Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion DVD's - if they're the best, then they should release "THE BREAKFAST CLUB"

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion DVD's - if they're the best, then they should release "THE BREAKFAST CLUB"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read a million threads (not just at this wonderful website, but even in some less notable ones) that the few version of The Breakfast Club is incomplete to some degree, and that a supreme version has yet to be released.

I know Criterion has a reputation for releasing "quality products," and if they get their hands on Breakfast Club, I think we'd have the complete version we've all been hoping for.
Old 12-17-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although Criterion has worked with Universal in the past, I'd imagine this title is a somewhat more expensive to license than Brazil or Dazed and Confused since it's such a big mainstream hit. There's alot of movies out there that Critierion would presumably love to add to their collection, but simply can't due to the logistics and finances involved.
Old 12-17-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not about if they're the best, it's about if they have the rights to be the best! This is a great film that deserves better and they would love to do it, but it won't ever happen as Universal would never sell the rights over to Criterion for this 80's classic.
Old 12-17-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe that's why Criterion releases are more expensive than regular. Not only for superior quality, but because it cost them mucho dinero to get.
Old 12-17-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Maybe that's why Criterion releases are more expensive than regular. Not only for superior quality, but because it cost them mucho dinero to get.
No, not really. The majority of the Criterion library is made up of Janus Films films; which means there is very little cost associated with licensing. The money comes into restoration and producing extras. This is why they're launching Eclipse. Low cost discs of Janus Films films they won't get around to restoring or producing extras for any time soon.
Old 12-17-06, 02:21 PM
Banned

Although Criterion has worked with Universal in the past, I'd imagine this title is a somewhat more expensive to license than Brazil or Dazed and Confused since it's such a big mainstream hit. There's alot of movies out there that Critierion would presumably love to add to their collection, but simply can't due to the logistics and finances involved.
I don't think so. There's certainly a big sales discrepency between "Brazil" and "The Breakfast Club" but I would imagine that "The Breakfast Club" and "Dazed and Confused" are probably pretty much in the exact same league in terms of sales. If anything, if I had to give one of them the edge I'd give it to "Dazed", which would put "Breakfast" between it and "Brazil" in terms of Criterion viability.

Still, I don't know if John Hughes really even likes doing DVD supplements that much and I'm sure it could probably be just as good if Universal did it themselves.
Old 12-17-06, 02:23 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
If anything, if I had to give one of them the edge I'd give it to "Dazed"...
he he...would you now?
Old 12-17-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I found strange is that, out of all the Kevin Smith films, Criterion has Chasing Amy in their catalog. Smith's films belong to Miramax...why would Miramax sell Chasing Amy...and why would Criterion choose Chasing Amy over Smith's critically-acclaimed debut film, Clerks? It would seem that Clerks would be the natural choice, since it was the "critically-loved darling."

I haven't the foggiest notion how this works.
Old 12-17-06, 03:36 PM

Sorry but I could make out a list of 500 films that I wish Criterion could get ahold of and that film would not make the list. Good film, but worthy of Criterion treatment? Not even on it's best day.
Old 12-17-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
What I found strange is that, out of all the Kevin Smith films, Criterion has Chasing Amy in their catalog. Smith's films belong to Miramax...why would Miramax sell Chasing Amy...and why would Criterion choose Chasing Amy over Smith's critically-acclaimed debut film, Clerks? It would seem that Clerks would be the natural choice, since it was the "critically-loved darling."

I haven't the foggiest notion how this works.
Miramax is part of Disney, and Disney allowed several of their movies (such as this one, Armageddon, and the three Wes Anderson films) to be licensed to Criterion for the prestige factor. Clerks predates this arrangement. Chasing Amy was a new release that Disney was trying to promote at the time. Clerks wasn't.
Old 12-17-06, 09:52 PM

Breakfast Club is not even close to being worthy of Criterion. It is a forgettable film and will not be counted as a classic 100 years from now.
Old 12-17-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
Breakfast Club is not even close to being worthy of Criterion. It is a forgettable film and will not be counted as a classic 100 years from now.
Wow, this guy's opinion is cleverly disguised as a fact. He almost had me...

If the Breakfast Club isn't considered a classic, then where does that put "The Rock"?
Old 12-17-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Critereon did Armaggedon and look what a classic that was.
If they could get Hughes involved Breakfast Club would be a great release.
Old 12-18-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by freshticles
Wow, this guy's opinion is cleverly disguised as a fact. He almost had me...

If the Breakfast Club isn't considered a classic, then where does that put "The Rock"?

Actually, it'd be nice if the movie company responsible for the flick would put out a "complete" package instead of having to "outsource" it..
Old 12-18-06, 12:26 AM
Cool New Member

Criterions are over-priced and pretentious. I couldn't care less about 90% of the films they have released.
Old 12-18-06, 12:32 AM

I thought I had heard or read that John Hughes owns a lot of the material that you'd want to put on a disc as supplemental features (behind the scenes docs, etc.). Don't know if that's true or not, but it could explain why most of his movies are bare bones.
Old 12-18-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Uhny Uftz
Criterions are over-priced and pretentious. I couldn't care less about 90% of the films they have released.
Old 12-18-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 12-18-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The occasional mass-appeal release isn't bad, but Criterion needs to focus on films no one else would put effort into releasing a decent version... if any at all.

Who else would put out a magnificent set like for Seven Samurai?
Old 12-18-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nicely put...but that other 10% is what sucks away my paycheck
Old 12-18-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What 10% of their product you care for? Titles....??

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-18-06, 02:40 AM
Banned

I don't even own 10% of the Criterion Collection. They're past #350 now and with only a dozen Criterion titles I own less than 4% of the Collection.

That said I know that when the one Criterion out of twenty-five they release appeals to me it's gonna be exceptional in every respect.
Old 12-18-06, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
What 10% of their product you care for? Titles....??

Ciao,
Pro-B
It's hardly pretentious to buy films that one enjoys. People enjoy different things, and you'll find interesting intersections of movie fandom. It's possible to enjoy both The Breakfast Club and Seven Samurai.
Old 12-18-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would they choose The Breakfast Club when there are hundreds of obscure foriegn films that no one's seen to choose from? I mean that's what Criterion is for isn't it?
Old 12-18-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its funny to see how many posts came in on Monday morning, when everyone came in to work. Shame on you - where were you this weekend when I needed ya?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.