Reload this Page >

whats your fave stephen king book

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

whats your fave stephen king book

Old 03-10-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: whats your fave stephen king book

Too many to just name one, so top 3, and honorable mentions.

1. Pet Sematary
2. Needful Things
3. Misery

HM to Eyes of the Dragon (was a young kid when I read it and he even stated it was intended to be a children's book). In addition, all of his short story books, especially Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons.

Bonus voting...his tv and movie adaptations...

1. Shawshank Redemption
2. Stand By Me
3. Salem's Lot TV Movie

HM to The Green Mile

Last edited by Barth; 03-10-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 09:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm not sure if I've read any besides that woman tied to a bed all book long one. Not sure what made me start with that one. It was alright, and I've always meant to read more of his. Maybe I have and just forgot; I'm obviously not a big reader. So that one.

Edit to add: I think it was called Gerald's Game.
Old 03-11-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

My top three would be:

1) Pet Sematary
2) Salems Lot
3) The Shining

Undoubtedly the books I read when I was younger made a bigger impression, so that may not be a complete reflection of how good they actually are. Though while I've stopped reading a number of authors I used to be into, I continue to read King. He's managed to keep putting out stuff that I like for over 40 years.
Old 03-11-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

The Stand (read 5-10 of his books)
Old 04-14-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I'm currently re-reading It for the first time in 25 years, but I spent last year trying to catch up on some of the more recent novels by King. I'm bored tonight so some quick thoughts:

11/22/63 - easily my favorite post accident novel. Just brilliant beginning to end, so much so I'd put it in a top 5 of all his work.

Revival - awesome and just a total mindfuck ending. You think it's going one way, he drops some hints that may lead it in two to three other directions and nope, he blindsides you with the ending of all endings. Just, wow.

Doctor Sleep - Excellent novel, but very loosely tied to the Shining. Fortunately that doesn't hurt it. Like Revival, you think it's going one way, you want it to go another and King takes you down a different road altogether.

Joyland - part of the Hard Case Crimes series, but it's not much of a mystery or crime novel though. It is a decent little read.

The Dark Tower: Wind Through the Keyhole - TDT is my favorite series but this little novel didn't do much to rope me back into that world. It just didn't have the same magic.

Full Dark, No Stars - EPIC collection of novellas. It's up there with Different Seasons. It'd be cool if these could be made into equally awesome movies.

Bazaar of Bad Dreams - I've only read a few stories so far and it's pretty good. It's been sitting here staring at me for a couple months.

After the Sunset - Also started and only read about half of it. This collection just didn't grab me. I need to get back to it.

As for novels, I need to get to Buick, Cell, Lisey, Duma Key, & his Mercedes trilogy. I think between those and Tommyknockers, I will have finally read all of King's [readily available]work. Well, sorta. I couldn't get through Talisman or Black House. Maybe after I read all the recent stuff I'll go back and try them again.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not sure if I've read any besides that woman tied to a bed all book long one. Not sure what made me start with that one. It was alright, and I've always meant to read more of his. Maybe I have and just forgot; I'm obviously not a big reader. So that one.

Edit to add: I think it was called Gerald's Game.
Easily the worst King book I've read. I haven't read it since it came out in the mid 90's but I remember thinking it would have been a great short story but he probably padded it for novelization for contractual obligations. So if you're wanting to get into King, don't judge on that one book.

It was also about this timeframe (Gerald, Dolores, Rose Madder, Desperation & Regulators) that rumors started surfacing about a ghost writer.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-14-17 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't bother with Tommyknockers unless you're just a completionist. King's drug use during that period was severe and it really hampered his work. That was the only book of his I almost didn't finish.

As long as you are catching up, I highly recommend starting with the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I enjoyed all 3 of those.