Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Originally Posted by Decker
Those of you who had a PS3 die on you : Did you see graphical glitches in non-gaming functions before "the end"?
Nope, zero warning. It was fine, then one day it just refused to turn on.
Old 10-01-11, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

I guess I'll just wait and see. It wouldn't be a huge deal for me -- I mean I'd be upset, but I've used it pretty consistantly for over four years now. I've gone through like 3 360s in that time, and replaced my TV. They can't last forever, I suppose.
I'd be a lot more concerned if it were my TV that's messed up since that's brand new (but still under warranty, I suppose). I'll have to see if that weird blue ghosting happens with the TV signal or the Xbox.
Old 10-01-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you who had a PS3 die on you : Did you see graphical glitches in non-gaming functions before "the end"? Watching the X-Men First Class blu tonight, I saw blue ghosting in very bright scenes, then after the movie was over, I saw brief fuzziness and graphical glitches as I navigated around the dynamic theme I was using. Wondering if this is the "beginning of the end"...
For me, I was watching The Fifth Element on Blu and it started freezing up during playback. Died very quickly after that. Ahh, the ol' 60GB, RIP...
Old 10-02-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I guess I'll just wait and see. It wouldn't be a huge deal for me -- I mean I'd be upset, but I've used it pretty consistantly for over four years now. I've gone through like 3 360s in that time, and replaced my TV. They can't last forever, I suppose.
I'd be a lot more concerned if it were my TV that's messed up since that's brand new (but still under warranty, I suppose). I'll have to see if that weird blue ghosting happens with the TV signal or the Xbox.
Just back up the game-saves you don't want to lose. Those are what I most regret losing. I was near the end of 4 pretty long games that I now won't be able to finish just because I don't have the time (or inclination) to start them over.
Old 10-02-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those of you who had a PS3 die on you : Did you see graphical glitches in non-gaming functions before "the end"? Watching the X-Men First Class blu tonight, I saw blue ghosting in very bright scenes, then after the movie was over, I saw brief fuzziness and graphical glitches as I navigated around the dynamic theme I was using. Wondering if this is the "beginning of the end"...
When I had graphical glitches similar to that, it was due to my HDMI cable dying.
Old 10-02-11, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Just back up the game-saves you don't want to lose. Those are what I most regret losing. I was near the end of 4 pretty long games that I now won't be able to finish just because I don't have the time (or inclination) to start them over.
I'm a PS Plus guy. All my saves are already on " the cloud".
Old 10-03-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm a PS Plus guy. All my saves are already on " the cloud".
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5hR5YNqE3K8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 10-03-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, they're really bringing it with Playstation Plus lately. Today they gave away all the Uncharted 2 GOTY DLC for free. That's a nice bonus. Combine that with "free" copies of PvZ, RE 1,2 & 3, launch day discounts of 50% on the two RE HD titles and the assorted themes, sales and such and you've got a pretty impressive September. Yeah, I'd say that's worth the less than $4 it cost me for the month.
They just posted the ps plus sales for next month on the playstaion blog. Pretty much every new release is getting at least 20% off the first week. October is a killer month for psn.
Old 10-03-11, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush
They just posted the ps plus sales for next month on the playstaion blog. Pretty much every new release is getting at least 20% off the first week. October is a killer month for psn.
It seems like a good deal until you realize that by buying all your MS points when on sale from Buy.com, you can effectively receive at least 20% off everything in the 360 marketplace.

Of course, I already have this month's free game Costume Quest which I picked up in a previous sale. There still are some good deals to be had. I'll certainly get Mercury Hg when it's 50 % off at the end of the month. It's a cool cheap puzzler, especially on the PS3 where it makes great use of the six axis.
Old 10-04-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like a good deal until you realize that by buying all your MS points when on sale from Buy.com, you can effectively receive at least 20% off everything in the 360 marketplace.

Of course, I already have this month's free game Costume Quest which I picked up in a previous sale. There still are some good deals to be had. I'll certainly get Mercury Hg when it's 50 % off at the end of the month. It's a cool cheap puzzler, especially on the PS3 where it makes great use of the six axis.
I think the buy.com deal is great until I realize that I get 80% (84% on these ps+ deals) off anything in the psn by gamesharing
Old 10-04-11, 05:15 PM

One more bonus that wasn't mentioned before :

Originally Posted by Playstation Blog
Don’t forget that through the entire month of October, spend $60 in the Store through the month of October, and receive $10 back in November! That goes for anything that uses funds from your Wallet.
I don't think I'll spend that much, but it's a nice bonus, especially compared to the whopping $1.75 rebate Xbox is offering this month.
Old 10-04-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy shit! I started uninstalling Resistance 3 from the hard drive 45 minutes ago and it's still not done.
Old 10-05-11, 10:59 AM

Who would have ever thought that the best video game ad ever would be a PS3 ad that doesn't feature Kevin Butler? This is absolutely brilliant!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mdWkKKSckNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-05-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a cool commercial
Old 10-05-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be better if my name was Michael.
Old 10-05-11, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
It would be better if my name was Michael.
Mine is.

But to be fair, it should really have Cole and Drake bitching about how many times I killed them and Enzo and Solid Snake responding that it could be worse and that I still haven't unwrapped their games yet!
Old 10-12-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm stunned there are no posts about the PSN account breach again. I like how they tried to downplay it and say the number of compromised accounts was 1/10th of 1% of the total PSN accounts. I'm not sure that detail really helps people feel any better about Sony's ability to protect their customers. I realize they say credit card info is safe but I have a real problem believing them after last time.
Old 10-12-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fact that they figured it out, took steps once they realized it, and, notified us about it is fine with me. Same thing could happen to Xbox just as easily.
Old 10-12-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

anyone here, get one of the emails:

Accounts affected by the mass access attempt have received prompts via email to reset their passwords.
Old 10-12-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redbill
anyone here, get one of the emails:

Accounts affected by the mass access attempt have received prompts via email to reset their passwords.
I received that, but not an e-mail telling me to change my password.
Old 10-13-11, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

For crying out loud, this was not "another PSN breach". Someone got a list of usernames and passwords from another site that has nothing to do with Sony, and used those usernames and passwords to try to login to the PSN and Sony entertainment. Sony detected the large number of invalid username/password attempts, and blocked access to those accounts. They did their job perfectly, and probably didn't even have to notify anyone, but they did, probably because they knew if they didn't, some internet douchebags would accuse them of trying to cover something up.

I'm sure this happens all the time all over the internet. Do you really think the "hackers" who had access to those usernames didn't try to access other sites beside the PSN?
Old 10-13-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got around to playing Costume Quest since it's free for PS+. I hesitated because I figured it was just a kiddie game (which I guess it is), but damn that game is FUN. If you have PS+, I highly recommend picking it up before tuesday. It's really short, but I seriously had so much fun with it, I'm tempted to pay the $5 for the DLC now.
Old 10-17-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine is.

But to be fair, it should really have Cole and Drake bitching about how many times I killed them and Enzo and Solid Snake responding that it could be worse and that I still haven't unwrapped their games yet!
LOL, then you're not that Micheal Kratos didn't get to say anything
Old 10-17-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
When I had graphical glitches similar to that, it was due to my HDMI cable dying.
How does a HDMI cable die? Can it really die on you?
Old 10-17-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything can wear out over time. Also, if there is bend/stress in a specific juncture of the cable, that can cause problems over time as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.