Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection - 5/12/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection - 5/12/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection - 5/12/09

Originally Posted by GenPion
Yup. If I can sell my HD DVD set for a decent price I MIGHT consider this as a purchase.
I'm in the same boat...If we go HD-DVD to BD, what do we lose/gain in the quality or extras department (assuming I only care about the remastered versions in HD).
Old 04-23-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you are actually gaining a lot in terms of qaulity, the picture and sound is much better on the new blurays, early reviews are saying.

also you get the original versions of each episode as well to.
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I'm in the same boat...If we go HD-DVD to BD, what do we lose/gain in the quality or extras department (assuming I only care about the remastered versions in HD).
Old 04-23-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

friggen sweeet that is real nice.
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Amazon has matched this deal.
Old 04-23-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon still works out a few dollars cheaper even with the 15 dollar discount bestbuy is offering if you order both.
original series now 64.99 at amazon and the movie series has been 79.99 at amazon for about a week now. would love to see tha movie series come down a few dollars more
Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I wanted note that not only is Best Buy selling the TOS 1st season for $64.99, but they are also selling the movie set for $99.99. If you order both from bestbuy.com, they'll give you a $15 discount.
Old 04-23-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Amazon still works out a few dollars cheaper even with the 15 dollar discount bestbuy is offering if you order both.
original series now 64.99 at amazon and the movie series has been 79.99 at amazon for about a week now. would love to see tha movie series come down a few dollars more
Damn, I swore when I placed my order Amazon's movie set price was only a few dollars less than Best Buy's. (Is it possible they changed it for a little while yesterday?)

It's not a big deal though, since Best Buy started giving free 3-5 day shipping to Silver Reward Zone members. That along with earning reward points on the order makes me feel a little better. =)

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 04-23-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-24-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah amazon matched the price that walmart.com had for the movie set last week. which was a very nice surprise since it had been hovering around 97 since it was first listed.
Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Damn, I swore when I placed my order Amazon's movie set price was only a few dollars less than Best Buy's. (Is it possible they changed it for a little while yesterday?)

It's not a big deal though, since Best Buy started giving free 3-5 day shipping to Silver Reward Zone members. That along with earning reward points on the order makes me feel a little better. =)
Old 05-04-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was in my goldbox today for $75.99. Still not low enough for me to pull the trigger.
Old 05-05-09, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I can totally understand. $12.67 per movie on Blu-ray is totally OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-09, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral7
Yeah, I can totally understand. $12.67 per movie on Blu-ray is totally OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!
$80 is hard to swallow if you only want a few of the movies and not all 6. It will likely be this way for a while as Paramount takes its sweet time splitting up franchises (still no single Godfathers).
Old 05-05-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny because in the old days of DVD, this price would be TOTALLY reasonable for six special-edition movies. We've become so adjusted to insanely low DVD prices that now any Blu-Ray that's over 15 bucks seems unreasonable. I include myself in this.

I spotted the Close Encounters set used for 25 bucks (retails around 50) and STILL felt it was too much to spend on just one movie.
Old 05-05-09, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lamphorn
It's funny because in the old days of DVD, this price would be TOTALLY reasonable for six special-edition movies. We've become so adjusted to insanely low DVD prices that now any Blu-Ray that's over 15 bucks seems unreasonable. I include myself in this.

I spotted the Close Encounters set used for 25 bucks (retails around 50) and STILL felt it was too much to spend on just one movie.
There are kind of a lot of people out of work struggling to pay rent, feed themselves/kids and handle a car payment. Something called a recession
Old 05-05-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn

These are not SE's. Only the orig theatrical version in this set. The looming re-release/double dip of this set with the DC's could make the diff as well.
Old 05-05-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
These are not SE's. Only the orig theatrical version in this set. The looming re-release/double dip of this set with the DC's could make the diff as well.
I meant SE in that they are loaded with extra features, commentaries, etc.
Old 05-05-09, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
$80 is hard to swallow if you only want a few of the movies and not all 6. It will likely be this way for a while as Paramount takes its sweet time splitting up franchises (still no single Godfathers).
Thanks for reminding me: I still need to watch Godfather III.
Old 05-05-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jackson walker
Noooooo! Turn back! It's not too late! Trust me- you don't need to see it. Do yourself a favor and preserve the sanctity of the first two in your mind.
Old 05-05-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson walker
You both remind me why I'm waiting for Paramount to break out Godfather I and Godfather II from that set.
Old 05-06-09, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and there are a lot of people who also are responsible enough to know how to manage there bills and still have a little extra to buy things to enjoy.
There are kind of a lot of people out of work struggling to pay rent, feed themselves/kids and handle a car payment. Something called a recession
Old 05-06-09, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Noooooo! Turn back! It's not too late! Trust me- you don't need to see it. Do yourself a favor and preserve the sanctity of the first two in your mind.
LOL! I was one of the minority that never saw any of these movies (I'm 37) during their heyday. I watched 1 and 2 on DVD when they first came out, and to this day I have still not seen 3.
Old 05-06-09, 09:41 AM
Suspended

and there are a lot of people who also are responsible enough to know how to manage there bills and still have a little extra to buy things to enjoy.
Judging by the amount of people I now see begging for money on the side of the FWY every day I go to work I would say that's a big No. Perhaps where you live in Las Vegas...but in SoCal its a totally different story. Not going to argue about this as I really don't care that much about it because I actually think things through before I buy a vehicle that I can't afford unlike the people who come in on a daily basis now to voluntarily repo their vehicle because they can't make the payment.
Old 05-06-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And people want to spend that money on things they will enjoy, if they even have that money, so spending it on crappy Blu-ray releases isn't exactly a top priority.
Old 05-06-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When will the DVDTalk review of these be up? I'm reading the reviews on Amazon that say these are unrestored and bad-looking.
Old 05-06-09, 02:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
When will the DVDTalk review of these be up? I'm reading the reviews on Amazon that say these are unrestored and bad-looking.
Paramount has not sent these out to reviewers yet. Could be because its a big 7 disc set...or could be because they don't want the emphasis on DNR/EE being paraded around so early. Star Trek S1 was sent out late as well but that appears to be a terrific set. For comparison I already have The Machinist, Without A Paddle, Waynes World 1/2 etc from Paramount. They tend to be a bit more random when it comes to big box sets. I'd say most reviewers will get these tomorrow or Friday so unless you have people working mad hours over the weekend you may not see reviews until mid next week
Old 05-06-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For comparison I already have The Machinist, Without A Paddle, Waynes World 1/2 etc from Paramount.
Wayne's World! Party time! Excellent!

Let us know how those two classics look/sound when you get a chance please!
Old 05-06-09, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Wayne's World! Party time! Excellent!

Let us know how those two classics look/sound when you get a chance please!
I sent them out to someone else who reviews for the site I do. Not a huge fan of those movies. More excited about Without A Paddle - solid comedy flick.
Old 05-06-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, will be waiting for some eyes to see this stuff before buying.

Might just wait and wish for a big extended SE set in 2010-2011.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.