Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Films in ThinPaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Films in ThinPaks

I posted this in the Reno 911 thread, but it's probably bigger than that, so I figured it was threadworthy on it's own.

I got my copy of Reno: 911 Miami More Busted Than Ever! and it's packed in a ThinPak. I believe this is the first time that a major studio has released a single feature film in this type of packaging. I wonder if this is a test, or if this is the way the studios will be heading.

Here's a picture:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=538551
Old 09-05-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I honestly wouldn't mind. Most things are quite overpackaged when it comes to consumer media. Hell, if DVDs were in thinpaks to begin with, my collection would take up half the space.

The one that always got me was the Gen1 games on the original Playstation and Sega Saturn...those cases were absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-05-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I like it. I've actually been putting some of my current collection into slim cases because we're running out of shelf room.
Old 09-05-08, 11:31 AM

I'd be fine of all DVDs were in ThinPaks.
Old 09-05-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SPRBD
I'd be fine of all DVDs were in ThinPaks.
Same here. I fully support this move and wish everyone would do it. Shelf space has been at a premium for me (and retailers) for a while now.
Old 09-05-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What they said. I just bought a third one of these last weekend; my collection was getting close to outgrowing the first two. The only thing that bothers me about this change is that they didn't do it years ago.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 09-05-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sprbd
i'd be fine of all dvds were in thinpaks.
+1
Old 09-05-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
worst idea ever.
Old 09-05-08, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
worst idea ever.
Thank you for that eloquent, well-thought out, and superbly stated response.
Old 09-05-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Considering that DVD's rarely come with inserts anymore, there really is no need to keep releasing them in the standard size case with unused insert clips. I wouldn't mind seeing thinpaks for regular releases since I already love them when they come in box sets.
Old 09-05-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm in the "don't like it" camp. I don't like how you can't read the spine unless you're very close. Sure, they take up less space, but I think they cross the line of saving too much space for their own good. I want my collection to have some shelf presence.

I do like them for TV shows though, where multiple thinpaks can be housed in a box. Then I can read the spine on the box. I wouldn't want them for individual movies though.
Old 09-05-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely want thinpaks for box sets. I was miffed when WB went back to regular cases after going the thin route with the third noir set.
Old 09-05-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm in the "don't like it" camp. I don't like how you can't read the spine unless you're very close. Sure, they take up less space, but I think they cross the line of saving too much space for their own good. I want my collection to have some shelf presence.
I've never had that problem wtih Fox and Anchor Bay, who use distinctive fonts on the spines. But Warners not only uses a plain font, but they set it way to small.
Old 09-05-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I love thinpaks - I have downloaded all the Cover Art which I can from r1db.com and converted over 1/2 of my collection to thinpaks. Now I can buy more DVDs because I have more shelf space. I wish to heck that all new DVDs would come out in thinpaks. Heck, there is even room for thin inserts. All of the DVDs which I converted to thinpaks - there was room to put the inserts in the cases.
Old 09-05-08, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
I believe this is the first time that a major studio has released a single feature film in this type of packaging.
It's not the first time, but definitely one of the few. Warner Bros. during their flirt with thinpaks released both The Long, Long Trailer and Forever Darling in a thinpak both individually and in a Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz set.
Old 09-06-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As another person who is slowly but surely beginning to run out of room, I would definitely be open to all films being packaged in thinpaks
Old 09-06-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't mind seeing all DVDs in thinpaks.
Old 09-06-08, 08:47 PM

Anything with more than two DVD's should be in those as far as I'm concerned. Hardly ever take the Alien Quadrilogy packaging debacle off the shelf because you have to take it to a large table to get at anything. Waste of space and just annoying.
Old 09-06-08, 09:50 PM

I have releases of Saturday Night Fever and Grease from several years ago that are in a "thin" package. The more recent thin packs look much better.
Old 09-07-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
worst idea ever.
Old 09-07-08, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's late in the game but I'd still be for it. The real question is will stores go for the idea? Sure, it would save them space, but if they display titles on the side it could make it difficult for shoppers.
Old 09-07-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
My entire collection has been converted to thinpacks. everything with less than 3 discs is in a thinpack. everything with 3-6 discs is in a standard width case. Cut down the space my collection takes up by about 70%. I would love it if every new dvd came in teh thinnest case available. The thinpacks I have, have a spot fro an insert. I am curious though about the people that say they cant read the spine of a thin pack. How far away from the disc are you standing, trying to read it? I stand a normal distance for perusing the collection and have no trouble reading the titles.
Old 09-07-08, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
What they said. I just bought a third one of these last weekend; my collection was getting close to outgrowing the first two. The only thing that bothers me about this change is that they didn't do it years ago.

Rob
That is one of the two problems I have with it. I mean thinpacks mixed in with regular DVD cases looks horrible, worse that TVshows that changed packaging throughout the different seasons.

My other gripe is that it is a lot harder to read the spine of the DVD cover in thinpacks. Especially form a distances if you keep your movies on high/low shelves.
Old 09-07-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like to be able to read the spine as well, don't like thin packs unless it is a box set.
Old 09-07-08, 04:52 PM

I'd be OK with it but I think that there would be a lot more damage going on through shipments. I receive boxes of DVD's at Blockbuster (where I work) and I've gotten a ton of bent cases, and they're the full size cases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.