Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Old 09-11-07, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I think I am about to join the dead 360 club! for the past few days, my 360(born in NOV 06) has been locking up about every 10 mins and sometimes, I cant even make it past the start up screen!!! Soooo my ??? is?: should I go ahead and call the 800 # or should I wait to officially see RED! or should I use the web page?( could someone please post it) Man this is suckie,suckie......I was so looking forward to taking a day off and having Halo 3 all to myself....(Tear).....so I guess the next logical ? is: When will XROD play Halo 3!!!!!.....Oh! it just occurred to me, what if it is not a red ring issue?......I got my 360 for XMAS , so it has not been too long?....I remember getting an email that said the normal warranty was extended to 1 year(FEB07) then in May, it was extended to 3yr(but red ring only)...so am I covered or not? your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.....
Thankx,
XROD924
Old 09-12-07, 01:13 PM

call the 800 #. Better for them to fix the 360 under the warrenty now for free then risk it dying for non-rrod after the 1st year for $140.
Old 09-13-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is my saga.....

I called 18004MYXBOX On August the 13th and my box was supposedly coming in three days On August the 23rd my box arrived. I quickly packed my 360 in the box and sent it out on the 24th and my tracking number indicated that it got to them on the 28th. A Week Later on September the 4th I got an email from MS saying that they had recieved my unit......WTF?? it took them a week to find the fucker? So I called them and they said yes the unit was recieved on the 4th so I say whatever you've had it for a week but oh well so long as it's being fixed now I'm fine with that, So I asked the guy how long until he thought I should be recieving my replacement and he told me I should ship early this week. After not getting shit from them early this week I call and check status and Max (the automated asshole) said my status was "Being Repaired" up to yesterday. So today I call them back again and Max says "You're Xbox has been repaired and has been shipped" so I think "wow fucking cool" but I have no tracking info. So I call back and circumvent max by giving a fake phone number which moves me right along to a real person, I give him all of my info and he then tells me my unit shipped on the 10th WTF??? So I ask him for tracking info and he gives me my number. I just checked on UPS and it's out for delivery!! Sweet I'll have my unit back today Moral of the story is you have to stay on top of these people and their system is majorly fucked up. But I'm really happy to be getting my unit back, I'll report on whether I got a new one or a refurb or my unit back as soon as I know.
Old 09-13-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my latest misadventure with the 360:

Xbox 360 misadventure
Old 09-13-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Here is my saga.....

I called 18004MYXBOX On August the 13th and my box was supposedly coming in three days On August the 23rd my box arrived. I quickly packed my 360 in the box and sent it out on the 24th and my tracking number indicated that it got to them on the 28th. A Week Later on September the 4th I got an email from MS saying that they had recieved my unit......WTF?? it took them a week to find the fucker? So I called them and they said yes the unit was recieved on the 4th so I say whatever you've had it for a week but oh well so long as it's being fixed now I'm fine with that, So I asked the guy how long until he thought I should be recieving my replacement and he told me I should ship early this week. After not getting shit from them early this week I call and check status and Max (the automated asshole) said my status was "Being Repaired" up to yesterday. So today I call them back again and Max says "You're Xbox has been repaired and has been shipped" so I think "wow fucking cool" but I have no tracking info. So I call back and circumvent max by giving a fake phone number which moves me right along to a real person, I give him all of my info and he then tells me my unit shipped on the 10th WTF??? So I ask him for tracking info and he gives me my number. I just checked on UPS and it's out for delivery!! Sweet I'll have my unit back today Moral of the story is you have to stay on top of these people and their system is majorly fucked up. But I'm really happy to be getting my unit back, I'll report on whether I got a new one or a refurb or my unit back as soon as I know.

I sent mine last Friday and I haven't even bothered to call. I know I'll get the same, "Call back next week" bullshit I got everytime I called THE 1ST TIME I sent my 360 in.
Old 09-13-07, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
http://www.fastsilicon.com/latest-ne...html?Itemid=60

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Micro...ive_07002.html

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CII...&src=site-marq

http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/...global-recall/

Thats just terrible that it took them this long to come out with something like this. People pay their hard earned money on a gaming system and they release an item that fucked up on the market. If this is true, what a piece of shit.
Boy im glad i never bought a x360, my cousin did got the 3 red lights of dead now he got a PS3 instead.
Old 09-13-07, 09:15 PM

Well I called the 800# last night, hung up on the first 2 people because I just could not understand them!! The 3rd guy was cool, my system did not get the 3 rings. Since last Thursday, I have not been able to be on the system for no more than 6 mins....after that, the system would freeze. He walked me thru a few things, but nothing worked. Then he showed me the "secret" way to clear the memory cache! Bingo! it worked! I was ON! I tried all of the blades, made a few adjustments and so on......Then the MS Rep asked that I place in a game and see what happens? Halo2 was the choice. I got in started a game on Relic. I was running around shootin fools and jumping around like a spastic monkey....when...there...in the middle of the air just about as I was ready to unleash a barrage of bullets (just as a monkey would fling poo) ..there....the system frooze. The rep said,"repeat your address, because I am sending you a box!! anyway, I mentioned how I was not getting the red rings, he said, not to worry, I was covered under the warranty. So, I asked,"since I am sending it in and there is a know problem with all 360's, are they going to go ahead and add the new heat sink and...you know....be proactive on the red ring issue"? He said that he was not allowed to comment on that but he did mention that the first thing they do is put each system thru the "ring" test. Ok then...then I mentioned how the timing of the failure was suckie because I would not get the system back untill well after halo 3 came out. He apologized and said well we are going to extend your accout by a month....yada yada yada....anyway, so how can i tell if I ge a refurb or not and how do I know if I got the new heat sink? Thanks
Old 09-13-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by XROD
anyway, so how can i tell if I ge a refurb or not and how do I know if I got the new heat sink? Thanks
If it is the same serial number as the one you sent in... then they repaired the one you sent it and returned it to you. If you get one with a manufacturing date older than 8/2007, then you got a refurb. If you get one with a manufacturing date of 8/2007 or newer, it is a new one.
Old 09-13-07, 09:33 PM

SRACER, Thanks for the info.....(crossing fingers now........)
Old 09-13-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shaka2K6
Boy im glad i never bought a x360, my cousin did got the 3 red lights of dead now he got a PS3 instead.

Whatever Dude, good for you. I'm not happy about the 360 being a Lemon right out of the box, but I've had more gaming fun in the last year and a half with the console than I've had in all my years of gaming.

< Sipping the Kool Aid

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-13-07 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Whatevere Dude, good for you. I'm not happy about the 360 being a Lemon right out of the box, but I've had more gaming fun in the last year and a half with the console than I've had in all my years of gaming.

< Sipping the Kool Aid
+1
Old 09-13-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a clusterfuck this has turned out to be. I was about to buy a 360 when this news broke. Now there's no way I want to deal with the headache. I'll save another hundred for a PS3.
Old 09-13-07, 11:02 PM
Banned

Whatevere Dude, good for you. I'm not happy about the 360 being a Lemon right out of the box, but I've had more gaming fun in the last year and a half with the console than I've had in all my years of gaming.

< Sipping the Kool Aid

I wouldn't take Shaka too seriously. In another thread, he said the PS3 controller is the best for FPS. Also, look at his sig, and on his profile playstation.com is his homepage. I don't think he is very unbiased...

Last edited by taffer; 09-13-07 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 11:13 PM

I'll echo the sentiments of the people here who say the xbox is still the best system this gen. I've had more fun gaming on the 360 than I have any system in the past 10 years or so.
Old 09-14-07, 04:23 AM

I'll echo the sentiments of the people here who say the xbox is still the best system this gen. I've had more fun gaming on the 360 than I have any system in the past 10 years or so.
My sentiments exactly!! Even with the trouble we're having, it's better to have fun with a 360 needing repair once in a while than having a ps3 that sits dormant.
Old 09-14-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Whatever Dude, good for you. I'm not happy about the 360 being a Lemon right out of the box, but I've had more gaming fun in the last year and a half with the console than I've had in all my years of gaming.
Same here. That's what made it so frustrating when it had to go in for repairs... my 360 was an integral part of my home entertainment system. If it wasn't, the empty portion of the shelf would've been the only indication that it was missing.

< Sipping the Kool Aid
I hope to join you soon in a Kool-Aid cooler.
Old 09-14-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree (to an extent). It sucks balls that it'll break.. but it's covered for THREE YEARS. If you want one, buy one. Microsoft is going out of their to make sure you aren't getting shivved on their faulty hardware (other than waiting for the refurb to get to you).
Old 09-14-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Count me in the same group. Most fun I've had gaming since the N64. Maybe SNES.
Old 09-14-07, 09:03 AM

I sent mine last Friday and I haven't even bothered to call. I know I'll get the same, "Call back next week" bullshit I got everytime I called THE 1ST TIME I sent my 360 in.
With any luck this time around you'll get a new system. I didn't beat the UPS guy home yesterday so I have to wait till after work today to see if I got a new system or a refurb, but the ONE TIME I got a CSR that seemed to know what the fuck he was talking about and actually showed some desire to help me out, he indicated that I would in all likelihood be getting a brand new unit. I hope he wasn't full of shit.
Old 09-14-07, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Count me in the same group. Most fun I've had gaming since the N64. Maybe SNES.
yeah MS has us brainwashed this time around. I'll jump through hoops to play the 360, and I can't say for a fact the last time I felt like I was really missing something when a game system got messed up. My launch PS2 took a shit on me so I bought an Xbox, I loved it but it took a shit on me too and I had no warranty on either system so I tore the PS2 apart and messed with the laser assembly and got it working. The Xbox had one of the shitty Thompson drives in it So I sold it to someone who didn't care and bought a new one, but I was in no hurry with either system. My PS1 was fucked from about the day I got it home and eventually I had to turn the POS upside down to play games, so I just let it fade away.

The Only system that contends with the 360 for me is the N64 and that was only because of a few key games, I still play the shit out of my DC but it's no 360. When my 360 died I actually felt like "oh shit what am I going to do?". In fact everytime it locked up I let out a huge "NOOOoooooooooooo!!!"
Old 09-14-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
The Only system that contends with the 360 for me is the N64 and that was only because of a few key games, I still play the shit out of my DC but it's no 360. When my 360 died I actually felt like "oh shit what am I going to do?". In fact everytime it locked up I let out a huge "NOOOoooooooooooo!!!"
Yep. I think I have to give the edge to the N64. Nintendo + Rare = a shit-ton of gaming goodness. Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, F-Zero X, Zelda: OoT, Starfox, Waverace, Smash Bros., Banjo, Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Blast Corps. That's a dozen AAA titles from just two companies. Then you add in the decent games from the same two companies like Mario Party 1, Perfect Dark 0, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo 2, etc. Insane what those two put out. They are a perfect pair. Kameo & Viva Pinata would have definitely done a helluva lot better on a Nintendo console than they did on the 360.

That doesn't even include third parties. Awesome and underrated system.
Old 09-14-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love my 360, but I can live without it. I think the only system that I would freak out without is the DS.
Old 09-14-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

With any luck this time around you'll get a new system. I didn't beat the UPS guy home yesterday so I have to wait till after work today to see if I got a new system or a refurb, but the ONE TIME I got a CSR that seemed to know what the fuck he was talking about and actually showed some desire to help me out, he indicated that I would in all likelihood be getting a brand new unit. I hope he wasn't full of shit.

Yeah well, I'm not counting on it because the last time around:

1. They claimed I would get my original 360 back...I got a refurb.

2. After finally telling me I was getting a refurb, they claimed "all the hardware in the Refurb was new and that this would fix all the problems". Within a month of getting the refurb it RROD'd.
Old 09-14-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I love my 360, but I can live without it. I think the only system that I would freak out without is the DS.

No shock there. But never fear, I hear there's a HALO 3 hack where you can have Master Chief throw Turtle shells and Mushrooms.
Old 09-14-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But never fear, I hear there's a HALO 3 hack where you can have Master Chief throw Turtle shells and Mushrooms.
Fantastic, a game in a genre I don't care about with elements of a series I don't care about.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.