Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

No Reservations - a quick bite

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-28-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This film features one of Catherine Zeta-Jones's more accessible characters (Kate), a chef with a driven, Type A, personality who suddenly has to take care of her niece after tragedy strikes. Life changes for Kate and her niece Zoey and through their unlikely pairing, Kate finds herself open to change, albeit begrudgingly. Unlike most of Zeta-Jones's films, she gets to carry this film on her shoulders, and she does a good job, and it's refreshing to see her downplay her looks, often looking like she wasn't wearing much make-up, in concurrence with her character's career as the head chef. Abigail Breslin is a scene-stealer in practically every one of her scenes, and Aaron Eckhardt is more than up to the task in his role as a fellow chef and potential romantic interest for Kate.

It's not the most original of premises, but the performances and cast chemistry make it an easy film to digest. I left the theater very hungry for steak.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 07-29-07 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice review Patman

I'm not a fan of romantic comedies at all & it's one of the "Which movie themes turns you off". I am however look foward to seeing this movie once it's released on DVD. I'm not a huge fan of Catherine Zeta-Jones either but like you said, she looks like she is wearing less make-up & downplaying her looks. I think Eckhart has been making some pretty good movies as of late & he always puts on a pretty decent performance. I don't always like child actors like Dakota Fanning but Abigail Breslin seems to have some actual true acting talent & it's nice that she hasn't appeared in ten billion movies in a span of a year like Fanning yet.
Anyways enough of my rambling, I just wanted to say that I'm looking foward to this movie even through i'm not a fan of romantic comedies & does Gordon Ramsay make an appearance?
Old 07-30-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The final line of the trailer makes me laugh every time I hear it:

CZJ - "I wish there was a cookbook for life"
SRG - "Don't know its the recipes you make yourself that always taste the best?"
Old 07-30-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The final line of the trailer makes me laugh every time I hear it:

CZJ - "I wish there was a cookbook for life"
SRG - "Don't know its the recipes you make yourself that always taste the best?"

Cue Paula Cole's I don't want to wait song.
Old 08-05-07, 10:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Sorta liked this. I thought it was going to be more romantic comedy, but it had a lot of
Spoiler:
drama/tragedy as well. I went into the film expecting to laugh more, and not tear up.
But it was enjoyable either way. Good date movie, solid performances from the leads.
Old 08-06-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Cue Paula Cole's I don't want to wait song.

I don't know if that's in the trailer, but I don't ever want to find out.
Old 08-06-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll netflix this.
Old 08-06-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i was surprised to hear them say "rated PG" at the end of the ad i saw....seems like that rarely happens anymore.