Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Jackson's "Meet The Feebles" 7/18/06?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-08-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming that from lack of a thread about this coming out soon (yep, I did a search) that this version of "Meet The Feebles" must be.... wrong.... somehow. I mean, Jef Films? Anyone know anything about this particular release?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...v=glance&n=130

Old 07-08-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jef Films=grey market DVD, AVOID!!!!
Old 07-08-06, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by salamander2
Jef Films=grey market DVD, AVOID!!!!
um...definition of "grey market"?

I'v been wanting to see this for a long time without spending 20 bucks for a shitty ass dvd.
Old 07-08-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Smithers
I'v been wanting to see this for a long time without spending 20 bucks for a shitty ass dvd.
I think that's pretty much how most people have seen it.....by spending $20 bucks on the previous dvd releases that are now out of print.
Old 07-08-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen this DVD released by about 3 different companies (Dead Alive Productions, and a couple of others) It's always been an identical transfer from what is obviously the same source. I expect that Jef films will be doing the same thing. Just dubbing the existing source material.

I have no idea about the legal status of this, but I wouldn't expect any miracles from this release. It'll be mediocre at best, and probably very questionable from a rights standpoint.

On the same topic, I have to ask... why would Anchor Bay be "sitting" on the rights to this. Seems to me that sometime within the whole LotR juggernaut or during the King Kong release would have been a logical time to put this out, no? Why not release it?
Old 07-09-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 598 Posts
Originally Posted by Smithers
Netflix has it.
Old 07-09-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts
I still contend to this day that if the New Line execs had seen this movie (or a few of PJ's early others), we would never have had the LOTR trilogy . . .
Old 07-11-06, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I still contend to this day that if the New Line execs had seen this movie (or a few of PJ's early others), we would never have had the LOTR trilogy . . .

Actually, I'd be awfully surprised if they didn't. Very few executives would commit $300 million and a year and a half production time without screening everything the director had done. And since he'd only made like four films at that point, screening his entire output wouldn't have been that difficult.
Old 07-11-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cinephan
Actually, I'd be awfully surprised if they didn't. Very few executives would commit $300 million and a year and a half production time without screening everything the director had done. And since he'd only made like four films at that point, screening his entire output wouldn't have been that difficult.
I'd be shocked if they had looked at his earlier stuff (Feebles, Bad Taste, Braindead). I think you're giving Hollywood execs far too much credit to assume that the people signing the checks and making the decisions would sit down and screen a director's entire catalog.

If that were the case, Kevin Smith would never have been signed on to write that Superman script.
Old 07-11-06, 08:58 AM

A legit, remastered release of this film is in my Top 5 most wanted DVDs.

Let's go Anchor Bay! Your "Bad Taste" set was awesome!
Old 07-11-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cinephan
Maybe, but I think it was mainly Heavenly Creatures and his Oscar nomination that let him get his foot in the door.
Old 07-11-06, 07:26 PM

Peter Jackson met with New Line in the 80s following the success of Bad Taste at some international festivals; with the possible view of him doing A Nightmare On Elm St entry. That fell through however.

So, yes they would have seen his earlier stuff.
Old 03-20-09, 03:01 PM

Re: Peter Jackson's "Meet The Feebles" 7/18/06?

Regarding Jef Films as being a bootleg company, I can actually tell you that's not the case. I've authored several DVDs for them and know they bought the rights, not always exclusive, to those films.
Regarding their prints being crap...yup. They were often from old Pay TV 1" reels or other bad archival materials. Sometimes, as you say, they even came from VHS.
Not illegal, just cheaply done.
Old 03-20-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I own this DVD with that exact same cover, interesting....
Meet The Feebles really isn't that great, One of PJ's worst IMO....
Old 03-20-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

worthless bump much?

as do I, and think it needs an official release but I'm not counting on it. Now, if only they could release the Blood edition of Braindead stateside I could get rid of my import of that.

and being of of PJ's worst is still damn better than most other director's best. His worst, IMO is Forgotten Silver but even that was pretty damn funny.
Old 03-20-09, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snitter
Regarding Jef Films as being a bootleg company, I can actually tell you that's not the case. I've authored several DVDs for them and know they bought the rights, not always exclusive, to those films.
Regarding their prints being crap...yup. They were often from old Pay TV 1" reels or other bad archival materials. Sometimes, as you say, they even came from VHS.
Not illegal, just cheaply done.
What about the White Dog release? And Accion Mutante? and Rabid dogs? Those 3 were clearly bootlegs. Jef Films didn't have any distribution rights to any of those films.
Old 03-20-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised that some of Pj's older films haven't been given amazing new editions post-LotR. I was sure we'd see a full-on SE of Braindead seeing as how that was his most popular title. I've never been a fan of Feebles, really, but I'd still like to have a shiny edition of it.
Old 03-20-09, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
What about the White Dog release? And Accion Mutante? and Rabid dogs? Those 3 were clearly bootlegs. Jef Films didn't have any distribution rights to any of those films.

Exactly, Jef Films is definitely a bootleg company and steal most of their transfers from old VHS releases or foreign DVD's. Beware of the other aliases they go under such as Substance, Televista, and New Star... maybe some others. It's all the same big bootleg operation.