Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Soprano's Set - November 11, 2008

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ultimate Soprano's Set - November 11, 2008

Old 06-23-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts
If it does comes out on Blu-ray I would say it would cost a minimum of $499.99.
Old 06-23-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geist
Bring on the Blu-Ray.
Agreed. Anything less is unacceptable.
Old 06-23-08, 09:17 PM
Banned

I'm gonna go on record stating I really don't think the complete Sopranos Collection will be coming to Blu-ray.
Sorry, but I dont think the Blu-ray sales are enough to justify a set of this magnitude yet.
Old 06-23-08, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scoot95
I wonder what kind of packaging it will come in.
HBO Video plans on whacking a good number of consumers in the 4th Quarter when it releases The Sopranos: The Complete Series on Nov. 11 (prebook Oct. 7). The 33-disc collection features re-mastered versions of the award-winning series’ 86 episodes, three CD soundtracks, a 56-page photo album, a 16-page episode guide and a pair of bonus discs featuring such supplemental materials as 16 lost scenes, a sit-down dinner and discussion with creator David chase and other key cast and crew members, Sopranos spoofs, additional interviews and more. The set, which comes housed in a premium black linen box that weighs in at nearly 10 pounds, carries a suggested retail price of $399.99.
Old 06-23-08, 10:04 PM

Until I feel weak after seeing the packaging, I am going to say I can stand strong and take this as my oppurtunity to pick up S6 Pt1 and Pt2 on the cheap while people are unloading to get the set.
Old 06-23-08, 10:46 PM
Banned

November 11 also happens to be my birthday I just realized. My favorite show ever coming out on my birthday. Sweet. Looks like I know what I'll be treating myself to this year.
Old 06-23-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I'm gonna go on record stating I really don't think the complete Sopranos Collection will be coming to Blu-ray.
Sorry, but I dont think the Blu-ray sales are enough to justify a set of this magnitude yet.
Agreed.

I have heard that TV on Blu-ray isn't doing that great, and neither are catalog titles. You look at the Sopranos (which, IIRC, has only the sixth season avaible on HD discs), and they would need to create Blu-ray discs for over sixty hours of television programming in order to get the first five seasons. That's a lot of effort and capital to expend for something that's still a niche market. I honestly don't see a complete Sopranos collection coming out on Blu-ray in the next five years. What they'll probably do is release each season individually, and then do a complete series after they've already released seperate seasons in order to maximize their revenue and recoup disc matering costs.

I really think that Blu-ray discs of television material is going to struggle for a while. There's too much material out there that would normally be the top shelf content that isn't fit for HD release. Like TNG, DS9, and Babylon 5 that would need to be remastered for HD and get the special effects redone; and Buffy the Vampire Slayer whose early seasons were shot on 16mm and look shitty even on standard DVD.
Old 06-24-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
^Well I for one am hoping that you are wrong but my gut is telling me that you may be right. If they didn't mention Blu-Ray when they mentioned the entire set it is possible that there is not Blu-Ray just yet.

I'm happy I stayed away from the single season sets. This is a no brainer for me right now. I don't know how I'll feel in Nov. but right now I'm thinking that I may put off buying it for a few months to see what the news on Blu-Ray is.
Old 06-24-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm the perfect customer. "THE SOPRANOS" is not only one of my favorite TV series, but one of my favorite bits of filmed entertainment ever. And I've been waiting for the full set - waiting and waiting and netflixing and netflixing as I wait.

But I'm not buying this until it's on blu-ray.

The blu-ray of the 6th season blows away the SD releases. I'd rather catch reruns on HBO-HD than buy a standard def release.
Old 06-24-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
This is great news!! Bring on all the people that are gonna upgrade, and sell their season sets for cheap!!
Old 06-24-08, 06:31 PM
Banned

First pic of the boxset:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sop...te-Series/9919
Old 06-24-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the first season could have been better picture quality wise, but is it really necessary to have a completely remastered series? Not quite too sure about that.
Old 06-24-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Looks like they're going for sort of a coffee-table-book vibe. Looks cool and all, but I don't care for displaying my dvds that way.
Old 06-25-08, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I'm the perfect customer. "THE SOPRANOS" is not only one of my favorite TV series, but one of my favorite bits of filmed entertainment ever. And I've been waiting for the full set - waiting and waiting and netflixing and netflixing as I wait.

But I'm not buying this until it's on blu-ray.

The blu-ray of the 6th season blows away the SD releases. I'd rather catch reruns on HBO-HD than buy a standard def release.

Comments like this drive me nuts, so even though it could be years (possibly never) before blu-ray is released the crispness of the picture is more important to you that the content of this unbelievable show? I mean I understand why casual fans want to wait for blu-ray, or people who have the single season sets, but to avoid a show you love for its content because its not in HD? That's counterproductive.

I do think thought that HBO should come straight out and tell us what the deal is with Blu-Ray so people aren't avoiding this great set.
Old 06-25-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Agreed.

I have heard that TV on Blu-ray isn't doing that great, and neither are catalog titles. You look at the Sopranos (which, IIRC, has only the sixth season avaible on HD discs), and they would need to create Blu-ray discs for over sixty hours of television programming in order to get the first five seasons. That's a lot of effort and capital to expend for something that's still a niche market. I honestly don't see a complete Sopranos collection coming out on Blu-ray in the next five years. What they'll probably do is release each season individually, and then do a complete series after they've already released seperate seasons in order to maximize their revenue and recoup disc matering costs.

I really think that Blu-ray discs of television material is going to struggle for a while. There's too much material out there that would normally be the top shelf content that isn't fit for HD release. Like TNG, DS9, and Babylon 5 that would need to be remastered for HD and get the special effects redone; and Buffy the Vampire Slayer whose early seasons were shot on 16mm and look shitty even on standard DVD.
I disagree. I think people are waiting for something like The Sopranos on Blu...that would be enough to get them to buy it. I held off buying them for years because I knew something bigger and better would come along. And granted I understand where CaptainRon is coming from, but why not wait for the best instead of settling?

One last thing, I can tell you this...I am from Sopranos Country and I can guarantee that people here will buy both the SD set and a Blu set when it is available.
Old 06-25-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd love to have The Sopranos on Blu, but with the ridiculous way that HBO prices their sets it will probably cost as much as a heart transplant.

Last edited by Living Dead; 06-25-08 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Damn that's nice looking.
Old 06-25-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Comments like this drive me nuts, so even though it could be years (possibly never) before blu-ray is released the crispness of the picture is more important to you that the content of this unbelievable show? I mean I understand why casual fans want to wait for blu-ray, or people who have the single season sets, but to avoid a show you love for its content because its not in HD? That's counterproductive.
Completely agree. To each his own, but waiting is f*&%in' nuts.
Old 06-25-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course not. As I plainly stated, this remastered set will be a welcome addition to my Netflix queue, and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole series again. But I'm not shelling out the big bucks until it's released in its full HD glory.

It would be imprudent of me to make such a large expenditure given the likelihood that a substantial upgrade is not long around the corner. Since Warner has already released an entire SOPRANOS season in HD, I don't find an imminent HD release of the entire series to be unlikely at all.

Till then, I can enjoy watching the remastered SD for the price of my Netflix subscription.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 06-25-08 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Since Warner has already released an entire SOPRANOS season in HD, I don't find an imminent HD release of the entire series to be unlikely at all.
Are you sure of that when you say they're imminent? Granted, I don't follow HD that closely, but from what I've seen, virtually all TV-on-HD consists of the most current released season (or two), with no announcements made for previous seasons.

Like it's been suggested, I just think Blu-Ray and HD media in general is still too much in its infancy stage for HBO to consider a Blu release to be financially viable, especially since they charge more for their sets than other companies.

Just using Amazon's pricing as an example: even with their 30% discount, you're still paying close to $200 just to own all of S6 of The Sopranos. So it's fair to say you will be paying somewhere between $600 and $700 to own this box on Blu, and that's at a discounted price. I doubt more than a handful of people are willing to throw down that much cash at this point. Hell, just look at the people scoffing at the SD set's $400 price tag.

I'm sure somewhere down the line all seasons will be available on Blu-Ray, and perhaps this box set as well, but not until there are massive price drops in both hardware and software. Just don't act surprised if you or anyone else with the same plan are still Netflixing this thing a year (or even two) from now. Unless you're cool with that, in which case, disregard everything I just said.

(And now that I mention it, does anyone have the sales numbers for The Sopranos on HD/Blu? How does it stack up against the SD release and other HD/Blu TV sets?)
Old 06-26-08, 01:00 AM
Banned

prices are insane. these were 19.99 a season last black friday at walmart.
Old 06-26-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Costco usually has these big sets at a good 40 to 45% discount.
Old 06-26-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Are you sure of that when you say they're imminent?
Well, "imminence" may mean something different for different folks. Given Warner/HBO's strong commitment to the format, plus the fact they've released an entire season of "THE SOPRANOS" on blu-ray already, plus the fact that they're now sitting on a brand new HD-transfer of the series that was utilized for the upcoming SD release, I suspect a full BD release of the series should hit the shelves within a year or two. That might not strike you as "imminent", but man does time fly.

If we're waiting two years, I suspect I may watch the entire series twice in that time frame at most. And probably only once given that we're talking about 6 seasons' worth of episodes. Via Netflix, I'll certainly be starting from episode one as soon as the SD set is released - assuming of course that the quality is at least comparable to HD rebroadcasts on HBO - and of course watch the final season in glorious HD on the already released blu-ray sets.

Frankly, I'm astonished at the fast rollout of hi-def titles. I never suspected that studios like Criterion, Kino, Masters of Cinema, Optimum, Lionsgate and other smaller ones would already have announced their commitments to BD, and in some case already released a nice selection of films. Warner remains very much on the ball with an enormous number of already released titles and many more announced. Their commitment is absolutely clear.

So, "imminence" may not mean quite the same to you as it does for me. And if this were a favorite 2-hour film that cost only about $20, a potential HD release down the road may not be nearly imminent enough even for myself. But for a multi-season set containing 86 hours worth of episodes on 33 discs for over $300? I can wait for the BD, and get by via Netflix till then!
Old 06-26-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No. I know it pays off in waiting, especially for shows that you know will be re-released as a complete series or on Blu-ray.

I want The Wire. I want Sopranos. I want Lost. But until the "complete series" is available or the season sets are a reasonable price ($25 or less), I'll wait.
Old 10-06-08, 08:12 AM

You can pick up the Sopranos complete series set for $209.97 (with free shipping) from the Warner Home Video store with the 30%-off code, ANWBTS. (Remember, you have to buy two items for the discount to work.)

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=49948

That's almost half off the retail price. (If DD's price holds, the set would be about $224 during the November sale.)

I wish we knew if a Blu-ray set was coming, though...

Last edited by ASAPadam; 10-06-08 at 08:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.