Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Laserdisc Talk: Any LDs worth anything anymore?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Laserdisc Talk: Any LDs worth anything anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian T
I sold a box set called The Complete Tex Avery for four times what it cost me about a couple of years ago. Might have just been lucky, but there's an awful lot of stuff in that set that still hasn't been released on DVD.

I have that set too! Thanks for reminding me. It really should be released on DVD.
Old 02-22-08, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I should have sold my Star Wars LDs before they finally came out with the original versions on DVD.
As far as I know, the 1989 (?) "Special Widescreen Edition" LDs have a sound mix that is different from the later (1993) THX mix, which was used for the 2006 DVDs. I've been told that the older widescreen LDs' sound mix more closely resembles the original cinema 35mm Dolby Stereo mixes.
Old 02-23-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything Roan usually fetches decent prices. DTS prices have fallen considerably since the advent of the High Def formats but usually still sell for $20-$40.

Anything not on DVD sells. RKO Studio Classics stuff too. There is still a vibrant Criterion LD market. Some of the really rare titles like Olympia I&II sell for $200+.
Old 03-03-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just curious if anyone knows what the Tex Avery Complete Collection box set is worth now? It has every Tex Avery MGM cartoon in chronological order over 5 discs.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-03-08, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
The Dracula Criterion also had an editing workshop where you could re-edit a couple of scenes to your liking. I haven't watched my Blu-Ray of it yet, but I don;t believe it has that feature.
I haven't seen the new SE DVD, but the Criterion also had a Cinefex article exclusive to laserdisc.
Old 03-03-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I finally sold my player along with dozen or so titles for $50. The titles were great before they were released on DVD, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Disney. All good stuff. $50 was the best I could do but I couldn't use the stuff any more.
Old 03-03-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow. So Star Wars LDs are quite worthless now!
Old 03-03-08, 06:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, part 4 on LD is the only way to see it uncut as was shown at the theater!
Old 03-03-08, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks
You could get the non-anamorphic DVD.
Old 03-03-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks
It wasn't worth it to keep everything just for that
Old 03-04-08, 07:06 PM
Suspended

somebody had a comparison of the Star Wars LD's online.

there was never any release of Star Wars the way it was shown in theaters released on Laserdisc, maybe even VHS.

the first Stars Was laser- was closest, but all the future pressings had audio or some other type of edits involved.

the THX that most people desired had audio changes as well.
Old 03-05-08, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, little by little I've been dumping my LD collection. It just takes up too much space. 99% are worthless. With out a doubt, they gave me great joy in their time but those days are gone. With that, I'm still keeping some of them, all of the Disneys (because you know their censoring the releases of them). Metropolis, Lost Horizon, some of the box sets and the CC Bonds as well as my box set of Thunderball.
Old 03-05-08, 10:06 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lou Pearlman who had started all those boy bands like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, & O TOWN has his LDs collection (440 discs) in lots on Ebay. He has to pay back money that he stole from people. Anyways it will be interested to see how much they bring in. They are broken up into several lots.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ0QQsassZaQ2dvQ2dsales
Old 03-05-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by lcnickell
somebody had a comparison of the Star Wars LD's online.

there was never any release of Star Wars the way it was shown in theaters released on Laserdisc, maybe even VHS.

the first Stars Was laser- was closest, but all the future pressings had audio or some other type of edits involved.

the THX that most people desired had audio changes as well.
The only visual edit to the film was the addition of "Episode IV" to the prologue scroll, which was first added for the 1980 theatrical re-release.

As for the audio, the movie had at least 3 sound different mixes when it played in theaters in 1977: mono, stereo, and 70mm 6-channel. All of these had small content differences from one another (sound effects, off-camera dialogue, etc.) because the sound designers were continually refining the soundtrack as they went. The THX "Definitive Collection" laserdisc was remixed once more, to incorporate the best elements of each of the prior mixes into a new "definitive" soundtrack.

None of these were significant changes, certainly nowhere near the same league as what Lucas did to the film in 1997.
Old 03-05-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had about 450 or so LD's - I brought them to one of those eBay stores because I couldn't be bothered to sell them on eBay myself. He started to list them I think end of November, beginning of December. Maybe a little earlier.

Anyways, he grouped them together and did a good job in my opinion. He sold them all for about $1500 total I think, maybe a little more. I got about half. Maybe a little more.
Old 03-05-08, 11:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The only visual edit to the film was the addition of "Episode IV" to the prologue scroll, which was first added for the 1980 theatrical re-release.

As for the audio, the movie had at least 3 sound different mixes when it played in theaters in 1977: mono, stereo, and 70mm 6-channel. All of these had small content differences from one another (sound effects, off-camera dialogue, etc.) because the sound designers were continually refining the soundtrack as they went. The THX "Definitive Collection" laserdisc was remixed once more, to incorporate the best elements of each of the prior mixes into a new "definitive" soundtrack.

None of these were significant changes, certainly nowhere near the same league as what Lucas did to the film in 1997.
as I understand it - 'A New Hope's 70mm engagement's had monoural surround sound - it wasn't til 'Superman' that 6-channel sound was exactly that - three front speakers, two-channel discrete surround and the sixth being the subwoofer channel. This was explained in detail on one of the laserdisc's booklets.
Old 03-05-08, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JB7
Lou Pearlman who had started all those boy bands like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, & O TOWN has his LDs collection (440 discs) in lots on Ebay. He has to pay back money that he stole from people. Anyways it will be interested to see how much they bring in. They are broken up into several lots.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ0QQsassZaQ2dvQ2dsales
Maybe we should do a "rate my collection" on Pearlman's LD stash.

Originally Posted by pilot
Anyways, he grouped them together and did a good job in my opinion. He sold them all for about $1500 total I think, maybe a little more. I got about half. Maybe a little more.
If you don't mind me asking, how did he group them? How many per grouping?