Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

[Requests for info on] CD tracker / catalog software [merged]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

[Requests for info on] CD tracker / catalog software [merged]

Old 12-04-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know a good CD tracking site...

...other than www.cd-tracker.com ? I am looking for something more along the lines of www.DVDAficionado.com where you just do a simple search and add it to your list. Rather than just typing in everything...I'm a lazy SOB.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-01, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you would rather redo 458 tracks than just keep working with CD tracker?
Old 12-07-01, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
you would rather redo 458 tracks than just keep working with CD tracker?
Wanted one with the album art and stuff...
Old 12-07-01, 10:49 AM

http://www.softwarenow.com/Informati...tion_Managers/

Let us all know if you try any of these
Old 01-19-02, 09:55 AM

Cd Trackers?

Anyone here know of any good CD trackers??

Thank you..
Old 01-19-02, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by benedict
Don't know if there are any good options there but Meatpants posted this link last month: http://www.softwarenow.com/Informati...tion_Managers/

And palebluedot mentioned www.cd-tracker.com/
Yeah Meatpants posted these programs when I asked this question a while ago, they are great programs however none of them are and online source like cd-tracker.

CD-tracker is a good online tracker but no cover art and you have to enter everything by hand. (I'm a lazy SOB)
Old 01-19-02, 12:28 PM

I found this one a couple weeks ago when I was looking for the same thing.

It's ok, not great. The main thing it has going for it is the use of CDDB for titles and track listings - other things like cover art need to be entered manually. Personally I don't care for the Explorer-like interface.

I think I heard that the folks at DVD Profiler are working on something like this (if you go to cdprofiler.com it takes you to the DVD Profiler page). Hopefully they'll come out with something soon.
Old 01-19-02, 01:58 PM

Thank you for all your help...

I think I may go with Larry's because its an online source CD tracker and it looks like you can also do things offline with it...
My only gripe is that you have to find all the album covers yourself and with as many CDs as I have, that would be almost impossible.

If anyone else knows of any great trackers, please let me know..

Thanx
Old 01-19-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.collectorz.com/music/

Well worth it IMHO.
Old 01-21-02, 12:26 PM

Just to be a pain.... Does anyone know of any good CD tracker software for a Mac?

Michelle
Old 03-22-02, 10:46 PM

Does anybody kniw of a CD tracker?

Like dvdprofiler and dvdaficianado but for CDs. Are there any?
Old 03-23-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe, CDtracker.com

It's basic, but it works.
Old 03-23-02, 03:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum Justin00787.

There are some questions that come up again and again hereabouts and you may find a quick search will shortcut the process of obtaining a useful reply.

The last time this one came up, a couple of month ago, people mentionedIf anyone reading this has anything new to add - perhaps an online service other than the already mentioned CDtracker.com - would they please bounce the last thread so we can keep the information in one place.

Benedict
Old 03-27-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Music catalog software

I've been looking for a decent system to organize and catalog my music collection. I use CD tracker right now, but I would prefer something local (IE on my machine.) I have tried Catraxx, OrangeCD, CD trustee, and a variety of others.

The problem is that I am always either stuck between having too many options and not having enough. OrangeCD has been the best, but the shareware license expired long ago and I just can't decide if I want to pay for it yet. Catraxx is great but it won't let me organize them the way I want and is just chock full of so many options I will never use that it just gets in the way.

*What I am looking for is a prog. that has:

*Ability to print or export reports.

*Front and back covers.

*Tracklist with times.

*Production, engineering, etc. credits area.

*CDDB support

*The ability to organize by band, release, or title.

The big thing that I haven't seen yet, that I would really like, is the ability to search for albums without putting in the disc (a la DVD profiler.) I don't see why programs don't have this, they could use the CDDB database for it. If there is one, please let me know! Thanks.

Can anyone help me?!
Old 04-09-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Music catalog software

Originally posted by Ergyu

The big thing that I haven't seen yet, that I would really like, is the ability to search for albums without putting in the disc (a la DVD profiler.) I don't see why programs don't have this, they could use the CDDB database for it. If there is one, please let me know! Thanks.
This is likely due to the legal restrictions GraceNote places on those services/programs that connect to CDDB. Licensees are only permitted to have titles retrieved from the table of contents information on the CD itself, and there is no search engine they provide to retrieve this from other means. This is supposed to be a way to protect Gracenote from having someone write a web-based script that can basically grab all of their CD database content and start up a separate service with the same content (since they claim they own all of the CD information content, even if a lot of it has been entered into FreeDB by people thinking they weren't putting it into a private company's ownership).

I find this frustrating, because I'd like to have a cataloguing software package that not only lets me catalog my CD's, but also my older record albums, my MP3 collection, and perhaps even DVDs as well. For record albums it would be nice to be able to just read in a barcode and have it download a tracklist. However, any service that uses CDDB are contractually locked into only allowing CDDB's service to be used for retrieving album info and only through the CD insertion method, which basically makes it almost impossible for anyone to provide a nice package that will allow cataloguing of a number of different media (perhaps cassettes or tapes as well), so that one can track where one's collection overlaps another in terms of song titles, etc.

It would be nice to be able to export this into a Palm app so that one could go into a store and know what one has on CD, their record collection, etc. so as to know what one should look to buy if they are looking to transition their record collection to CD's for example.

If anyone knows of a package that puts these pieces together, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Music catalog software

Originally posted by Ergyu
*What I am looking for is a prog. that has:

*Ability to print or export reports.

*Front and back covers.

*Tracklist with times.

*Production, engineering, etc. credits area.

*CDDB support

*The ability to organize by band, release, or title.
I use Microsoft Access to database my music collection, dvd & vhs collection, and all the episodes of every tv show I have on tape. The only thing it doesn't have it the CDDB support.
Old 04-09-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've just started using MPEG Audio Collection. Might be worth a look, but I don't believe it can access CDDB.
Old 06-19-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In response to a similar question from a different site, there was this response:
CATraxx from http://www.fnprg.com/.

It's more "databasey" than DVD Profiler but a very capable program and the program reads the ID off the each CD and fills in all of the information from the internet.
Old 09-21-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking for program similar to Dvdprofiler but for CD's

Does anyone know of a good program like DVD Profiler for Cd's? I haven't really looked around yet, but I would love some suggestions on programs to check out if there are any.
Old 09-21-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by ModoReese
Just to be a pain.... Does anyone know of any good CD tracker software for a Mac?

Michelle
I'll second that question
Old 09-23-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I stick with cd-tracker.com because I have a lot of discs by relatively obscure bands from Europe that are not included in any databases including CDDB. I don't mind entering them by hand and don't need the coverart.
Old 09-23-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does cd-tracker.com use UPC's? that is what I am looking for. I have tried several CDDB programs and did not like them due to the inaccurate info.
Old 10-29-02, 01:49 PM

Online Database Sites

I was commenting to my wife last night that it was nice being able to buid an online database of all our DVD title (DVD Aficianado) but I wished there were something similar available for CD's.

I must give my wife credit on this as she suggested coming to this group for advice.

Is anyone aware of an online site or software piece that offers similar database features from which you can build an inventory list of CD's. Thanks!
Old 10-29-02, 02:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Music Talk.
Old 10-29-02, 03:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Lets merge this duplicate!

Benedict
http://www.cdcomplete.com/join.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.