Reload this Page >

What are games worth to you?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-21-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the folks in this forum aren't as extreme as those on CAG, I know a lot of us like to get games for less than the standard $60. I've felt that way for so long that I'm practically incapable of buying a game at full retail (I've only done it twice this whole generation). Knowing that with a bit of patience, I can get a game for practically half the price, just makes it really difficult to pull the trigger for $60. And even in the case of buying a game full retail, depending on the game, I would just sell it as soon as I was finished to still keep the cost of the game at, or around, $30.

So for me, games are worth about $30. I respect all the hard work that goes into making games, and the entertainment they provide, but just like Napster de-valued music for me, so to has the rapid drop in (most) game prices.

Just looking at Amazon, I could get Darksiders brand new for $42.77, used for about $10 less, and that game is barely a month old. And many of the popular fall games are around half priced used. Let alone games that are a year old, or better. Two of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I had this generations, Lost Planet and Crackdown, cost me less than $20 combined.

What are games worth to you? What do you feel comfortable paying?
Old 02-21-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: What are games worth to you?

Depends on the game. Single player games I absolutely refuse to pay $60 for. I will wait for them to drop in price to $30 usually.

Multiplayer games that are best enjoyed on Live, I am more willing to pay full price for. While I don't like paying it, and I often look for at least 5-10 off, I will pay the premium because I want to enjoy the online aspect of it while there is a community there to enjoy it with.
Old 02-21-10, 05:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

just got Assassin's Creed II brand new and shipped for $29.99.

in fact i don't think i have paid more then $40 for any of my 20 games that i've gotten for 360 since i got the system in Dec. 09.

that makes me glad as when i was into Gamecube, i would get games on release day and pay the $50 or so for them. now, with such a backlog, i can be picky and get the price i want. if not, i can wait.
Old 02-21-10, 05:31 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sort of in the same boat when it comes to games. Amazon has spoiled me on new games, and before their current crazy price war, I would only buy a few games new. Now that I can get them for 35-45 new, as long as I continue to go from game certificate to game certificate, that has become my new value point. If and when amazon stops this I will go back to used games. If and when they only release games as digital, I will probably finally grow up, and stop playing games.
Old 02-21-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont buy games until they come down to $20 anymore. The only time I'll buy a $60 title is when it's something I've waited a long time for. (RE 5)
Old 02-21-10, 05:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

It depends how badly I want to play it, and like foxdvd, I go from game certificate to game certificate on amazon. For me games like Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 were first day buys, but I didn't pay more than $46 for either of them.
Old 02-21-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second the "it depends on the game" comment, but I honestly don't have a problem dropping $60 on a great new game, single-player or not. I only go through about a game a month, and I try to get as much bang for my buck out of a game as I can. I try not to buy shitty games or games with zero replay value. I've already gotten between 15 to 20 hours out of Bioshock 2, which works out to $3-4 per hour of entertainment. Compared to $10 minimum for a 2-hour movie in the theater, that's a number I have no problem with.
Old 02-21-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I'm using Video Games to help me spend better. It's been hard but I've been waiting months for price drops on games instead spending $60 for new. It's a hobby so even if the game is worth $60, that doesn't mean I need to spend $60. Bottom line is I've been training myself to be patient.

I've been watching games like Resident Evil 5 and a few others drop in price and as soon as it gets to $20 or below I'll bite.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-21-10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am sort of in the same boat when it comes to games. Amazon has spoiled me on new games, and before their current crazy price war, I would only buy a few games new. Now that I can get them for 35-45 new, as long as I continue to go from game certificate to game certificate, that has become my new value point. If and when amazon stops this I will go back to used games. If and when they only release games as digital, I will probably finally grow up, and stop playing games.
First, a little off topic, but I always hate reading things like that. Grow up and stop playing games? I don't like it when people who don't play games dismiss it as kiddy stuff, so its even more distressing when a fellow gamer puts us down. I think more and more video games are evolving into playable movies, with better acting, special effects and story than a lot of Hollywood. I wonder when they will start to be recognized as such.

And as to the cost, I also usually won't pay full retail either, but I wonder with the escalating costs of video game budgets if enough of us wait until they go on clearance, what that does to the industry? More shovelware?

Also, I got around 150 hours of entertainment out of Dragon Age Origins...average cost per hour, 0.30 cents. Two hour movie with popcorn, average cost $20.00.

An interesting look at how high some video games budget's get:

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2010/02...-budgets-ever/
Old 02-21-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Also, I got around 150 hours of entertainment out of Dragon Age Origins...average cost per hour, 0.30 cents. Two hour movie with popcorn, average cost $20.00.
I don't like the entertainment per hour comparison I often see, just because in my case, I can't really compare the different forms. When I go to the movies, I view that as more of an experience (which I'm always willing to pay more for). It's something I do with friends, I'm out in the world (however limited), and the company and discussion that I have afterword makes going to the movies way more valuable than the $5 ticket (I'm a matinee guy).

Also, it's natural to favor one form of entertainment over another, which again throws the entertainment per hour thing out of the window. A concert, is not dvd, is not a movie going experience, is not a cd, is not a book, is not a comic, etc. Depending on what you're into, some things have more weight than others.

But that's just how I look at it.
Old 02-21-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Agreed = 60 bucks for 60+ hours of awesome interactive entertainment in Dragon Age, well worth it. (Of course, I got it for Christmas, but they probably paid close to full price).
Depends on the game. 5 to 60 bucks, although I have bought a couple of 'collector's editions' for more than that if they came with stuff I wanted (Fallout and GTAIV for instance).
On average, the games I currently have on my main console, I've probably paid an average of around 15-20 bucks for, when you take into account price drops (10 bucks for Williams Pinball), trade credit, Goozex trades, etc.
I am also, unlike many gamers, a big supporter of Gamestop's used games. Saving money on games that are generally exactly as good as new, and having the ability to return it within 7 days if I don't like it? Sign me up. Better to pay 40 for a used game that I can return, then 35 on a blind buy and get burned.

That said, I usually do wait until a price drop, in part to save money - not that some games aren't "worth" full price, but I do like getting more for my money, and I don't want to commit to more than one "big" game at a time.

If and when they go fully digital, without giving the consumer the ability and right to resell them or at least trade them back in for credit, at the very least, my max price paid will drop easily 33%, if I continue at all. I will not support a fully digital marketplace, and it frightens me how easily many people cede their consumer rights. As a devils advocate, at least I hear many people saying "I got it on Steam for 50% of the price of the disk version", which is at least giving the consumer a choice - pay more for a transferable copy, or pay less for a version you are limited in controlling.

There will always be those who will pay full price on day one, and I don't know if some of the recent aggressive price wars will continue, or are a symptom of the current larger economic situation.
If the price wars continue, or if massively fewer people are willing to pay "full price" for a brand new game, I think the industry will recalibrate. In a way that might actually be better - right now, many developers churn out sequels because they are almost guaranteed many full price sales, whereas if people's price bar was lower, they might be able to be more innovative and risky (I'm not claiming that sequels are inherently inferior by any means, some of my favorite games are sequels.)

I love video games, and think they are finally starting to make inroads toward truly "mature" games, that don't just get that label by including T&A or blood and guts. Digital Devil Saga 1/2, Nocturne, Dragon Age, and Bioshock are particular examples of that. As an adult who's been gaming off and on for 30 years, I hope the industry continues to grow with me.
Old 02-21-10, 09:19 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
First, a little off topic, but I always hate reading things like that. Grow up and stop playing games? I don't like it when people who don't play games dismiss it as kiddy stuff, so its even more distressing when a fellow gamer puts us down.
I am in no way putting gamers down...it was more of a pissed statement at the direction developers are going. They would love to force digital download only on us. They have forced limits on computer games, with copy protection and other stupid ideas, and it almost killed computer gaming. Yet, you can still play any game on pc for free if you want to steal. I hope we as consumers don't bite on this.

In my heart I hope that the digital music explosion had a lot to do with the fact that you could actually save money with a digital song, because you got to only buy the songs you want. Asking someone to buy two songs on an album they want for 2 dollars or spend 15 bucks on a cd...and you can see why the ipod exploded like it did.

Same thing with a digital rental of a movie. The cost is the same as a rental, but you don't have to leave the house, or wait on a dvd.

With owning a movie or game though, going digital only will just fuck the consumer. Even someone who does not care about paying full price for a game will suffer because the used market on all these items helps keep the upfront price in check. Eliminate the used market, take away the competition, and watch prices go up.

I am and always will be a gamer though. In 1979 when my parents brought home an atari for the first time I was hooked. I have owned just about every gaming system, along with multiple gaming computers over my life. I still play 15-40 hours a week on average. I also happen to just go through a divorce after 14 years of marriage, and yes...the "you need to grow up" in reference to my games came up. Still, I have to keep playing to connect with my kids right?
Old 02-21-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I don't like the entertainment per hour comparison I often see, just because in my case, I can't really compare the different forms. When I go to the movies, I view that as more of an experience (which I'm always willing to pay more for). It's something I do with friends, I'm out in the world (however limited), and the company and discussion that I have afterword makes going to the movies way more valuable than the $5 ticket (I'm a matinee guy).
Personally, the "movie-going experience" has been ruined by a number of different things for me. I'd much rather watch a movie at home without overpriced snacks, incessant advertising, babbling children, and cellphones. These days, most of my friends agree with me. Seeing a movie in the theater is an absurdly overpriced affair these days, and it's one that I no longer romanticize.
Old 02-21-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I'm hanging out for a game at release I pay the retail price and, assuming the game doesn't turn out to suck, I'm happy with that. The only time I regret it is if the new game ends up on the backlog pile and it turns out I could have paid less later. Alternatively, even if I don't get a game on release, the price I end up paying sometimes ends up being pretty much retail anyway (Demons' Souls).
Old 02-21-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
Personally, the "movie-going experience" has been ruined by a number of different things for me. I'd much rather watch a movie at home without overpriced snacks, incessant advertising, babbling children, and cellphones. These days, most of my friends agree with me. Seeing a movie in the theater is an absurdly overpriced affair these days, and it's one that I no longer romanticize.
To me, a game is much more likely to be a "shared experience" than a movie. I don't normally have a lot of problems with theaters other than the price, but when I watch a movie I want to sit down and focus on the movie - whereas a multiplayer game can spur a lot of interactivity with other people.
I see few enough movies in the theater that it's still a somewhat unique experience, but I also take care to make it so by carefully choosing the film, location, and date/time of viewing. I do agree it's overpriced and usually not worth the hassle.
Old 02-21-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$20 is the magic number for me, but for games like Demon's Souls, I would bite at $30-$40.
Old 02-21-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I also happen to just go through a divorce after 14 years of marriage, and yes...the "you need to grow up" in reference to my games came up.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds a little like an easy target to sum up a lot of complex issues.
Old 02-21-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I like to pay $30 new. There are rare titles like Uncharted 2 that I need to have on release day.
Old 02-22-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm more into sports games and unfortunately for that genre if you don't buy it within the designated sports season, it's already dated.

But, I will usually try to wait until it drops to $40 before I pull the trigger.

I mean I would love to wait unti Madden 11 drops to $20, but that is usually when Madden 12 gets released.
Old 02-22-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
To me, a game is much more likely to be a "shared experience" than a movie. I don't normally have a lot of problems with theaters other than the price, but when I watch a movie I want to sit down and focus on the movie - whereas a multiplayer game can spur a lot of interactivity with other people.
I don't doubt that, which was the crux of my argument that different folks look at the price against entertainment value garnered differently. I've been lucky as I've only had one truly bad movie going experience in the last few years, so I still love to go. With games, I really enjoy using them as a way to decompress, so I usually play alone. I've tried gaming online with friends, but the headsets are so bad it's hard to actually shoot the shit and talk. I still really like getting together and having some gaming sessions with my little cousin though in person.
Old 02-22-10, 07:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

$20 is generally the most I've ever paid. I can wait the 1-6 months it takes for the hot game of the day to drop in price. I've paid more a few times, but with store credit or the like, never real money.
Old 02-22-10, 08:08 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if it is a good game that i will get alot of hours out of --- i don't mind spending $60. however, I never by these collector's editions -- I have yet to see one worth the extra money.
Old 02-22-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I usually rent games. $3.50 for 5 days, and maybe I'll rent 2-3 times if I'm into it. It lets me play the newest games on release day for cheap, without the fear of buying a bad game. If I do like a game, I'll buy it at the $60 retail, like Bioshock 2, CoD:MW2, and NHL10.
Old 02-22-10, 09:55 AM

i've never paid $60 for a game.

the only time i paid a game that wasn't on sale was with a gift card.

everything else was either through ebay, on sale at amazon, or best buy's buy 2 get 1 free sale.
Old 02-22-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say that about 90% I spend $25 or less, heck if I can get it for under $15, I'm a happy camper. But there are exceptions where I do spend the full retail to get something. Example: just finished (at least for now) WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 after 4 months of on/off playing and I finally got my 1000 achievement points. Worth every penny. One thing about buying a game at full price...it almost always gets me to at least try it out fairly quickly. Just started playing Mortal Kombat vs DC this weekend, which I got about 4-5 months ago for $25. The cheaper I pay for it, the longer it seems to sit on my shelf (naturally there are exceptions to this too).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.