Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Tower.com is HORRIBLE at Customer Service

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-17-07, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I ordered the Shining 2 Disc S.E. on Oct 19 2007, paid the highest shipping rate to canada so i'd have it by Halloween yet it didn't ship till Oct 26 and arrived almost the second week of November.

2. The slipcase arrived damaged and I was pissed so I asked for an exchange and it took a few days to get a reply about the proceedure. Then I asked what other options i had (i.e. return) and didnt hear back for 2 weeks.

3. Since then Ive been emailing them with little response from them and when they do responde they keep repeating "This is to inform you that we can offer you a full refund for the damaged item you have received." They also ask me the same questions which are already listed within the history of the email.

I get nowhere after that response because as soon as i email asking for a tracking number (which they need to do a return), they never reply.

The worst custmer service ever. No wonder why their stores went out of business... too bad they moved their remaining employees to custmer service online....

HORRIBLE!
Old 12-17-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do beleive, if you do a search, Tower.com was bought by a place with even a worse reputation than the old Tower.com and stores which has to be pretty bad.

Old 12-17-07, 09:17 PM
Banned

It was bought by caiman.com, which just plain sucks.
Old 12-18-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Challenge the charge. That's about all companies respond to these days.
Old 12-18-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
I think all of their customer service is in Montreal now. None of the people who worked for the old Tower Records work for this new company.
Old 12-19-07, 11:23 AM

Guys this is too funny. Everytime I send email, they respond with a completely unrelated topic. I have posted the emails below:

-----
Date: Today
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Tower.com.

This is to inform you that expedited shipments take 3-6 business to deliver after they are shipped.
If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or forward your inquiries to [email protected].

Thank you for choosing Tower.com,
Claire
Tower Team Member
---
Date: Today

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Tower.com.

Please contact us once you have recieved your order for return instructions.

Return policy: Within 30 days of delivery, customers may return any of the following items purchased from: books in their original condition; unopened CDs, cassette tapes, vinyl records, DVD's, VHS tapes, video games, or software or any other merchandise in new condition with original packaging and accessories for a refund less the shipping and handling.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or forward your inquiries to [email protected].

Thank you for choosing Tower.com,
Claire
Tower Team Member

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 5:05 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: Response from Caiman
Importance: High

Can you please stop repeating the same answer over and over. This is my thousand's email. WHATS THE NEXT STEP???????????????????????????????

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 3:30 PM
To: maximus49
Subject: Response from Caiman

Dear Valued Customer,

Shining / Shining

This is to inform you that we can offer you a full refund for the damaged item you have received.

Sincerely,

Claire
Customer Service

---
SEE BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never ever in my life experienced such horrible customer service. How do you guys stay in business? This is ridiculous.

Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:59 PM

I am not sure if the DVDs are damaged. It is still factory sealed. Please see original email at the bottom. The cardboard case was damaged.

Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:32 PM

Dear Valued Customer,

Please advise us if the DVD's have been damaged, thank you.

Sincerely,

Claire
Customer Service

Need help? Go to www.tower.com

---

Hi I still have not received a response to my question below dated Nov 14 2007.

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:16 AM

Hi, how would the refund work? I would be refunded for total price of item including the $7 shipping cost? Would I also be refunded the shipping costs I have to pay to have the item returned (even if I decide with an exchange)? Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:33 AM

Dear Valued Customer,

This is to inform you that we can send you a replacement or a refund.

Sincerely,

Claire
Customer Service

---
Hi, what would be the procedure on returning/exchanging DVDs cases that are damaged? I ordered The Shining DVD 2 Disc edition #2211154 and the cardboard slipcase arrived damaged on the upper right corner. The set is still factory sealed.

Thanks
Old 12-20-07, 01:34 AM

Caiman is infamous for selling things on amazon that they don't actually have. I once read an explanation as to how they were allegedly holding on to money for as long as possible to collect interest on it... but I can't remember exactly how the scam supposedly worked.
Old 12-20-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

maximus,

sorry, but just let it go. dont dig yourself in any deeper. get out while the going is good. chalk one up to experience. and so on...
Old 12-20-07, 11:33 AM

I wouldn't let it go, as they are expecting you to. I had a somewhat similar issue that went on for 2 months. Keep emailing, keep calling, tell them you will not let it go. Contact your local business or consumers affairs agency and contact the same type of agency in Florida (that is where the "new" Tower is based.) Once I told them in an email that I contacted government agencies, they changed their tune.
Old 12-20-07, 09:44 PM

Well I may let it go, its the cardboard slipcase that's damaged and since Im a collector, obviously it's annoying. The problem is, I haven't opened the dvd up yet and if i do let it go and then the dvd discs themselves end up being defective, then it's really going to drag on... but it was only $21...
Old 05-16-08, 07:28 AM

I don't know what is going on with Tower.com but I ordered a movie back on
April 21st, 2008 Cannonball Run and it is still not available or out of stock. Also I ordered a movie "The Backlot Murders" back on April 14th, 2008 and it is still not available or in stock. What is the longest time people had to wait to get their movies mailed out to them?

I can't believe it is taking them this long and the movies are even older.
Old 05-17-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
You know what's sad? From the 1970's to the mid 80's Tower Records was the best record store going. They had a HUGE selection and great prices.

To see that name reduced to this mess - it's beyond pathetic.

I've never purchased anthing from Tower.com, and it looks like I never will.
Old 05-17-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JazzyBill
I don't know what is going on with Tower.com but I ordered a movie back on
April 21st, 2008 Cannonball Run and it is still not available or out of stock. Also I ordered a movie "The Backlot Murders" back on April 14th, 2008 and it is still not available or in stock. What is the longest time people had to wait to get their movies mailed out to them?

I can't believe it is taking them this long and the movies are even older.
Get on the horn and cancel that order now. You're never going to get it. Isn't Cannonball Run one of those movies you can get for
Old 05-25-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
You know what's sad? From the 1970's to the mid 80's Tower Records was the best record store going. They had a HUGE selection and great prices.

To see that name reduced to this mess - it's beyond pathetic.

I've never purchased anthing from Tower.com, and it looks like I never will.
I used to love Tower's store-wide sales back in the pre-internet days. My sister and I used to look forward to them every year. I also went to grad school at NYU, and I can't imagine how much money I dropped at the Tower in the Village during my first few years there.

Later, of course, even their sale prices were higher than many web sites; I'd only buy from them, or from Tower.com, if someone gave me a gift card.

Now that the B&M stores are gone and their web site is run by caiman, I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.
Old 01-08-09, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Tower.com is HORRIBLE at Customer Service

Agree with everyone's warnings. Would stay away from Tower.com. I recently ordered Gray's Anatomy S4 which their site stated "ships within 12 hours". After a week without shipping I called and was told the dvd was backordered, despite the site still showing "ships in 12 hours". They thought it should be in stock in a week! They refused to upgrade my shipping to next day despite their misleading shipping time. To make matters worse, they charge your credit card at the time the order is placed, not at the time of shipping. I do not trust these guys. You have been warned.
Old 05-06-09, 02:57 AM

Is Tower Going To Try and Screw Me Over?

atleast you guys are getting that far. I can't even get passed the Verified by Visa part. It's funny though because I can place an order on a foreign site with no English and Verified by Visa works fine. I used a new street address that i've never used before but the billing address was the same and for some reason it's not liking it.

And me being the genius that I am, I figure oh well let me try it a half dozen times and see if it works. Well it doesn't and I get an email from BofA saying that they are suspending my card due to suspicious activity. Well that sucks and then I find out that even though the order got declined, I'm still out $24.98 the 4 times that I tried. BofA online says they're pending but my balance is still lower than what it should be.

I make some calls, it's 12:53am now and I have to get up at 3:15am and i get the card working again and I'll take further action by calling BofA back to have them dispute it if Tower doesn't reverse the charges.

So after all this you would think I'm spent and ready to get some sleep...no my dumbass tries it one more time just because I can't go to bed defeated, and well this time it works. lol I'll just have to make sure Tower reverses the 4 pending charges and keeps one. Do you think they're going to give me shit or what?
Old 05-07-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Is Tower Going To Try and Screw Me Over?

Originally Posted by civiclx
atleast you guys are getting that far. I can't even get passed the Verified by Visa part. It's funny though because I can place an order on a foreign site with no English and Verified by Visa works fine. I used a new street address that i've never used before but the billing address was the same and for some reason it's not liking it.

And me being the genius that I am, I figure oh well let me try it a half dozen times and see if it works. Well it doesn't and I get an email from BofA saying that they are suspending my card due to suspicious activity. Well that sucks and then I find out that even though the order got declined, I'm still out $24.98 the 4 times that I tried. BofA online says they're pending but my balance is still lower than what it should be.

I make some calls, it's 12:53am now and I have to get up at 3:15am and i get the card working again and I'll take further action by calling BofA back to have them dispute it if Tower doesn't reverse the charges.

So after all this you would think I'm spent and ready to get some sleep...no my dumbass tries it one more time just because I can't go to bed defeated, and well this time it works. lol I'll just have to make sure Tower reverses the 4 pending charges and keeps one. Do you think they're going to give me shit or what?
huh?