, who does very well, said he'd pick up the tickets and got those without asking if I had any limitations on pricing. Luckily he told me I have till the date of the concert to pay him back.
Old 05-10-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got this email from Live Nation:
By Overwhelming Demand A Second Show Has Been Added

On Sale Now!

Roger Waters
Sunday, November 14
BankAtlantic Center
Old 05-10-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

12 more dates were added.
Old 05-10-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
12 more dates were added.
Indeed, here are all the added dates:

09/18 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
09/23 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
10/01 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
10/06 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
10/13 – Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Coliseum
10/20 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
11/04 – Meadowlands, NJ @ IZod Center
11/11 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center
11/14 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Bank Atlantic Center
11/30 – Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center
12/08 – San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
12/14 – Anaheim, CA @ Honda Centre
Old 05-10-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some cheap seats earlier this afternoon. Definitely not ideal seats, but I'm not sure there'll be a bad seat in the house for a show like this.
Old 05-11-10, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wanted to go see Roger again but these prices are insane. I got to a lot of shows most of them are under $30, this show would be worth like $60-70, but $90 for horrible seats is terrible imo.
Old 05-11-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I picked up 2 of the cheap seats (sad that $75 are the cheap seats) for Hartford, which is what I wanted. There was no way I was paying over $100 to see this show. I've only seen Roger once, in 1999, and I think I payed $35 for the ticket. I remember at the time in interviews he was saying he wanted to keep ticket prices down and that prices that bands like the Eagles charge were ridiculous. I guess things have changed in the last 10 years now that he knows people will actually pay to go see his shows.

The question I have is has it been confirmed that Roger's going all out with the production (building the wall, etc...)? Nothing I've seen or read has said anything other than he's playing the Wall in its entirety. I realize there will be a certain amount of "theater" involved as there is in everything he does, but you guys all seem certain that this will be on par with the 80-81 shows. I'm hoping its a big production because I'm guessing Roger will be singing about 1/2 of his vocals and lip syncing the rest. I don't think there's any way he can sing stuff like Don't Leave Me Now, Hey You (final verse), or Run Like Hell at this point in his career.
Old 05-11-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312

The question I have is has it been confirmed that Roger's going all out with the production (building the wall, etc...)? Nothing I've seen or read has said anything other than he's playing the Wall in its entirety. I realize there will be a certain amount of "theater" involved as there is in everything he does, but you guys all seem certain that this will be on par with the 80-81 shows. I'm hoping its a big production because I'm guessing Roger will be singing about 1/2 of his vocals and lip syncing the rest. I don't think there's any way he can sing stuff like Don't Leave Me Now, Hey You (final verse), or Run Like Hell at this point in his career.
From what I understand it's the whole shebang, wall and all.

From ticketmaster:

"...a monumental tour featuring a full band and a newly-mounted state-of-the-art production of his epochal masterpiece of alienation and transformation performed in its entirety."

I'm not entirely familiar with the original tour, but I'd imagine that this will be fairly close.
Old 05-11-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping its a big production because I'm guessing Roger will be singing about 1/2 of his vocals and lip syncing the rest. I don't think there's any way he can sing stuff like Don't Leave Me Now, Hey You (final verse), or Run Like Hell at this point in his career.
He had someone else singing during many of the songs when I saw him a few years ago. Maybe just Gilmour's parts, but I though there were others.
Old 05-11-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
He had someone else singing during many of the songs when I saw him a few years ago. Maybe just Gilmour's parts, but I though there were others.
He does usually have someone else singing Gilmour's parts, but I can't imagine him not singing his parts. Yeah, the guy is getting old, but I thought Live 8 sounded great, and that was only a few years back.
Old 05-11-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I just checked Ticketmaster. No $55 nosebleed seats left. No $75 seats left. Plenty left in the middle of the floor at $199 each, or I could get 7th row right in the center for the insane price of $699. Each.

Roger Waters can eat a dick.
Old 05-11-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
I just checked Ticketmaster. No $55 nosebleed seats left. No $75 seats left. Plenty left in the middle of the floor at $199 each, or I could get 7th row right in the center for the insane price of $699. Each.

Roger Waters can eat a dick.
Yeah after a career of writing lyrics about the injustices of the world, charging that kind of money during these economic times stinks of hypocricy. Especially when he's performing an album that's partially about the divide between performers and their audience.
Old 05-12-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever
He does usually have someone else singing Gilmour's parts, but I can't imagine him not singing his parts. Yeah, the guy is getting old, but I thought Live 8 sounded great, and that was only a few years back.
The only reason I even bring up the notion is because he's done it alot in the past. Listen to the "In the Flesh" live cd. During the last verse of Every Stranger's Eyes it clearly transitions from his live vocals to what I'm pretty sure is the studio recording. He sings "and now" but the track kicks in for "from where I stand." If you do a search on youtube you'll find lots of video evidence.

He doesn't do it on every song, just the songs that have those high screechy parts that are classic Roger. The Wall is filled with those moments. I would be shocked if a good portion of the vocals aren't prerecorded.
Old 05-12-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only reason I even bring up the notion is because he's done it alot in the past. Listen to the "In the Flesh" live cd. During the last verse of Every Stranger's Eyes it clearly transitions from his live vocals to what I'm pretty sure is the studio recording. He sings "and now" but the track kicks in for "from where I stand." If you do a search on youtube you'll find lots of video evidence.

He doesn't do it on every song, just the songs that have those high screechy parts that are classic Roger. The Wall is filled with those moments. I would be shocked if a good portion of the vocals aren't prerecorded.
That would be highly disappointing for sure. I would think integrity would play a bigger role...
Old 05-12-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

During the original Wall shows in 1980-81 the production used the "surrogate band" theme of the album to some extent. If I recall correctly they had musicians doubling each member of the band during parts of the second half of the show. These were of course real musicians who helped out the band in all their concerts like guitarist Snowy White.

This time they could simply have a "surrogate vocalist" for Roger.
Old 05-12-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever
That would be highly disappointing for sure. I would think integrity would play a bigger role...
I think for Roger, the concept of his show outweighs the individual performance. I didn't see his recent Dark Side tour in person but I think in his mind both Fletcher Memorial Home and Sheep fit into the whole anti-Bush/war concept he was going with and they NEEDED to be in the show. It didn't matter that there was no way he could sing those songs the way they were originally sung, at least not on a nightly basis. The ideas/concepts are what's important to him. I think that's also the reason he hasn't released a new album despite doing a lot of writing and recording earlier this decade. He has the songs, but he doesn't have the concept to tie them all together.

I don't particularly care for this approach, but if this really is his last tour, I didn't want to miss out. Especially if it's going to be a major spectacle. Plus, even though the Wall isn't my favorite Floyd album, it's definitely a "Roger" album and him performing it solo holds much more interest/validity in my my mind than him doing Dark Side which I think of more as a "whole band" album.
Old 05-12-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While this would be a great experience, the prices are just far too astronomical for me at this point. Given the scale of the production and budget, I am hopeful there will be a decent live DVD of the tour at some point down the road. Kinda get spoiled by paying $45 to see U2 in the GA section, so higher-priced shows for me are becoming few and far between.
Old 05-12-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read an interview that said he has no plans to record for a DVD. That could obviously change, yet he didn't record his DSOTM tour for release. There are always people who record the shows, some turn out quite well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.