Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
Not sure, with the new copies out in the open like that I'm guessing to prevent shoplifting. This came up during the Game Days sale last year when they had a bunch of PC collections for cheap. A bunch of people were reporting that they had gutted copies, and someone who worked at GS said it was store policy at least at the stores he knew of. It could be only for certain sets, or not even an official policy, but it's annoying either way.
It's an annoyance to customers, it's an annoyance to employees (who have to do extra work) and I see no benefit to it. Why not just do what they do with all other games and just put out one display copy, and gut it (which is stupid in and of itself, but still better than going through the hassle of opening up every single box, taking the discs out, storing them, then having to take them back out and put them back in the case when someone wants to buy them).
Old 07-02-08, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Went in a nearby Gamestop today to buy a used game that's not on store shelves anymore. I got a fresh reminder why I never go in there.

Clerk: I need to see your I.D. before you can purchase this game. We can't sell Mature games to people under 17. (I'm 28)
ME: No problem, here you go. (pulls ID out of wallet)
Clerk: (Scrutinizes the ID for a full 20 seconds) OK, here you go. Where is your Gamestop membership card?
ME: Uh....
Clerk: Do you have a Gamestop membership card?
ME: No and I don't want one.
Clerk: Have you heard about the Gamestop membership card?
ME: Yes and I don't want one. (lying about knowledge of it)
Clerk: Did you know that you get 10% off game purchases like this one?
ME: (Calculating in my head that would save me 80 cents) Yes and I don't want it. I rarely shop here.
Clerk: (Become rattled) But you also get a subscription to Game Informer.
ME: NO THANK YOU.
Clerk: (Proceeds with transaction) What games would you like us to reserve for you today?
ME: (wondering how easy it would be to stab him and run off with my $8 used game)
Clerk: How about Guitar Hero World Tour? We only have one reserve left before our entire stock will be sold out.
ME: So this store has nearly sold out of a $190 game four months before it's getting released?
Clerk: (nervous) Yep. Maybe there's two slots left. I haven't checked recently.
ME: (holding my credit card on display) No thank you. Where do I slide this?
Clerk: So no reserves then? Hang on a second. Go ahead and slide it on the reader. Credit, Oh. I need to see your ID again.
ME: (Screaming silently in my head) Sure.

The entire transaction took forever. I'm going to start spouting off all the answers to their questions, before he /she asks them, as soon as I get to the cashier next time.
The Gamestop I used to manage is right next to the theater where I currently work. I'm friends with the current manager, so he sets aside games for me and such without reserves and all that hassle. I'll still reserve ones I really want, because I know it helps him out.

When Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out, my boss wanted to get one. I knew the store was short on supply, so I asked if they could set one aside. The assistant manager (who was my old ASM) said he would do it.

So my boss goes in to the store, and asks for the game. The clerk there, who was a newer guy, asks if my boss had reserved it. My boss says no. The clerk scowls at him and says, "Sorry, we're sold out." My boss looks behind the clerk, into the display case, and sees a copy of the game. "What about that one?" he asks. The clerk turns around, sighs, then begrudgingly gets the game from the shelf.

As he's ringing it up, he says, "You know, you should really reserve games you want, because if you had come in two minutes later, we wouldn't have had this copy." My boss says, "If that were the case, I would have dropped Daniel's name." The clerk looks at him confusedly and says, "What?" Then the ASM, who had been lurking around the whole time, turns to the clerk and says "It means he would have gotten the game anyway, so shut up and ring it up for him."
Old 07-02-08, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Gamestop I used to manage is right next to the theater where I currently work. I'm friends with the current manager, so he sets aside games for me and such without reserves and all that hassle. I'll still reserve ones I really want, because I know it helps him out.

When Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out, my boss wanted to get one. I knew the store was short on supply, so I asked if they could set one aside. The assistant manager (who was my old ASM) said he would do it.

So my boss goes in to the store, and asks for the game. The clerk there, who was a newer guy, asks if my boss had reserved it. My boss says no. The clerk scowls at him and says, "Sorry, we're sold out." My boss looks behind the clerk, into the display case, and sees a copy of the game. "What about that one?" he asks. The clerk turns around, sighs, then begrudgingly gets the game from the shelf.

As he's ringing it up, he says, "You know, you should really reserve games you want, because if you had come in two minutes later, we wouldn't have had this copy." My boss says, "If that were the case, I would have dropped Daniel's name." The clerk looks at him confusedly and says, "What?" Then the ASM, who had been lurking around the whole time, turns to the clerk and says "It means he would have gotten the game anyway, so shut up and ring it up for him."

Haha, yes!
Old 07-02-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why the obsession with preordering I know a few people that reserve everything. I can not remember any game that I could not find on release date with little effort what is the point. The only preorders I ever do is if you get free stuff, and even then I am not 100% going to preorder. As far as gutting the games there used to be a nice side effect to this you could return things a lot of times without a receipt (especially when they were EB) So I knew people that would be like I need a video card for a little while I wait for said better card, and buy one ther return a few weeks later when they got the one they wanted. Or new game over and over again
Old 07-02-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Most of the time i have good experiences with Gamestop. But one thing that irritates the hell out of me is their so called "New Games" I'll find a game that i want new, take it to the counter and it turns out that they had the game disk removed from the case! That is not new. To me if it has been removed and handled by another person that is used!! I was so pissed that they did that, I went and returned the game to get my money back.
Old 07-02-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Most of the time i have good experiences with Gamestop. But one thing that irritates the hell out of me is their so called "New Games" I'll find a game that i want new, take it to the counter and it turns out that they had the game disk removed from the case! That is not new. To me if it has been removed and handled by another person that is used!! I was so pissed that they did that, I went and returned the game to get my money back.

another result of fucking shoplifting, working in retail for nearly 10 years I have seen everything from gum to game systems stolen. I hate thieves, they ruin everything for everyone.
Old 07-02-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Why the obsession with preordering I know a few people that reserve everything. I can not remember any game that I could not find on release date with little effort what is the point. The only preorders I ever do is if you get free stuff, and even then I am not 100% going to preorder. As far as gutting the games there used to be a nice side effect to this you could return things a lot of times without a receipt (especially when they were EB) So I knew people that would be like I need a video card for a little while I wait for said better card, and buy one ther return a few weeks later when they got the one they wanted. Or new game over and over again
I'm not 100% (I don't think Gamestop even sells video cards... did they at one point?), but this sounds a lot like fraud... though I remember they used to have a policy where you could take the game home, then bring it back after a certain amount of time to exchange for full price, after which they'd reshrink wrap it. After rampant abuse, they stopped that.

I can kind of understand the new game thing, though I still think that if they opened it, they should lower the price, regardless of why they opened it... how do I know it wasn't taken home and used, or that they're not selling me a used game for a new price? The problem I have is that supposedly that's the display copy, but it seems like this happens a LOT... do they intentionally not give you a sealed game, but open a new one up after you leave the store? I can't understand why whenever I want a game, it seems to be the last one that they have in the store.
Old 07-02-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It absolutely was fraud but a lot of people did it, and it didn't bother my friends that much a lot of loose morals around my hood
Old 07-02-08, 07:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by db27
another result of fucking shoplifting, working in retail for nearly 10 years I have seen everything from gum to game systems stolen. I hate thieves, they ruin everything for everyone.
Sometimes it doesn't even make sense though, I went in to pick up Okami for the Wii on it's release date and they had gutted every single copy including preorders. And they forgot to even put a display copy out. I'd have really liked to hear them explain how that was necessary to prevent shoplifting. I picked up a sealed copy of Alone in the Dark last week, but prior to that I honestly can't remember the last time I got a sealed game I hadn't preordered from GameStop b&m. Gutting more then one copy of any game is idiotic.
Old 07-02-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I remember when i purchased video games from Toys R Us they had tickets on the game box. You would take a ticket and bring it up to the register where They had the games in the back. Didn't even take long at all to locate the game. That seems like the best way to manage all the games. Gamestop should do that.
Old 07-02-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

good point, opening one would be enough!!!
Old 07-02-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good point, opening one would be enough!!!
I think this is what they are supposed to do, some definitely go overboard though.
Old 07-02-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
The last game I pre-ordered was Dragon Warrior VII for the PS1. My wife did a pre-order for DQ8 for me and paid it off for a b-day present.

Pre-ordering should only be considered for niche games. Niche RPGs, Atlus titles and the like.
Old 07-03-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
Went in a nearby Gamestop today to buy a used game that's not on store shelves anymore. I got a fresh reminder why I never go in there.

-snip-
Damn that sucks and I have had the same pretty much exact experience. Here's how it should go next time (if for some reason there is a next time):

Clerk: I need to see your I.D. before you can purchase this game. We can't sell Mature games to people under 17. (I'm 28)
ME: No problem, here you go. (pulls ID out of wallet)
Clerk: (Scrutinizes the ID for a full 20 seconds) OK, here you go. Where is your Gamestop membership card?
ME: Uh....
Clerk: Do you have a Gamestop membership card?
ME: No and I don't want one.
Clerk: Have you heard about the Gamestop membership card?

ME: (very serious tone) Just go ahead with the transaction now.

Clerk: (Proceeds with transaction) What games would you like us to reserve for you today?

ME: Glare at clerk for full 20 seconds with disgusted look.

Clerk: (Screaming silently in his head: asshole!): OK sir.
Old 07-03-08, 12:14 AM

The pre-orders are annoying. I bought a Nyko Charger for my Wii Remotes a few months ago, and it took like 10 minutes just to ring me up. There was no one else in the store, but you went though the whole, order this, etc... speach. Annoying... And the "new" games. If its not sealed, I don't buy any new titles from Gamestop anymore.

Anyway I think the last game I pre-ordered was Wind Waker, so I could get the free bonus disc. I know some people that pre-order a lot of stuff, but I just don't see the need in it.
Old 07-03-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Either it's luck, different circumstances or I don't look like I'd be receptive to that shit, but I have never had stuff like this happen to me at Gamestop. I don't buy there that often, but probably 4-6 times a year.
Old 07-03-08, 01:12 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
The pre-orders are annoying. I bought a Nyko Charger for my Wii Remotes a few months ago, and it took like 10 minutes just to ring me up. There was no one else in the store, but you went though the whole, order this, etc... speach. Annoying... And the "new" games. If its not sealed, I don't buy any new titles from Gamestop anymore.

Anyway I think the last game I pre-ordered was Wind Waker, so I could get the free bonus disc. I know some people that pre-order a lot of stuff, but I just don't see the need in it.
That's pretty much the only reason to preorder anything.
Old 07-03-08, 05:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rainking187
Sometimes it doesn't even make sense though, I went in to pick up Okami for the Wii on it's release date and they had gutted every single copy including preorders. And they forgot to even put a display copy out. I'd have really liked to hear them explain how that was necessary to prevent shoplifting. I picked up a sealed copy of Alone in the Dark last week, but prior to that I honestly can't remember the last time I got a sealed game I hadn't preordered from GameStop b&m. Gutting more then one copy of any game is idiotic.
The annoying thing is that these practices are all dictated by the whims of the manager/district manager/regional manager. When I was a manager, I would gut one copy of each game. If it was a new release that we were featuring, two copies. All the rest stayed sealed. I could always gut more if I needed them, but could not ungut any I had opened. Some managers do the exact opposite. And even worse, we'd get all kinds of conflicting messages from up the corporate ladder. Our VP would send out an email with a directive. Our RM would tell us to ignore it. Or DM would tell us to do the opposite. It got to the point where I kept copies of every conversation I ever had with a higher up so I could refer back to it when someone tried to say I had gone against a directive. My RM would tell me to do something one day, then come in and say it's all wrong and make me change it, then do it again on the third day. I can't believe I worked there for so long.
Old 07-03-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
What I love is how every quarter they brag about the billions they are making... take some of that money and invest in some glass cases for new games like Target/Wal-Mart or get plastic cases like Best Buy/CC and stop gutting new games.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Either it's luck, different circumstances or I don't look like I'd be receptive to that shit, but I have never had stuff like this happen to me at Gamestop. I don't buy there that often, but probably 4-6 times a year.
You must look like a serial killer or something.
Old 07-03-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't like how they accept trade-ins without covers/manuals. When I go into a GameStop, most of the used games I see now have generic GameStop covers and no instructions, and sell for $5 less than a new copy. No thanks. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like to have the cover art for my games. Also, most of the used games I've bought have had plenty of scratches.

I've also tried to buy games a number of times that the clerk was unable to find. They had the case, but no game disc. Usually, these are the harder to find games. :P

I'm not surprised that they make a lot of money, though. They pay very little for used trade-ins, and then they sell them for five bucks less than a new copy.
Old 07-03-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the fact that Pixy's original complaint that started this thread was most likely invalid, but there are sooo many reasons to rally against Gamestop that this thread keeps going anyway...
Old 07-03-08, 12:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I don't like how they accept trade-ins without covers/manuals.
What I don't understand is this: what are people doing with these? I keep my games in the case, and I've never lost a manual or a cover. For example, I've still got my Zelda Toot gold cartridge in pristine condition, including manual and box.
Old 07-03-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When people at my store trade in without a cover, I charge them a refurb fee and ship it away. I hate games w/o cases!
Old 07-03-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
What I don't understand is this: what are people doing with these? I keep my games in the case, and I've never lost a manual or a cover. For example, I've still got my Zelda Toot gold cartridge in pristine condition, including manual and box.
Besides the ebay route, I suspect they just keep the cases as extras... it's not like they can just return the manual and the cover art along with the disc. On a side note, I recently traded Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and I realized as they were checking it that I should have swapped the case out... it came with two hubs because of the added EndWar demo, and I could've used a case with two hubs...

I remember needing extra cases a few years ago, when Blockbuster still insisted on shoving every used game they sold into their own, crappy, locking cases.

I do throw out Gameboy/GBA cases, though...
Old 07-03-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
I do throw out Gameboy/GBA cases, though...
GBA boxes make for much better resell prices on amazon marketplace/ebay/etc. I just kept them in a box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.