Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Iron Maiden working on a new studio album?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-09-06, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw at www.ironmaiden.com that they are having a contest where a fan can win a chance to hear some new tracks from Iron Maiden. There was no additional information about these "new tracks" on the website however. Does anyone have any details on a new album in the works?
Old 06-09-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Maiden will be putting out albums until Steve Harris is an ex-Steve Harris.
Old 06-09-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Yes, Iron Maiden has been in the studio working on a new cd for some time now. I believe the cd is due for release in the fall.
Old 06-09-06, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe October is the target date for the release. What's the deal w/the Death on the Road DVD? Was it ever corrected for the US release? And does anyone have any info on the History of Maiden Part 2 DVD?

I can't wait for the new album. Their last two with Bruce have been great.

Bruce's solo career DVD is coming out later this month for those who didn't know. It is packed with videos and live shows.
Old 06-09-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Maiden!!
Old 06-11-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Good to hear. Maiden is one of those rare bands that actually gets better with age.
I wouldn't say "better", but they do have the ability to keep up the good work when so many other bands just diminish and die off.
Old 06-11-06, 01:51 PM

>Maiden is one of those rare bands that actually gets better with age

They can still do good work, though I thought Dance of Death was a big step down from Brave New World (a great album IMO).
Old 06-11-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
>Maiden is one of those rare bands that actually gets better with age

They can still do good work, though I thought Dance of Death was a big step down from Brave New World (a great album IMO).

yeah what he said....

but they still put on an incredible show.
Old 06-11-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Brave New World and Dance Of Death were both very good, but BNW was better, IMO.

Both tours were fantastic - the band hasn't lost a step at all! Bruce Dickinson is still the most energetic frontman out there, despite pushing 50 years old (he's 48 now). Iron Maiden is still the yardstick to which all other Metal bands are compared.

UP THE IRONS!!!
Old 06-21-06, 04:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?section=1&subsection=1

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

1. Different Worlds (Smith/Harris) 4.17
2. These Colours Don't Run (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6.52
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 8.44
4. The Pilgrim (Gers/Harris) 5.07
5. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.48
6. Out Of the Shadows (Dickinson/Harris) 5.36
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (Murray/Harris) 7.21
8. For The Greater Good of God (Harris) 9.24
9. Lord Of Light (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.23
10. The Legacy (Gers/Harris) 9.20

Iron Maiden plan to release their new studio album entitled A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, in early September.

The band started writing songs at the end of 2005 after a short break from their hugely successful festival appearances in Europe and the USA. After Christmas the songs were completed and rehearsed when the band then got together with producer Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley at Sarm West Studios in London to start work on recording the backing tracks.

Kevin Shirley has now co-produced three of the bands studio albums alongside Steve Harris, as well as two of their recent Live DVD's and albums. From this the working relationship between Kevin and the band seems to get stronger and stronger. Says Kevin, 'The Beast is back! I feel from the outset we all clicked on this one. We spent two months in the studio, from Go to Whoa - from Nicko's 'tubs up' to final mixes and sequenced master! That's a tiny gestation period for an album. Producing Iron Maiden is like sitting in the head and driving one of those mammoth automatons from Star Wars or Saturday morning cartoons! And there's nothing that can stop it!'

'I feel incredibly privileged to have been around to see this album born and breathe life. There have been only a couple of occasions in my career when the ENTIRE process of recording felt so complete - and it is on display here.'

As on previous projects all of the tracks were performed live and together in one room. No click tracks or computer tightening or manipulation has happened at any stage of the recording.

Says Steve Harris,' I think in many ways this has been the easiest album in terms of recording that we've ever done. The whole process of writing through to recording was very natural. I think in terms of the material we've also pushed our boundaries yet again and I think it will please our fans but also really surprise a lot of people as well. The sound we've managed to get is very powerful for a Maiden record and all of us have pushed ourselves in our own ways to create something that we're all immensely proud of and I think working as quickly as we did with Kevin really was part of that process. We simply can't wait to take this out on the road. We've played some great shows and had a lot fun recently introducing some of our older songs to a new generation of fans. However for us personally we're incredibly excited about getting out and performing these new tracks.'

Says Bruce Dickinson,'This album has to be our best since working with Kevin. There is such a wide scope of musicianship on this album and in parts this album is truly epic. I thought with the likes of Paschendale from the last studio album that we could only hope to surpass that but having now heard the album back as well as sitting with a few select people and hearing their reactions as well I truly believe we have managed it. Every one of us has put everything into this record and it's really paid off. However we've had such fun making it that it's almost difficult to believe what we've managed to achieve in the time it took.'
Old 06-21-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Lee Harvey Oswald]I believe October is the target date for the release. What's the deal w/the Death on the Road DVD? Was it ever corrected for the US release?QUOTE]

Add me to that list. I remember it was pulled from shelves the day of its release due to some sort of glitch or defect. I certainly want this to come out just to see the extras and the documentary footage that they put together.
Old 06-21-06, 09:56 PM

Nice post, Benedict. That's great news. Hopefully it will be a great album. It will be interesting to see what they do for cover art (I hope the illustration at the website isn't it - it's somewhat dull). Although anything would be better than the bad CG imagery from the "Dance of Death" cover.
Old 07-04-06, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by madelinebh
Nice post, Benedict. That's great news. Hopefully it will be a great album. It will be interesting to see what they do for cover art (I hope the illustration at the website isn't it - it's somewhat dull). Although anything would be better than the bad CG imagery from the "Dance of Death" cover.
Maidenfans.com has the cover art up. It might be the best cover yet. Reminds me of the 2 Minutes to Midnight single cover.
Old 07-05-06, 01:43 PM

wow I do really like that cover... hopefully they will sell shirts of that too
i think this may be one of the best metal images of all time, even better than the rare slayer tour shirt with the helmeted skull made out of bullets and shells.
Old 07-05-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

This will fucking rule...
Old 07-05-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Definitely a better cover than Dance of Death.

Hopefully the album is that much better, too! (If it is, the album will be their best since Seventh Son...)
Old 07-06-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Yeah - as far as their newer stuff, I really liked Brave New World, but hated Dance of Death - I hope this one's a lot better.
Old 07-06-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
This will fucking rule...
Oh hell yes. Brilliant album cover.
Old 07-06-06, 09:33 PM

Here's some additional details on the album and the first single from www.ironmaiden.com:

"Following the announcement of the forthcoming early September release of their new studio album A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, Iron Maiden reveal their front cover artwork!

Also announced is the news that THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG will be released as a very special single on 14th August.

Says Steve Harris, “This is a very intense album in many ways and we really wanted to go with a lead track that demonstrated that in the best way, rather than going for a shorter track on the album just to please the chart rules. Benjamin Breeg is a great example of the feel of the album in it’s really heavy riff and lyrically it’s a very dark, atmospheric and powerful song which really epitomizes what the album is all about for us. So it made a natural choice for us.”

In true Maiden style, the single will be released in two special Limited Edition formats, which by content will not be eligible for the UK singles chart. Manager Rod Smallwood explained, “There are various chart rules compliant to number of tracks, the maximum running time, price structure and all the rest of it. As for the new Maiden single - its simple - we’re putting out a two track CD - THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG and HALLOWED BE THY NAME (Legends Session) and if it’s too long to qualify for the charts, then so be it. We have no problem with it being non-chart eligible.

EMI will also release a special 7” coloured vinyl in picture sleeve with collectable sticker of the ‘Crossed Guns’ Logo. B sides to both formats are from last years amazing ‘Radio 1 legends session recorded especially for the Zane Lowe show.

Limited Edition 2 track CD
The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Hallowed be thy Name (Radio 1 ‘Legends’ Session)

Limited Edition 7” coloured vinyl in picture bag
(To include ‘Crossed Guns Logo’ sticker)
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
c/w Run To The Hills (Radio 1 ‘Legends’ Session)
The Trooper (Radio 1 ‘Legends’ Session)

THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG is taken from the forthcoming album, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH full track listing as below.

1. Different World - Smith/Harris - 4.17
2. These Colours Don't Run - Smith/Harris/Dickinson - 6.52
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - Smith/Harris/Dickinson - 8.44
4. The Pilgrim - Gers/Harris - 5.07
5. The Longest Day - Smith/Harris/Dickinson - 7.48
6. Out Of the Shadows - Dickinson/Harris 5.36
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - Murray/Harris - 7.21
8. For The Greater Good of God - Harris - 9.24
9. Lord Of Light - Smith/Harris/Dickinson - 7.23
10. The Legacy - Gers/Harris - 9.20

Iron Maiden undertake a massive Winter European Tour that opens in Denmark on 9th November, culminating in eight UK arena dates at the end of December (including two nights at Earls Court Arena). They will play to nearly 100,000 people in the UK alone! The majority of these shows are already sold out. Please check for details on www.ironmaiden.com for the latest information on ticket availability and for details of tickets just released from Production holds."
Old 07-06-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Hey, whatever happened to Iron Maiden's Early Years: Live after Death?
Old 07-07-06, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
While Brave New World may have been typical IM, In my opinion Dance of Death was still a great album. I heard 'growth' and 'taking risks' in many of the songs and this is/was a good thing.
Old 07-07-06, 10:31 AM

most importantly, I want them to tour the US again. Didnt really get into them until just a few years ago and ive only seen them once (with Motorhead and Dio what a great show!).
Old 07-17-06, 06:31 PM

The new Maiden video is up at ironmaiden.com. Video is so-so, song is pretty good. It will probably grow on me once I get the cd.
Old 07-17-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Listening to the song now. Waiting for the video to finish downloading.
Old 07-17-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
That song doesn't get me too excited. I hope the rest of the album is much better.