DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 4

Old 07-07-09, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 4

I didn't see it in the thread, but is it official that the TV sets are part of a flyer starting this sunday? Has anyone seen the ad? I'm looking to see if there is any chance of PMing the sets at Best Buy.
Old 07-07-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Save your receipts. I just opened up Dukes Of Hazzard S-2 to find a serious manufacturing flaw on the 'B' side of disc one. Looks like a half-inch blotch. Some of the discs have a haze on them as well.
Old 07-07-09, 08:05 AM

I opened up my copy of "Wonder Woman" Season 3 and found an extra DVD in a cardboard sleeve containing a episode of the old Filmation "Shazam" series (1974) featuring Jackson Bostwick as Captain Marvel and Les Tremayne as Mentor.
The DVD cover says it's Volume 8 of a Commemorative series honoring Warner Brothers 50 Years of TV. There's also a warning on the back of the sleeve saying: "Promotional titles not currently for sale or rental."
Does anyone have any idea about what the other Volumes of this series contained and in what disc sets they could be found in?
Old 07-07-09, 08:19 AM
Banned

Yea this is something the WB was doing a few years back. I have Volume 4 (That came in Full House: Season 1) and my wife has Volume 10 (That came in One Tree Hill: Season 2). But off the top of my head I cannot remember what TV episode is on each. Its a shame DVDSpot isn't around anymore. They had each volume listed.
Old 07-07-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nivlac
I opened up my copy of "Wonder Woman" Season 3 and found an extra DVD in a cardboard sleeve containing a episode of the old Filmation "Shazam" series (1974) featuring Jackson Bostwick as Captain Marvel and Les Tremayne as Mentor.
The DVD cover says it's Volume 8 of a Commemorative series honoring Warner Brothers 50 Years of TV. There's also a warning on the back of the sleeve saying: "Promotional titles not currently for sale or rental."
Does anyone have any idea about what the other Volumes of this series contained and in what disc sets they could be found in?
Don't remember which sets they came with, but I have:

Volume 2:

"My Sister Sam"
"Room For Two"

Volume 3:

"Perfect Strangers"
"Whose Line Is It, Anyway?"
Old 07-07-09, 08:22 AM

i must go today and get animaniacs. fingers crossed.
Old 07-07-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackepstein
I didn't see it in the thread, but is it official that the TV sets are part of a flyer starting this sunday? Has anyone seen the ad? I'm looking to see if there is any chance of PMing the sets at Best Buy.
At one of the stores I called to ask about these sets the manager told me that they did indeed have these sets in the back, but that they wouldn't be putting them out on the floor until the morning of the 12th. The reason she gave me - because she saw in her ad that starts on that day that these technically shouldn't be sold until that day and on.
Old 07-07-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
At one of the stores I called to ask about these sets the manager told me that they did indeed have these sets in the back, but that they wouldn't be putting them out on the floor until the morning of the 12th. The reason she gave me - because she saw in her ad that starts on that day that these technically shouldn't be sold until that day and on.
That would explain why I haven't seen any at my store. I guess I'll be waiting in the parking lot at 9 a.m. on the 12th. Man, I need a life.....
Old 07-07-09, 10:33 AM

Just found out over at slickdeals that Big Lots is having their Friends & Family 20% off July 19th.

Linky
Old 07-07-09, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nivlac
I've got Volumes 7 and 9.

Vol. 7 has the Smallville episode where Clark Kent is found in the cornfield. (Maybe this is the 1st episode? not sure) Running time is about 47 minutes.

Vol. 9 has an episode of The Flash, starring John Wesley Shipp and Amanda Pays. Running time is about 47 minutes.

Don't remember which Warner Bros TV sets they came from, but I think there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap celebrating Warner's 50 years indicating that there was a bonus dvd inside.

With all this old Warner Bros stock showing up at Biglots, there must be some leftover sets that still have this bonus dvd... Something else to look for....
Old 07-07-09, 10:59 AM
Banned

HERE IS THE DEAL ON WHY YOU CANNOT FIND THESE SETS!
I talked to the manager at my local Big Lots today about these sets since they did not have them out as of yet. She informed me that next weeks add (starting on the 12th) will feature these sets. So they are sitting on them until the add comes out. So do not fret my friends! If you have been unable to find these sets chances are your store has them sitting in back waiting to be put out on Sunday.
Old 07-07-09, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Save your receipts. I just opened up Dukes Of Hazzard S-2 to find a serious manufacturing flaw on the 'B' side of disc one. Looks like a half-inch blotch. Some of the discs have a haze on them as well.
I just checked my Dukes season 2 set and it is ok.

Here is some identifying info on my good set:

The original UPC code on the back of the box has been covered over with another UPC code printed on a white sticker that has been applied on top of the shrinkwrap. The new UPC code is 0 12569 69747 8.

In addition, each dvd is stamped "Made in Taiwan" in tiny print at the inner edge of the dvd. (I thought these discs were made in Mexico, go figure!)
Old 07-07-09, 11:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Don't remember which sets they came with, but I have:

Volume 2:

"My Sister Sam"
"Room For Two"

Volume 3:

"Perfect Strangers"
"Whose Line Is It, Anyway?"
Volume 3 was in my Night Court: Season One
Old 07-07-09, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I talked to the manager at my local Big Lots today about these sets since they did not have them out as of yet. She informed me that next weeks add (starting on the 12th) will feature these sets. So they are sitting on them until the add comes out. So do not fret my friends! If you have been unable to find these sets chances are your store has them sitting in back waiting to be put out on Sunday.
Hellllz yeah! Price matching at BB is a WHOLE lot easier... Now all that matters is what DVD sets are featured in the ad... Would anyone happen to know by any chance?
Old 07-07-09, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2sday
Hellllz yeah! Price matching at BB is a WHOLE lot easier... Now all that matters is what DVD sets are featured in the ad... Would anyone happen to know by any chance?
Not sure but I don't think Best Buy price matches stores like Big Lots. They will only price match some stores and I do not thing discount stores like Big Lots, Ross, etc are included. So keep that in mind.
Old 07-07-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Thanks for the information, I guess I'll stop by Sunday.
Old 07-07-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stopped by my local store again today. They had a big pile of sets, unfortunately all that was in the pile was 10 copies of the Lakers set, 10 Roots: The Next Generation and about 25 Night Court. I'll check back in a few days to see if they have more out yet.

Also, if anyone needs any of those three sets let me know and I can go pick them up for you.
Old 07-07-09, 02:19 PM
ADP

Has anyone seen any of the Friends Box sets in the NC or SC stores?

Hopefully there will be some more classics released soon!

Picked up the following this past weekend:

Kitty Foyle
Wife Vs Secretary
Never So Few
The Last Voyage
D-Day, the Sixth of June

Also picked up a few Doris Day's a few weeks back
Old 07-07-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked up a few. For those in Dallas, the Garland Rd store has the following sets:

Scooby Doo: 5 original movies
The Best of the New Scooby Doo Movies
Animaniacs V1
Pinky & the Brain V2
Roots: TNG
Nightmares & Dreamscapes

I saw, but didn't buy:

The OC S2
Dukes of Hazzard Various Seasons
Joey S1
Superbowl Boxsets
The History of the Lakers
The West Wing S2
Night Court S1

and a few others I can't remember, most had 5+ copies left.
Old 07-07-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure but I don't think Best Buy price matches stores like Big Lots. They will only price match some stores and I do not thing discount stores like Big Lots, Ross, etc are included. So keep that in mind.
Their policy is definitely to pricematch "competitors" and discount stores are definitely not their true competition. However, you never know what a stupid or uninformed cashier might do. So I'm not saying it isn't worth a try, but it's definitely YMMV...
Old 07-07-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its a shame DVDSpot isn't around anymore.
Old 07-07-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by for_reels
Just found out over at slickdeals that Big Lots is having their Friends & Family 20% off July 19th.
That's great news, but I won't be passing on any titles I want since they may not last on the shelves until then. But if I can find some on the 19th, I'll gladly return them with my receipt...
Old 07-07-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tip about Sunday. I've been to four Big Lots and only one had the sets out (well, except for the Scooby-Doo movies, which every store seemed to have plenty of). I managed to get a History of Rock and Roll as a gift and vol 1 of Pinky & the Brain, but I am really hoping for the complete Wonder Woman set.
Old 07-07-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Stopped by my local store again today. They had a big pile of sets, unfortunately all that was in the pile was 10 copies of the Lakers set, 10 Roots: The Next Generation and about 25 Night Court. I'll check back in a few days to see if they have more out yet.

Also, if anyone needs any of those three sets let me know and I can go pick them up for you.
That was similar to my experience today. A store yesterday had a few random Pinky & the Brain sets from a week or so ago, but nothing else. Today I pass by and check to see what they have and there are 2 rows of sets. One has about a dozen Animaniacs (Vol. 2) and another row has 12-15 of the Night Court sets.
Old 07-07-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stopped by a Big Lots on the other side of town (#1072 Haltom City) this morning and found little of interest but picked up the History of Rock 'n' Roll set. When I got it home I found disc 1 had been trapped between the sections of the digipak and was so scratched up it could not be played (BTW who ever thought up that "half a digipak" shit deserves a beating). So it was four hours after my initial purchase that I was able to go back to that store to return the set and sometime in that four hours they restocked the hell out of the place. The shelves that had been half filled were now crammed full. They had seven copies of Smallvile Season 7 on Blu-ray - now there are six, natch - and lots of Thundercats, The West Wing, both Roots and The Next Generation, Animaniacs, four copies of the complete Wonder Woman, and so many of those Scooby-Doo boxes they could've built a wall with them. I had to restrain myself from going hogwild with my buying. So anybody in the Metroplex that wants some of these titles now, go to the store on 377 (and then eat at Oscar's at their new location down the street).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.