Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Steelbooks - what's the big deal?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Steelbooks - what's the big deal?

Old 11-18-07, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
which is also kind of a sad statement on us who buy them if you think about it.
Oh yeah, we're all just so pathetic to actually want physical media. We must all still carry around our blankies from childhood if we haven't embraced over-compressed low-resolution downloads over high-quality transfers on physical media. What a bunch of lamers we are.
Old 11-18-07, 11:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDA
Oh yeah, we're all just so pathetic to actually want physical media. We must all still carry around our blankies from childhood if we haven't embraced over-compressed low-resolution downloads over high-quality transfers on physical media. What a bunch of lamers we are.
and you are making a snide remark because? if you read and more improtantly if you understood my post(s) i was just making a comment that i and others value the packaging over the content of the dvd in certain instances. i said nothing about the physical media, i was talking about the physical storage of the physical media. but, thanks for your valuable input!

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-18-07 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think people like them just b/c their different than your everyday dvds...just my opinion
Old 11-18-07, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
and you are making a snide remark because? if you read and more improtantly if you understood my post(s) i was just making a comment that i and others value the packaging over the content of the dvd in certain instances. i said nothing about the physical media, i was talking about the physical storage of the physical media. but, thanks for your valuable input!
I don't think anyone said they value the packaging more than the content, just that it's nice to see that physical media (and yes, packaging) hasn't gone the way of the dodo in this age of rampant downloading, legal and otherwise.
Old 11-18-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought about it and Amaray does have a slight advantage over Steelbook cases. If they bust in any kind of way around the spine, you are screwed and left with a broken Steel case. At least you can replace an Amaray case easily. That is the one disadvantage of Steelbooks. They are not indestructable by any means.
Old 11-18-07, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is my steelbook collection! Just add Ratatouille and Spider-Man 3 and Live Free or Die Hard

Old 11-18-07, 08:50 PM

My only gripe with steelbooks is that the disc holders are so effin' tight.

That, and I guess the fact they ain't so easy to replace as amarays. If the case is wrecked, just stick the cover into a new case...and if the cover is destroyed, you can even print a whole new one

I got only four myself: Total Recall, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Fight Club and Highlander.

Last edited by Takeshi357; 11-18-07 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I like the looks of them, but they do get rusty in a humid climate - the hinges and any tiny scratches. Guess you could put a coat of car wax on them or something. Given a choice of a steelbook and an amray for the same price I'd select the steelbook, but I would NOT pay any extra for the steelbook.
Old 11-19-07, 04:12 AM

For those who are crazy about steelbooks - Alien quadrilogy was just released in Russia. Films are being sold separately in Steelbooks. Each 2-disc edition has the same cover only color varies.
Old 11-19-07, 04:18 AM

Uh, the Alien movies were released as part of Fox's definitive edition line in the UK as well - all of which are in steelbooks.

Apparently, they stuck even the 4-disc Titanic and Kingdom of Heaven in ones...
Old 11-19-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Here is my steelbook collection! Just add Ratatouille and Spider-Man 3 and Live Free or Die Hard

Nice,

You wouldn't by chance have an extra CARS Steelbook, would ya?
Old 11-19-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like how the steelbook covers tend to gravitate towards simpler, more iconic designs. I mean, look at that Cars cover--beautiful.
Old 11-19-07, 11:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
I like how the steelbook covers tend to gravitate towards simpler, more iconic designs. I mean, look at that Cars cover--beautiful.
and ratoullie was beautyfull as well
Old 11-19-07, 11:51 AM

Steelbooks have limited appeal to me. I only one I have is T2 which I don't know if that really counts as a steelBOOK, since it is a slip cover, not a 2-part case. My preferred packing is still a nice multi-fold digipack with an insert booklet and a sturdy outer cover, like for example, the Seabiscuit limited set, or the LOTR extended editions. I prefer a regular amaray case with a slipcover to a steelbook. But hey, I'm glad there are choices and options out there for different tastes.
Old 11-19-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrDs10e
I only one I have is T2 which I don't know if that really counts as a steelBOOK
It doesn't.
Old 11-19-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Agreed. The last steelbooks I got were the Fantastic Planet HD DVD steelbook and the King Kong steelbook.

As of last year, I am more interested in HD, so I don't pay extra for a case. But they are rather nice.

I did almost buy the Over the Hedge steelbook from Blockbuster last year.

One other question: Are "tins" and "steelbooks" the same thing? For example, Akira LE was always a tin, but it looks like a steelbook to me. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-07, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus

One other question: Are "tins" and "steelbooks" the same thing? For example, Akira LE was always a tin, but it looks like a steelbook to me. Any thoughts?
No, for it to be a Steelbook it has to be from that company.
Old 11-19-07, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

I think I only have 1 steelbook and thats Akira. I hate it. The DVD hub is so tight that I put the disc in a plain old DVD case so I wouldn't break the disc.

The movie studios release all these special cases just to milk more money out of a movie. The Transformers movie is a good example. To get all the cool packaging you had to buy 3-4 copies of the same movie. To me that is a little crazy. That being said, if its worth it to you to get a steelbook thats cool. For me I will take the "normal" version.

Later
Swarty
Old 11-19-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Swarty
I think I only have 1 steelbook and thats Akira.
You don't have any Steelbooks, then.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 11-19-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 02:13 PM

Back in the day, I thought digipak sets were really cool, but now that they are often replaced with thin cases in slipcovers, and older sets are showing signs of wear and tear, steelbooks are my new favourite packaging.
(It's probably sad beyond words to even have a favourite packaging for DVDs, but hey)
I have: Highlander, Leon, Flash Gordon, Robocop, Withnail and I, Total Recall, Great Escape, Fight Club, Platoon, I Robot, Braveheart, X-Men, X2, Silence of the Lambs and Predator.
I don't think any of these is especially hard to come by (all are 2 UK editions, apart from German edition of Leon and US version of Robocop) but they sure are pretty.
On a related note, has anyone else been checking out German amazon? Haven't been there for a while, but they used to loads of steelbook editions for just about every second big release.
Old 11-19-07, 02:16 PM

Yeah, amazon.de still has loads of them:

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w?_...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

And having had a quick look, I can confidently say that in Germany, steelbooks must be more commonplace than amray cases. They have a limited edition steelbook of Alone in the Dark. Seriously. Alone-in-the-motherfuckin-dark.
(erm, apologies to those two guys who liked it. but you know what i mean.)
is anyone here from germany and feeling a steelbook overload, over there?

Last edited by oldboy87; 11-19-07 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That Highlander case is pretty smooth.
Old 11-19-07, 02:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
since "Steelbooks" are a case or cover, perhaps this thread which is very nice should be merged with the existing...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....63#post8299963
Old 11-20-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have agree. My favorites so far are 12 Monkeys and V for Vendetta.
Old 11-20-07, 07:36 PM
Cool New Member

A whole bunch of Paramount Steelbooks (all 1 disc versions) got released 2 weeks ago in Holland.

In case anyone's interested; here's what we just got overhere:

Aeon Flux
Catch Me if You Can
Collateral
Enemy at the Gates
Forrest Gump
The Italian Job
MI : III
Munich
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Ring
Save the Last Dance
Save the Last Dance 2
Saving Private Ryan
Shaft
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2 : Cradle of Life
Top Gun
War of the Worlds (Spielberg version)
World Trade Center

We also got a lot of new steelcases from RCV (these are different looking, they all have "smooth" surfacing) and some others (steelbooks again) from Dutch Filmworks for the following movies;

American History X (1-disc)
Chocolat (1-disc)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (2-disc)
Finding Neverland (2-disc)
Final Destination 3 (2-disc)
Gangs of New York (2-disc)
Hellraiser (1-disc)
Jackie Brown (2-disc)
Kill Bill 1 (2-disc)
Kill Bill 2 (2-disc)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2-disc)
Reservoir Dogs (2-disc)
Seven (2-disc)
Sin City (2-disc, this came out in 2 versions, one is o.o.p.)
Snakes on a Plane (1-disc)
The New World (1-disc)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake, 2-disc)
True Romance (2-disc)
Underworld (2-disc)

Last edited by Elemental; 11-21-07 at 06:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.