Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscount.com 20% off "sale" *price increases*

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-01-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
The one set I was planning on getting jumped from 27 to 31, but everything else has stayed the same. It seems like every sale prices go down as well as up, so I'm not too concerned.
Originally Posted by brizz
That's precisely the case. every sale a few people bitch and moan but anyone who pays any attention at all to DDD knows that their prices are constantly fluctuating with sales and according to other retailers. they raise their prices in response to others doing the same....the conspiracy theory over this is very very tired and very very silly.
When an online shop has $5.99 DVDs all year long, then raise those prices to $7.50 a few minutes before the big "sale" begins, then lowers them back to $5.99 as soon as the "sale" ends...that IS NOT due to random price fluctuations. This pattern repeats itself during every 20% off "sale", it's not a conspiracy theory, it's a hard cold fact. It is also a very deceitful business practice.

During last November's "sale", there wasn't a $5.99 DVD to be found, let's see what happens during this "sale".

As of Today (06-01-2008): DVD Price Search

Search Results: $5.00 - $6.00 at Deep Discount (1137 Matches)
Search Results: $6.00 - $7.00 at Deep Discount (2151 Matches)
Search Results: $7.00 - $8.00 at Deep Discount (2164 Matches)
Search Results: $8.00 - $9.00 at Deep Discount (1705 Matches)
Search Results: $9.00 - $10.00 at Deep Discount (4044 Matches)
Search Results: $10.00 - $15.00 at Deep Discount (11005 Matches)
Old 06-01-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Should be interesting to see those results.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe S2 Vol. 2 - $20.87
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe S2 Vol. 1 - $19.87
Old 06-01-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's absolutely no question that DD intentionally raises prices right before the sale, and I don't care who says otherwise. It used to not happen at all, other than on select DVDs that were indeed on sale, and the sale ended right before the 20% off sale.

The actual raising of the prices just for the sale started about 2 or 3 20% off sales ago.
Old 06-01-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Which is why I bought most of my DeepDiscount titles over the last month with their rather good sales. Sometimes I wonder if the 20% sales are now for those who don't know better to get the same titles during other B1G1 sales during the year.
Old 06-01-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suspect that DD is contstrained by their vendors on being able to offer some discounts, so they raise prices on the items so that the discount is either lessened or eliminated altogether (i.e., the discounted price will be the same as the pre-sale non-discounted price). In the past they had to eliminate some items from their listings during the sale because the vendor (studio) didn't agree to the sale; it probably makes more sense to raise the prices rather than (temporarily) remove the listing for the items.

I've been disappointed when items that have been in my wishlist have gone up before the 20% sale, but that's the way it goes. As others have said, DD has sales all during the year when a lot of their items have been discounted heavily. They still will have the lowest prices on thousands of DVDs during the sale.
Old 06-01-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
There's absolutely no question that DD intentionally raises prices right before the sale, and I don't care who says otherwise. It used to not happen at all, other than on select DVDs that were indeed on sale, and the sale ended right before the 20% off sale.

The actual raising of the prices just for the sale started about 2 or 3 20% off sales ago.
But...are they raising the prices or just ending currently running sales on DVDs before the new sale starts? The old sale prices all expire and they just run with 20% off...at least that's how I always saw it.

And I don't get why people get all bent out of shape when it happens. All sales have great deals and not so great deals. You can save money on certain titles at other times of the year if you wait. When did the 20% discount sale come to be the supposed ONLY sale that offered the year's best deals? It never did deliver on that, yet every time it gets close to one people bitch it isn't the beginning and end of all online sales.
Old 06-01-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
But...are they raising the prices or just ending currently running sales on DVDs before the new sale starts? The old sale prices all expire and they just run with 20% off...at least that's how I always saw it.
Well, you saw it wrong. Brent L's post was 100% correct. I've seen it myself over the last several sales regarding items on my wishlist. THESE WERE NOT ITEMS THAT HAD BEEN ON SALE!

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And I don't get why people get all bent out of shape when it happens. All sales have great deals and not so great deals. You can save money on certain titles at other times of the year if you wait.
Agreed. DD only raises prices on some of their DVDs before the sale. If the new price is no longer a deal - I just don't buy it. Not the end of the world - as inevitably another sale will come along, usually at an even better price.
Old 06-02-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sale is strictly to lure new customers, which is exactly how they got my business - and I would imagine many here - in the first place. I found it through an ad in USAToday and I always use that code. I admit the sale isn't as enticing now as it has been in the past, but I still look forward to it and just accept that prices are going up on some items. I always find good deals that make me happy and, as others have already pointed out, they do have other sales. I would be disappointed if they stopped the 20% sale altogether; it's one of those little things in life that I look forward to.

Last edited by Pizza; 06-02-08 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 - Volume One
Inventory: In-Stock $45.99 0
Pee-Wee's Playhouse Volume # 2
Inventory: In-Stock $21.09 0
Pee-Wee's Playhouse Volume # 1
Inventory: In-Stock $22.10 0
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection - Vol. 10.2
Inventory: Out of Stock $38.91 0

Here is what I'm hoping for. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-02-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of 95 Wishlist Items

From 5/27/08 to 6/2/08
  • 80 Items No Change
  • 8 Items Increased (2 were SNL seasons 1-2 which were obviously on sale before hand)
    • Venture Bros. Season 1 - $22.41 to $24.36
    • Venture Bros. Seasons 1 and 2 - $44.11 to $47.95
    • For Your Consideration - $12.71 to $13.81
    • Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 6 - $25.89 to $26.02
    • The 4400: Season 4 - $25.89 to $28.99
    • Extras: Complete Series - $36.89 to $37.89
    • SNL - Season 1 - $31.98 to $49.20 (should have jumped on this one)
    • SNL - Season 2 - $31.98 to $49.20 (should have jumped on this one)
  • 7 Items Decreased
    • Tom Goes the Mayor: Complete Series - $25.14 to $24.99
    • Doctor Who: Season 3 - $68.89 to $67.99
    • Fletch [HD DVD] - $12.30 to $11.98
    • Eastern Promises [HD DVD] - $18.45 to $11.98
    • Signs [Blu-Ray] - $26.83 to $25.87
    • Cloverfield [Blu-Ray] - $27.85 to $22.83
    • Dirty Harry UCE [Blu-Ray] - $90.85 to $89.85

From 6/2/08 to 6/6/08
  • TBD Items No Change
  • TBD Items Increased
  • TBD Items Decreased

Please Note: Many of my wishlist items are pre-orders.
Old 06-02-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Heres 3 days of my wishlist, all preorders:

$574.95 5-27

$579.30 6-1

$568.28 6-2
Old 06-02-08, 08:41 PM
Banned

SWEET! Rescue Me: Season 4 dropped 5 bucks! (Not that I'm surprised at this. The same thing happened the past two years.) Also the Jamie FOxx Film collection dropped over $5 as well.
Old 06-02-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck

$574.95 5-27

$579.30 6-1

$568.28 6-2
Exactly what I was going to ask for. Thanks!

Now let us see what the difference is when the "sale" goes into effect. However, depending on your list/titles it may not be indicative of any changes (e.g. if you have 4 large sets that cost a lot v. smaller/cheaper individual titles).
Old 06-03-08, 09:33 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
[*]SNL - Season 1 - $31.98 to $49.20 (should have jumped on this one)[/list][/list]
Have you tried looking at Target or Wal-Mart? Wal-mart has it for $23.xx & Target $19.xx.
Old 06-03-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
When an online shop has $5.99 DVDs all year long, then raise those prices to $7.50 a few minutes before the big "sale" begins, then lowers them back to $5.99 as soon as the "sale" ends...that IS NOT due to random price fluctuations. This pattern repeats itself during every 20% off "sale", it's not a conspiracy theory, it's a hard cold fact. It is also a very deceitful business practice.
wow, that's some serious passion about $1.21 (the difference in those two prices after 20% is taken off of each). i mean, does anyone in their right mind hold off on buying those $5.99 titles just so they can get them for $4.79? i realize we're in a tight economy here, but let's be reasonable.
Old 06-03-08, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Preorders aren't subject to the 20% sale. Let's have a relevant example.
Old 06-03-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
wow, that's some serious passion about $1.21 (the difference in those two prices after 20% is taken off of each). i mean, does anyone in their right mind hold off on buying those $5.99 titles just so they can get them for $4.79? i realize we're in a tight economy here, but let's be reasonable.
For some people it's not the money, it's "the thrill of the hunt".

(For poor people like me, it's both )

P.S... Kefrank, some awesome photos you got there on your site!
Old 06-03-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
For some people it's not the money, it's "the thrill of the hunt".

(For poor people like me, it's both )
yeah, i have to admit, i get caught up in the "thrill of the hunt" sometimes, so i shouldn't be too judgmental.

P.S... Kefrank, some awesome photos you got there on your site!
thanks! i really need to get out with my camera again. it's been awhile.
Old 06-03-08, 03:28 PM

If you're planning on buying 50 or 60 titles, it adds up. I assume that people who buy during this "sale" are doing so to save 20% off the regular price. 20% off is 20% off regardless.

50 titles at $5.99 each = $299.50
minus 20% = 239.60
For a savings of $59.90

What's the difference in savings if you buy $300.00 worth of $5.99 titles or $300.00 worth of expensive boxsets or Criterion Collections? Your logic escapes me.
Old 06-03-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're planning on buying 50 or 60 titles, it adds up.
Anyone planning to buy 50 DVDs at one time has enough disposable income to not have to worry about the extra $60 for their whole order. If by some stretch they really are on a fixed budget, then they only get 40 DVDs instead of 50. I still can't really see getting upset about that outside of a serious sense of entitlement.
Old 06-03-08, 04:43 PM

Anyone planning to buy 50 DVDs at one time has enough disposable income to not have to worry about the extra $60 for their whole order. If by some stretch they really are on a fixed budget, then they only get 40 DVDs instead of 50. I still can't really see getting upset about that outside of a serious sense of entitlement.
Are you planning on buying DVDs during this sale?

If so, why?

My quess is that you would rather save 20% off the regular price than pay full price, am I right?

If a savings of 20% off is irrelevant to you, why do you even bother visiting a message forum whose primary purpose is advertising bargains?

Even if I'm only buying cheapo $5.99 titles, why am I not supposed to receive the same 20% off discount as the people who are buying more expensive titles?

Once again...If I buy $300.00 worth of $5.99 titles, and some other customer buys $300.00 worth of Criterion Collections, the total savings after the 20% off deduction should be the same.

This is very simple reasoning, it shouldn't be that damn difficult for you to understand.
Old 06-03-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is very simple reasoning, it shouldn't be that damn difficult for you to understand.
It's not difficult for me to understand at all. I fully grasp your "very simple" reasoning. I just think your reasoning has an irrational foundation and I'm trying to offer you a different perspective to keep you from having to be so upset about something so trivial. You are obviously not interested in another perspective so I'll gladly move on. I sincerely hope you achieve whatever it is you are hoping to with your emotional involvement in this promotion.
Old 06-03-08, 05:18 PM

It's not difficult for me to understand at all. I fully grasp your "very simple" reasoning. I just think your reasoning has an irrational foundation and I'm trying to offer you a different perspective to keep you from having to be so upset about something so trivial. You are obviously not interested in another perspective so I'll gladly move on. I sincerely hope you achieve whatever it is you are hoping to with your emotional involvement in this promotion.
What is irrational about expecting DD to have the integrity to run an honest sale? Jacking up the regular price of DVDs just moments before a "sale" begins is utterly dishonest, and I refuse to make excuses for them.

Every damn time anyone dare speak out against this sort of deceptive business practice, the DD apologists come out of the woodwork to defend the indefensible.

Bottom line: If DD can't afford to run an honest 20% off sale, then they shouldn't run one, PERIOD...it's as simple as that.

p/s

For the record, I've placed about 150 separate orders with DD during the past seven years, spending many thousands of dollars, and will continue to do so. They have excellent sales year around. I'll continue to support the "honest" sales, and complain about those which aren't.
Old 06-03-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is irrational about expecting DD to have the integrity to run an honest sale? Jacking up the regular price of DVDs just moments before a "sale" begins is utterly dishonest, and I refuse to make excuses for them.

Every damn time anyone dare speak out against this sort of deceptive business practice, the DD apologists come out of the woodwork to defend the indefensible.

Bottom line: If DD can't afford to run an honest 20% off sale, then they shouldn't run one, PERIOD...it's as simple as that.

p/s

For the record, I've placed about 150 separate orders with DD during the past seven years, spending many thousands of dollars, and will continue to do so. They have excellent sales year around. I'll continue to support the "honest" sales, and complain about those which aren't.
I'm still waiting for an example of any pre-meditated increase in prices that are not related to: A sale ending, not needing to price match a competitor anymore, or just standard business fluctuations.

Every year this debate comes up and no one provides evidence that there is anything shady going on here. I know the sale hasn't started yet, but I've had 8 go up on my wishlist and 7 go down. Seems pretty normal to me! I probably update my spreadsheets every 2 weeks or so, and this is completely normal for them.

In fact, I can remember at least 2-3 sales where there has been a DDD rep on the boards here taking input from DVDTalk customers who noticed prices lower on another site and they would lower the price accordingly. Seems pretty "dishonest" to me
Old 06-03-08, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Numes

Every year this debate comes up and no one provides evidence that there is anything shady going on here.
Actually, every year this debate continues because every year DD continues jacking up the prices right before the "sale" begins. Plenty of irrefutable evidence is provided, but the DD apologists are so damn afraid that if people complain, DD might stop having the 20% off "sale". Make all the excuses you want, as long as DD continues this deception, I'm going to continue complaining about.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.