Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Putting together an HT setup in Korea

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question probably spans several forums, but I'd like to try and contain it here.

I'm heading to Korea in a few months for work (1-1.5 years) and I'd like to try and set up a decent (if cheap) HT once I get there.

Not having been there before, I was wondering if there were any tips as far as shopping for electronics -- better prices than the US for certain models? Specifically Korean brands (Samsung) -- HDTV's available over there? Similarly, will it be as easy to find a HTIB or should I plan on ordering one online? Are there any recommended retailers or locations for good prices and quality?

Most importantly, if I buy a DVD player over there is it likely to be region free already or just R3? Should I plan on bringing my Philips 727?

Any advice or tips are appreciated.
thanks.
Old 07-09-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, maybe I need to be a little more specific in my request. Are there any prior-service military members out there (or currently active) who have advice on purchasing equipment in Korea?

I realize that due to housing, HTIB is probably the way to go, but are there any recommended stores in different locations or brands that may or may not offer more bang for the buck locally?

And again, does anyone know whether or not Korean dvd players come region-free out of the box or do I need to check my models?

thanks.
Old 12-09-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got to Seoul, checked out the PX today and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on these two items:

The HCT AV420 42" HDTV (or model # HLD-420A)-- can't find any reviews for this model online (can't even find a website for the company although I'm not sure why). I had a standard analog flat screen tv by them when I was in Iraq (I just got to Korea) that worked really well. This one is $1599 in AAFES (tax-free) -- only one component though it also has HDMI (something I'm unfamiliar with). The picture does look really good. Ordinarily I'd consider something like this a little outside my price range, but as I am going to be here for at least a full year (more probably 15 months or longer), it doesn't seem like a bad investment considering that the gov't will ship it back to the US for me.

The Hitachi HTD-K210 home theater in a box -- $180 (possibly an additional $15 off but probably a dead deal by the time I'm ready to buy). Very nice sound and the included dvd player is also region-hackable (although I already shipped my Phillips). I can't find any info on this one online either. Again, it sounds good but I've never actually picked up any HT equipment before. All these dvds and I've been watching them on regular tvs with no audio equipment all this time ;p

Any information or opinions would be great. As I mentioned these are just the ones I looked at today at the PX -- haven't tried checking the local markets yet -- not sure if I could really find a better bargain for the quality but if anyone has opinions on reputable places in Seoul, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 12-12-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to bump my own thread again, but has anyone found reviews or used these items before? I suppose it's possible that HCT hasn't actually done much marketing in the US CONUS -- I bought my flat screen tv from them at the PX in Iraq -- it worked pretty well IMO for the price.

I'm guessing that I probably won't be able to get a better price than around $1599 for a 42" here in Korea at the PX because of shipping/handling costs and issues -- although I haven't yet gone off post to compare prices.

thanks,
Old 12-12-06, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the bump, I would have never seen this. I'm going to Tokyo in a year for college and was wondering if I should purchase my HT setup there or buy everything here then have it shipped to me. From the looks of it you're having a hard time finding reviews and information about your equipment, while tokyo and seoul are two different places I'll take caution and get everything here.

For the HCT 420A, All I could find was this.
http://www.hctkorea.co.kr/Product/pr...od=114&cate1=2

And the Hitachi HTD-K210
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...097646p,00.htm

I've never used any of those, this thread was looking awful and sad with nobody else posting. :/
Old 12-12-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the link. I wasn't even able to find the site for the company until I went back to the store yesterday and got the link off the manual. I think a lot of it has to do with certain companies marketing certain products more in some countries than others -- regardless of overall item quality -- and there aren't as many review sites (esp. in English) in those countries.

I'm probably leaning towards the ones I've already mentioned -- I don't think the prices will get much better (even off-post) but I'll hold on another few weeks till my baggage (and DVDs) get here and I've had a chance to check around the electronics market too. At least here on post I know I have local support and warranty help (in English).
Old 12-16-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I picked up the Hitachi 42HDS69 and the Hitachi HTD-K210 htib. The tv looks great (I've gone ahead and emailed them asking about the patch), but I'm not sure it's using the progressive scan component of the dvd player even though I have it connected with component cables. The TV manual says that certain options on the video menu won't be available if you're watching DVDs in progressive scan. The HTD-K210 player says it's capable of progressive scan but I don't know if there's something I need to do to activate it or not. edit: I will pick up an optic audio cable once I get the speakers set up but for the moment, I'm just using the standard red/white.

Similarly, the htib is 5.1 -- unfortunately I'm having trouble thinking of a way that I can properly set up the speakers in my smallish room -- right now I'm just using the TV speakers. I'll probably try and hit a store off-post to see about stands for some of them -- I don't know if anyone here could give me some setup tips if I posted pictures of my room - front and back.

I had a couple other newb questions, but they're escaping me at the moment: Are discs like the Avia reference/template dvds (I know they were big a few years ago) still "necessary" for setting up a new hdtv or are they a little less of an issue now? Any links to good current ones?

I guess that's about it for the moment.
thanks.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 12-16-06 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another quick question -- any feedback on the earlier posts is also appreciated: I just read one setup article on 5.1 systems and it recommended using an analog watch to set up the speakers at different hands of the watch (30 degrees off 1200 and 0600). It also said that speakers near the TV need to be magnetically shielded. Is this still a problem with a LCD/Plasma HDTV like the one I bought? In a room as small as mine, is it alright to place the center channel immediately in front of the tv on the same dresser (it's flatter than the bottom of the screen) with the front side speakers at the edges of the dresser in front of the original (but presumably unused with this hookup) tv speakers?

My main problem with this is figuring out a way and means to set up my rear speakers -- I don't have any stands and technically the bed gets in the way of one of them going with the direction/distance setup.

Originally I was thinking about getting a square or round piece of plywood at the self-help place on post, quartering it and then placing each quarter in a corner of my room -- as my tv is centered about 18-24" in front of one wall, and then sticking the center channel in front of it again with the subwoofer on the floor nearby (but they would be about 7' up because the door opens into one corner and there's no space below the frame). Would that provide decent sound at all or would it be inaccurate? For reference, I suppose my total room size is between 10' x '15 and 15'x20' but that's a fairly rough estimate. Also I have large windows on the left wall and rear wall (when facing tv).

thanks for the tips.
Old 01-04-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate bumping my own threads like this but I would honestly appreciate any feedback someone can give me on this topic. I am a complete newbie when it comes to setting up any kind of sound system and would just like some opinions on whether or not the idea I mentioned above is feasible or decent for surround sound or if I should just hold off on setting up the speakers till I get back to the US (I'm here for the next year or so).

thanks.
Old 01-04-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say any method you use to set up the 5.1 will be better than nothing.

Your speakers seem quite high at 7', maybe you could aim them down a bit?
If the fronts are at 7', it does not mean the rears need to be that high as well.
Old 01-04-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jon-w9
I would say any method you use to set up the 5.1 will be better than nothing.

Your speakers seem quite high at 7', maybe you could aim them down a bit?
If the fronts are at 7', it does not mean the rears need to be that high as well.
Well as I mentioned a post or so back, I have a bit of space to place the front speakers (center and side speakers) directly in front of the TV (the TV is at standard sitting eye level) -- center in place and front side speakers in front of the TV speakers (assuming that the TV speakers are no longer used when these are hooked up -- reverb or something otherwise?). The article I read did mention some issue of magnetic shielding for speakers in similar positions, but it didn't indicate if that's an issue now with new LCD HDTVs or just older models.

If I can place the speakers in those approximate positions in comparison to the TV location, then I won't need to place the rears as high -- I can easily keep them at the same level. However, I don't have any way at this time to mount them on an angle. I saw some little mounts for sale at the store finally - but they appear to require the speakers to have those holes in the back where you can slide screws to hold them in place against the mount and my speakers are completely smooth.

thanks for the info though.
Old 01-13-07, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Well, I picked up the Hitachi 42HDS69 and the Hitachi HTD-K210 htib. The tv looks great (I've gone ahead and emailed them asking about the patch), but I'm not sure it's using the progressive scan component of the dvd player even though I have it connected with component cables. The TV manual says that certain options on the video menu won't be available if you're watching DVDs in progressive scan. The HTD-K210 player says it's capable of progressive scan but I don't know if there's something I need to do to activate it or not. edit: I will pick up an optic audio cable once I get the speakers set up but for the moment, I'm just using the standard red/white.

Similarly, the htib is 5.1 -- unfortunately I'm having trouble thinking of a way that I can properly set up the speakers in my smallish room -- right now I'm just using the TV speakers. I'll probably try and hit a store off-post to see about stands for some of them -- I don't know if anyone here could give me some setup tips if I posted pictures of my room - front and back.

I had a couple other newb questions, but they're escaping me at the moment: Are discs like the Avia reference/template dvds (I know they were big a few years ago) still "necessary" for setting up a new hdtv or are they a little less of an issue now? Any links to good current ones?

I guess that's about it for the moment.
thanks.
I just picked up the same theater system Here at the Okinawa PX, it's funny because I actually wanted the same TV as well, but they were out of stock (except for the floor model) and I think they are discontinued =( , I ended up doing some research about ( the made for military brand ) Sabre and they make their plasmas with components from great companies and sell at a great price, I got the 42" for 1299.00 and I am very happy with it so far.

Anyways onto the home theater system, I am pleased with it thus far althoug I would appreciate any tips reguarding getting the rear speakers to be used more, it seems they are basically used for background noise the way I have it set up. also if you know how to use your TV speakers as the center speaker? I can't figure that out either, anyways good post, like you I couldn't find any info on the web besides here.
Old 01-13-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the opinion.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated. Or if there's another forum that might be able to answer these setup questions. I've tried HTF but haven't gotten too many responses there either.

thanks.