Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So I Married An Axe Murderer = Worst Special Edition Ever?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...murderer2.html

DVDactive is reporting that the new So I Married An Axe Murderer Special Edition streeting on 6/17 contains...absolutely no bonus features.

Since the original DVD contains the theatrical trailer, that makes this a worse DVD than the original. Way to go, Sony...
Old 04-29-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have to include some extras. Why would they even call it an SE if it had less than the original release?
Old 04-29-08, 11:20 AM
Banned

I was gonna post a thread about this myself when saw this. This definitely could indeed be the worst SE ever.
Sony loves to take advantage of trying to spruce up their back catalog titles when a new movie is heading to theaters. This time Myers' the Love Guru will be coming out around the time of this DVD and Sony (God bless 'em) figures they will try to con peopel into buying this "Special Edition".
Oh well, no features= no purchase for me.
Old 04-29-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"As far as we know, no extra material will be included...."

Let's not jump the gun on the bitch-fest quite yet.
Old 04-29-08, 11:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I never watch the trailer on the old disc anyway, so I'll probably sell that and upgrade.
Old 04-29-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm fine with my non-special edition...it's anamorphic, OAR and in a keepcase and that's enough for this sort of film.
Old 04-29-08, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Peep
"As far as we know, no extra material will be included...."

Let's not jump the gun on the bitch-fest quite yet.
This is posted in the thread below the artwork at dvd active by Tom (Webmaster):
"Well the UK version which was released a couple of months ago didn't include anything either. I've also got the back covers and neither list extra material on the back"
Old 04-29-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
This definitely could indeed be the worst SE ever.
Actually, even I have to admit I don't actually think it's the worst special edition ever, I just thought it was weird. I'd say I take more issue with The Jerk, a movie that purports to be an SE, with features, but the features are all studio-produced dreck that have nothing to do with the film, which, as a fan, kinda makes me angry. I'd take baffling over disrespectful any day.
Old 04-29-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst special edition ever is still Halloween: H20. It's non-anamorphic, contains only a 15 minute featurette (does not contain the commentary that's advertised), and originally had a $39.99 list price.
Old 04-29-08, 12:19 PM

I loved this movie. Did anyone see the European Blu-ray cover? Not not too picky when it comes to cover arts, but I'm definitely not a fan of the Euro cover.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-murderer.html
Old 04-29-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope worse ever SE is The Cutting Edge: Gold Edition which actually DOWNGRADED from an anamorphic transfer on the original disc to a non-anamorphic which on top af all was a sped-up PAL transfer (even the runtime is listed as 5 minutes shorter). The only new extra was a five-minute featurette, while the rest of the "new" stuff was promo stuff for The Cutting Edge 2.
Old 04-29-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by JLyon1515
I loved this movie. Did anyone see the European Blu-ray cover? Not not too picky when it comes to cover arts, but I'm definitely not a fan of the Euro cover.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-murderer.html
that euro cover is atrocious. the US cover is bad, but not that bad. i really just don't understand why these studios feel the need to come up with something completely new (and usually very bad) when they have plenty of fine images from the original promotional material to choose from.

before i malign sony for not including special features, i'll wait until we have official confirmation that it's barebones.
Old 04-29-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
that euro cover is atrocious. the US cover is bad, but not that bad. i really just don't understand why these studios feel the need to come up with something completely new (and usually very bad) when they have plenty of fine images from the original promotional material to choose from.

before i malign sony for not including special features, i'll wait until we have official confirmation that it's barebones.
HD Digest says there are no features on the BD. I can understand them not wanting to spend money on creating new features for this movie. A new transfer is probably good enough.
Old 04-29-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I can understand them not wanting to spend money on creating new features for this movie.
I can too. But, I can't understand why they would make that decision and then call this a "Special Edition." That doesn't make sense.
Old 04-29-08, 01:10 PM

I would like to nominate almost every walmart exclusive bonus ever produced.
i know im not their target audience, but including a disc of 4 of the songs from the movie (which they do quite frequently - and its almost never the better songs) for an extra $8 isnt exactly what id call worthwhile.
i know this is a little different than the original topic, but i need to vent, hah.
Old 04-29-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that i think of it, the worst SE i ever saw in a store was the original generic release of Hellraiser 3 that was labeled SE and included no extras was full screen and sold for $5 at Big Lots. That has to be the worst.
Old 04-29-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This movie isn't even worth bitching about. It's fun, and I own the current edition, but nothing about it makes me feel like I need a SE.
Old 04-29-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This movie isn't even worth bitching about. It's fun, and I own the current edition, but nothing about it makes me feel like I need a SE.
I'd have taken deleted scenes and outtakes, and maybe even a commentary.
Old 04-29-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I wouldn't give for a full version of his "dad" singing at his wedding.

BAGPIPE SOLO!

I think I'll stick with the current disc I have unless there is some series extras worth buying it again (see above)
Old 04-30-08, 08:42 AM

Worth noting that the bare-bones UK disc doesn't claim to be a special edition. So for the US, either there will be some features, or that SE tag may quietly disappear from the cover art...
Old 04-30-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they are going to call it an SE they could have at least gone with something like "Huge Pilla" edition.
Old 04-30-08, 09:27 AM

Poltergeist 25th Anniversary was a pretty bad SE... but at least it had that little documentary on "real poltergeists," though it dropped the trailer from the previous release.

This is just sad. OAR and anamorphic is something at least.
Old 04-30-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Now that i think of it, the worst SE i ever saw in a store was the original generic release of Hellraiser 3 that was labeled SE and included no extras was full screen and sold for $5 at Big Lots. That has to be the worst.
That's the one I was going to say. It's full-frame, crappy picture, and the only feature is "scene access"--woohoo!

Last edited by Ginwen; 04-30-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
This definitely could indeed be the worst SE ever.
You mean worse than the non-anamorphic Ransom SE?
Old 04-30-08, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You mean worse than the non-anamorphic Ransom SE?
Yes worse than the Ransom SE. At least that had good features.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.