Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any "Talk Talk" fans here?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-10-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

I've responded to this review in another thread here on DVDTalk. But I just have to point out to people who might not have seen it. I just rented this from Netflix and this is one of the best live filmed peformances I have ever seen. I was a huge a Talk Talk fan back in the 80's and never got a chance to see them live. This DVD concert captures everything that made them so great. Please please rent this at the very least.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35248
Old 11-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES! One of my top five favorite bands. I've had that concert for years (it's an old bootleg that has finally made its way to legitimate-land).

As a big New Wave/synthpop fan, I like their earlier stuff a hair more than the later more wandering/experimental stuff, but it's all good. I love throwing on "Hate" from the first album, with its two or three simultaneous drum tracks, and cranking the volume.
Old 11-10-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
YES! One of my top five favorite bands. I've had that concert for years (it's an old bootleg that has finally made its way to legitimate-land).

As a big New Wave/synthpop fan, I like their earlier stuff a hair more than the later more wandering/experimental stuff, but it's all good. I love throwing on "Hate" from the first album, with its two or three simultaneous drum tracks, and cranking the volume.
Hi Numanoid. Actually I was quite surprised to see a few Pat Benatar looking looking musicians in this band. But it was still a great concert. It was very nostalgic. And bittersweet
Old 11-10-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big fan here, too, although more from Colour of Spring and on (including Mark's solo work) rather than their earlier material. The DVD you mention was added to my Netflix queue immediately when I first read Bill's review last week.
Old 11-11-08, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A huge fan here, especially of the later, more experimental stuff (although It's My Life is an absolutely perfect synth pop album). Still need to pick up that live DVD, but I can't wait.
Old 11-11-08, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like everything they did, which is saying something considering how radically they changed over the years. There are very few bands who can remain consistently great through such change. Fell in love with their self-titled single in '82 and was floored by "Spirit of Eden" the moment it dropped. I've also had this concert for awhile now. It's awesome that's it available.
Old 11-11-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the more underrated bands of the eighties (and early ninties). Criminally underrespected here in the US. Every album was great and they just kept getting better. Also, it's worth noting that their albums are all beautifully enginnered and still sound terrific.
Old 11-24-08, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this dvd. Just added to my cart at DDD. One of my favorite bands ever.
Old 11-24-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heard some of their stuff on XM 44 Fred (before it got replaced ) Other than some of the well known hits (Life's What You Make It, It's My Life, Talk Talk), Such a Shame and Dum Dum Girl are also really good songs. I'll have to check out more of their stuff.
Old 11-24-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Heard some of their stuff on XM 44 Fred (before it got replaced ) Other than some of the well known hits (Life's What You Make It, It's My Life, Talk Talk), Such a Shame and Dum Dum Girl are also really good songs. I'll have to check out more of their stuff.
Definitely check out "Spirit Of Eden". Don't expect those poppy hits, though. It's a damn good album.