Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

Here's another one. Just realized tonight while listening to "The Wall"...

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/296485553&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&vi sual=true"></iframe>

Last edited by JZ1276; 12-06-16 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WijRDEmGMcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love Third World. They totally jumped the Prince bandwagon with their 1985 song Sense of Purpose. They put When Doves Cry through the grinder and added a bit of their own flavor.
Old 02-28-17, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

U2 accused of ripping off guitarist’s song: suit

From nypost.com:

A British guitarist and songwriter is suing U2 and its front man Bono claiming that the famous band stole one of his songs for their 1991 album “Achtung Baby.”

Paul Rose said U2 lifted multiple elements of his song “Nae Slappin” for their hit song “The Fly” at a time when they were desperately searching for a new sound.

“An ordinary lay observer would reasonably find that the songs are substantially similar and that an infringement has occurred,” Rose claimed in his Manhattan federal court lawsuit.

He is seeking $5 million in damages, lawyers’ fees and songwriting credit for “The Fly.”

U2 heard Rose’s “Nae Slappin” after it signed on with record company Island Records in 1989 — the same year Rose had provided a demo tape to recording studio’s executives, who listened to it often in their offices, the lawsuit said

At the time, U2 was trying to reinvent itself and the band was listening to lots of different music as inspiration, the lawsuit said.

“Although perhaps the most popular rock band in the world in the 1980s, by that decade’s end the band felt in need of reinvigoration,” Rose’s lawsuit claimed.

What they ended up coming up with was a new version of “Nae Slapping,” including “an elaborate and distinctive guitar solo nearly identical to” Rose’s song, the lawsuit said.

Rose’s lawyer, Thomas Mullaney, said his client is only coming forward now — some 26 years later — because he was just starting out at the time of the alleged theft and he didn’t want it to ruin his career.

Rose also only recently found an ex-Island Records employee who will corroborate his story, including that “Nae Slappin” was often played at Island records when U2 was looking for inspiration of “Achtung Baby,” Mullaney said.

A representative for U2 did not return a request for comment. Island Records, which was also sued, also did not return a request for comment.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/27/u2-accu...sts-song-suit/
Old 02-28-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mxS_f1JWBfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/svnl5cAhdnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-28-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

It's a chorus-only distinction, but One Direction does a pretty blatant Def Leppard rip-off here

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bkx9kCdaaMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AQ4xwmZ6zi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-09-17, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's an industrial artist by the name of KANGA who put out an album last year. Most of her album is thinly disguised "homages" to various Nine Inch Nails songs.
Old 09-29-17, 12:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always been a casual fan of ELO but recently have been listening to them alot. Huey Lewis' "Do You Believe in Love" is a total rip-off of "Sweet Talkin' Woman".
Huey even pretty much copied the opening lyrics:

Do You Believe in Love:
"I was walking down a one way street
Just a lookin' for someone to meet"

Sweet Talkin' Woman:
"I was searchin' (searchin') on a one-way street
I was hopin' (hopin') for a chance to meet"

Last edited by JZ1276; 09-29-17 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-30-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
U2 accused of ripping off guitarist’s song: suit

From nypost.com:

A British guitarist and songwriter is suing U2 and its front man Bono claiming that the famous band stole one of his songs for their 1991 album “Achtung Baby.”

Paul Rose said U2 lifted multiple elements of his song “Nae Slappin” for their hit song “The Fly” at a time when they were desperately searching for a new sound.

“An ordinary lay observer would reasonably find that the songs are substantially similar and that an infringement has occurred,” Rose claimed in his Manhattan federal court lawsuit.

He is seeking $5 million in damages, lawyers’ fees and songwriting credit for “The Fly.”

U2 heard Rose’s “Nae Slappin” after it signed on with record company Island Records in 1989 — the same year Rose had provided a demo tape to recording studio’s executives, who listened to it often in their offices, the lawsuit said

At the time, U2 was trying to reinvent itself and the band was listening to lots of different music as inspiration, the lawsuit said.

“Although perhaps the most popular rock band in the world in the 1980s, by that decade’s end the band felt in need of reinvigoration,” Rose’s lawsuit claimed.

What they ended up coming up with was a new version of “Nae Slapping,” including “an elaborate and distinctive guitar solo nearly identical to” Rose’s song, the lawsuit said.

Rose’s lawyer, Thomas Mullaney, said his client is only coming forward now — some 26 years later — because he was just starting out at the time of the alleged theft and he didn’t want it to ruin his career.

Rose also only recently found an ex-Island Records employee who will corroborate his story, including that “Nae Slappin” was often played at Island records when U2 was looking for inspiration of “Achtung Baby,” Mullaney said.

A representative for U2 did not return a request for comment. Island Records, which was also sued, also did not return a request for comment.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/27/u2-accu...sts-song-suit/
I'm a little dubious that U2 would have to go to the record company for musical inspiration, but if he has real evidence that U2 really did hear his song before recording Achtung Baby, I think he might have a case.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3LNMY3UlbRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-30-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I don't think I'd consider it a rip-off, but David Bowie's "Modern Love" has long reminded me of "Gorgon" by NWOBHM band Angelwitch.

Old 10-02-17, 12:54 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Truth by Pip Blom

Credit to the artist for still adding their own catchy lo fi garage twist to it. But this song is basically a mashup of Song 2 by Blur and Polly and Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Old 10-02-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I've always been a casual fan of ELO but recently have been listening to them alot. Huey Lewis' "Do You Believe in Love" is a total rip-off of "Sweet Talkin' Woman".
Huey even pretty much copied the opening lyrics:

Do You Believe in Love:
"I was walking down a one way street
Just a lookin' for someone to meet"

Sweet Talkin' Woman:
"I was searchin' (searchin') on a one-way street
I was hopin' (hopin') for a chance to meet"
That opening refrain, which is repeated mid-song, is uncannily similar in sound and text, but I find the rest of the ELO song sounds nothing like "Do You Believe in Love".
Old 09-28-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

New Trial Ordered in "Stairway to Heaven" Copyright Lawsuit

From CBS News:

SAN FRANCISCO — A U.S. appeals court on Friday ordered a new trial in a lawsuit accusing Led Zeppelin of copying an obscure 1960s instrumental for the intro to its classic 1971 rock anthem "Stairway to Heaven." A federal court jury in Los Angeles two years ago found Led Zeppelin did not steal the famous riff from the song "Taurus" by the band Spirit.

But a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that the lower court judge provided erroneous jury instructions that misled jurors about copyright law central the suit. It sent the case back to the court for another trial.

Michael Skidmore, a trustee for the estate of late Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe, filed the lawsuit against Led Zeppelin in 2015.

Jurors returned their verdict for Led Zeppelin after a five-day trial at which band members Jimmy Page and Robert Plant testified. Page and Plant, who wrote the "Stairway" lyrics, said their creation was an original, and in several hours of often-animated and amusing testimony, described the craft behind one of rock's best-known songs.

In 2016, Page testified that his chord progression in the song is a common one, comparing "Stairway" to a "Mary Poppins" song, "Chim Chim Cher-ee." He said the chord sequences "are very similar because that chord sequence has been around forever."

The jury found "Stairway to Heaven" and "Taurus" were not substantially similar, according the 9th Circuit ruling.

But U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner failed to advise jurors that while individual elements of a song such as its notes or scale may not qualify for copyright protection, a combination of those elements may if it is sufficiently original, 9th Circuit Judge Richard Paez said.

Klausner also wrongly told jurors that copyright does not protect chromatic scales, arpeggios or short sequences of three notes, the 9th Circuit panel found.

"This error was not harmless as it undercut testimony by Skidmore's expert that Led Zeppelin copied a chromatic scale that had been used in an original manner," Paez said.

The panel also found another jury instruction misleading. Francis Malofiy, an attorney for Skidmore, said in a statement his client faced "unfair rulings at the trial court level" and looked forward "to the challenge of a fair fight."

"Today, we are proud that three esteemed jurists from the 9th Circuit recognized the battle that we fought and the injustice that we faced," he said.

One of the issues that came up at trial was that jurors could only listen to experts' renditions of the sheet music for "Taurus," not the recorded version of the song as performed by Spirit. Steven Weinberg, a copyright lawyer who watched the trial, said the sheet music for "Taurus" wasn't faithful to the recording, so jurors could not fairly compare the songs.

The 9th Circuit in its ruling Friday said jurors should have been allowed to hear the recording to help establish that Page had "access" to "Taurus," meaning he would have been familiar with it.

Weinberg said a new jury will now get to hear a recording of "Taurus."

"I believe that ruling alone has the potential of changing the outcome at the next trial because the jury will finally get to compare 'apples to apples,' he said.

A phone message left with an attorney for Led Zeppelin, Peter Anderson, was not immediately returned.

Carter Evans contributed to this report.

© 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stairwa...it-2018-09-28/
Old 09-28-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Here's another one. Just realized tonight while listening to "The Wall"...

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/296485553&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&vi sual=true"></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a-1_9-z9rbY?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-01-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I did not catch the crappy band or song title but a song came on the radio and the intro sounded just like the bass intro of Nine Inch Nails Only. I turned it up and was ticked, it is some new-punk, millennial-generic-alternative shite.
Old 10-02-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Cooper's legal team sued Kiss and they won. I want to say that Kiss ended up paying low six-figures, I think.
Old 08-02-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Katy Perry and record label hit with $2.7 million copyright judgment

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...002929238.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Christian rapper was awarded $2.7 million on Thursday by a Los Angeles jury that found that Katy Perry's 2013 hit "Dark Horse" contained a musical passage from one of his songs.

The verdict followed a copyright trial in which Marcus Gray, known as Flame, said the beat in his song "Joyful Noise" was lifted and used in Perry's single.

On Thursday, Capitol Records was ordered to pay $1.2 million in damages to Gray, while Perry was ordered to pay $550,000. Producers and other collaborators on the song were told to pay the balance of the $2.7 million award.
Old 08-02-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I wouldnt call it a rip off of one song vs the other but someone pointed out to me that Toni Basil Hey Mickey has the exact same drum riff as the Traveling Willubrie's "Set on you." Kind of funny as I love both songs and never noticed until it was pointed out.
Old 08-02-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

"Got My Mind Set On You" is George Harrison, not the Traveling Wilbury's.
Old 08-02-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
"Got My Mind Set On You" is George Harrison, not the Traveling Wilbury's.
And, it’s a cover of a 1962 song!
Old 08-02-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Katy Perry and record label hit with $2.7 million copyright judgment

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...002929238.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Christian rapper was awarded $2.7 million on Thursday by a Los Angeles jury that found that Katy Perry's 2013 hit "Dark Horse" contained a musical passage from one of his songs.

The verdict followed a copyright trial in which Marcus Gray, known as Flame, said the beat in his song "Joyful Noise" was lifted and used in Perry's single.

On Thursday, Capitol Records was ordered to pay $1.2 million in damages to Gray, while Perry was ordered to pay $550,000. Producers and other collaborators on the song were told to pay the balance of the $2.7 million award.
Rick Beato compares the two songs and thinks the decision was wrong

Old 08-02-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It seems like the jury was just pissed nobody famous showed up to the trial.
Old 08-02-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I was just listening to Weird Al's "Amish in Paradise" and thinking how similar it sounded to Coolio's "Gangsters in Paradise". His "Just Eat It" sounds a lot like one of Michael Jackson's songs as well.
Old 08-02-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I saw Sam Fender yesterday on Jimmy Fallon playing a song that sounded a lot like "Last Nite" by The Strokes.
Old 08-02-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I was just listening to Weird Al's "Amish in Paradise" and thinking how similar it sounded to Coolio's "Gangsters in Paradise".
And they both sound eerily similar to Stevie Wonder's "Pastime in Paradise"
Old 08-03-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.