Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Linkin Park Readies Minutes to Midnight

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

By: Chad | Source: Billboard Online

After 14 months in the studio, Linkin Park has set a May 15 release date for its new Warner Bros. album, "Minutes to Midnight." First single "What I've Done" hits radio on April 2; the band recently shot a video for the track in the California desert, directed by DJ Joseph Hahn.

"This was a year-and-a-half long process of really hard work and experimentation in the studio that yielded about 150 rough songs," guitarist Brad Delson tells Billboard.com. The band recorded 17 tracks and is now whittling down which ones will make the final cut. "Not only is this album incredibly diverse, but the depth of the material is really strong,” Delson says.

Delson is particularly high on "The Little Things Give You Away," which he says is "the song of which I'm probably most proud that we've ever done." Another cut, "Bleed It Out," sports "Motown drums, almost '80s rock guitar, rapping and an early hip-hop influence in terms of how it was recorded. I think it will be really fun to play live," he says.

"Minutes to Midnight" will also include a track with two current working titles ("When My Time Comes" or "Leave Out All the Rest") that Delson describes as "a really moody, almost electronic-based song. Lyrically, I can definitively say this is our strongest record, and in particular, this song I really connect to personally. I think it's a really touching song."

The new album was co-produced by group member Mike Shinoda and Rick Rubin. "He can hear a rough idea, then point you in a direction like, 'Check out this score by Ennio Morricone,'" Delson says of Rubin. "You'll listen to it and you'll go, 'That totally jarred my imagination.' He was an incredibly helpful guy throughout the whole process."

With "Minutes to Midnight" finally complete, Linkin Park is already in rehearsals for an extensive tour slate, beginning with a May 6 appearance at New Jersey's Bamboozle Festival. Delson declined to reveal specifics, but Billboard.com has learned the band will reprise its Projekt Revolution tour later this summer, likely alongside My Chemical Romance.

"I always get into this fight with Mike in the studio, where it's like, 'Oh, just add another guitar part,'" Delson says with a laugh. "And he'll be like, 'But we're not going to be able to play that live.' I say, 'Dude, don't worry about it. It sounds good.' But now we're in rehearsal and we're stuck with these stupid decisions we've made, where parts are almost impossible to play. Some songs, Mike is literally moving back and forth between an acoustic guitar, an organ, an electric guitar, and singing. We have our work cut out for us but they've been sounding great."
Old 03-12-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im really looking forward to this. I enjoyed their 3 first albums and am glad to hear they are moving in a new direction. Their first two albums were similiar, which wasnt a bad thing, but now after years have gone and passed its time for a shift in their music without too much of a departure from what made them good. Im looking forward to this.
Old 03-12-07, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully they'll make this album longer than 40 minutes.
Old 03-12-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am anxiously awaiting the single. I hope their sound has evolved enough to keep them relevant...I love everything they've put out but that sound just isn't what it used to be and really reached a saturation point a few years back. When I chatted with Mike Shinoda at a Fort Minor show last year, he said their sound would be slightly different because he agreed that rap/rock had kind of hit a ceiling - he's a smart guy so I'm sure it'll deliver like the FM album did...I'm eagerly waiting to check this out......and if they tour with MCR, you bet your ass I'll be at that show.

MATT

Last edited by mdc3000; 03-12-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-12-07, 06:02 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Co-produced by Rick Rubin. Now that's got my attention. Rick is definitely never a bad thing for anyone he works with. Now I'm more curious than ever to hear the new material.
Old 03-13-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Finch03
I actually think Meteora was the PERFECT length. I'd much rather have a tight, 40-minute CD with a dozen good songs than a bloated 80-minute disc with filler that I'll never listen to.

...But that's one of the things that goes along with CDs, I guess.

-jason
Old 03-13-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I can't wait...interested in hearing their "new sound"
Old 03-13-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So they are making an album about an Iron Maiden song?
Old 03-14-07, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to it. I don't care what people say, these guys have a lot of talent just waiting to be tapped into.
Old 03-14-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzbox
I actually think Meteora was the PERFECT length. I'd much rather have a tight, 40-minute CD with a dozen good songs than a bloated 80-minute disc with filler that I'll never listen to.

...But that's one of the things that goes along with CDs, I guess.

-jason
Old 03-14-07, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
So they are making an album about an Iron Maiden song?
Well played.

I loved Hybrid Theory and Meteora was pretty good (even Reanimation was pretty enojoyable), can't wait to hear what they come up with. And Rick Rubin can only make things stronger. Thanks for posting this DVDJosh!
Old 03-14-07, 11:40 PM
Banned

They are catchy, and good artists. They have talent, hopefully it is good. Ruck Rubin is a big plus
Old 03-15-07, 12:32 AM

I found this, a 10 second sample of 'What I've Done.' Of all places, Verizon Ringtones had it. I think it's catchy, but, since it's only a few seconds, I dunno.

http://ringbacktones.vzw.com/browse_...tr=Linkin+Park
Old 03-19-07, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
20 songs and fills the disc.

(it's been leaked 2 months early )
Old 03-19-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
That's legit?
Old 03-19-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow
(it's been leaked 2 months early )
From what I've read, the files floating around on the net right now are fakes.
Old 03-19-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really looking forward to this one. I started out hating Linkin Park, but they really grew on me after awhile. Can't wait for the new album...
Old 03-19-07, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Obey The D
From what I've read, the files floating around on the net right now are fakes.
Quite possible. Pretty early for a leak.
Old 03-19-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would guess the stuff floating around is from their fanclub. I know at one point they offered exclusive tracks for buying a subscription to it.
Old 03-19-07, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a lot of the tracks out there are from The Grey Daze, Chester Bennington's band before Linkin park.
Old 04-03-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Bump since the new single What I've Done is out.

I like it.
Old 04-03-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, iTunes also has the music video up, sounds sweet...
Old 04-04-07, 12:05 AM

The new single is a little too standard--I'm worried that Linkin Park will continue the formula. Nonetheless I still thought the new single was catchy and I paid a dollar to get it on Itunes, but I'm curious to see how the rest of the album will sound.
Old 04-04-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually, I think this is one of the things that Linkin Park does really really well. There music is kinda like Radioheads in that it is only listenable for so long..and by making the records shorter you leave the audience wanting more...not worn out.
Old 04-04-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like their new single. However, it sounds alot like "Numb" off their last album. Thats not horrible as I liked Numb, but Im waiting to see this "new direction" theyve been talking about and this song doesnt quite deliver it. They probably went with something similiar to draw in their previous fanbase (which is huge). I was little disappointed not to hear Mike Shinoda (the rapper) on the debut single. If anything the song sounds a little less metal/nu-metal and more modern rock. Either way I like the song and love them. From the start, Ive always enjoyed their music and thought they have alot of talent and musical knowledge. A year or so later when I delved into message boards I found out how much backlash and critcism they recieve. At first I felt compelled to defend them so to speak (even getting bashed on this forum) but now Ive accepted it as a difference of oppinion. They seem to be better recieved now with a long hiatus and a propsed new direction but either way I expect another great album from the guys.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.