Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a 2nd Amicus collection set?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-31-06, 01:47 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The horror company Amicus, the sister company to Hammer, which i also prefer over Hammer, will they release a 2nd collection? Many of their horror films are still unreleased on dvd, my favorite one The Skull (1965) for example.
Old 03-31-06, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Amicus Collection was released by Anchor Bay UK.

As I recall, they've said on their forum that they don't plan a second Amicus collection - most likely they don't have the rights to any more of the films.

The Hammer releases are an illustration that productions from one studio can have rights held all over the place (for example, many of them were licensed to Warner from Studio Canal in the UK), and these rights can vary from country to country as well.

Like you I'd like to see more Amicus releases; The Skull, From Beyond the Grave, Vault of Horror being my most wanted unreleased titles.
Old 03-31-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dark Sky is (re)releasing a couple Amicus titles for R1 in July: Asylum and And Now the Screaming Starts. I suspect they may have acquired rights to and/or will be releasing more thereafter, possibly some more of the anthologies - but that's no guarantee, just a guess on my part.
Old 03-31-06, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nebiroth

Like you I'd like to see more Amicus releases; The Skull, From Beyond the Grave, Vault of Horror being my most wanted unreleased titles.
One of these is coming very soon.
Old 10-30-06, 09:14 PM

Yes...and its.....

....FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE. This is my favorite title in the Amicus library but I have a boatload of misgivings regarding the release. It is from Retromedia....not known for the quality of thier tranfers. Just a peak at the "I, MONSTER" disc they put out makes me cringe. I hope they get it right.

The Retromedia release makes me wonder if this title isn't now in the public domain after all.....

Last edited by Carcosa; 11-08-06 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
....FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE. This is my favorite title in the Amicus library but I have a boatload of misgivings regarding the release. It is from Retromedia....not known for the quality of thier tranfers. Just a peak at the "I, MONSTER" disc they put out makes me cringe. I hope they get it right.

The Retromedia release makes me wonder if this title isn't now in the public domain after all.....
Anyone known what happened to this release? Looks like it got cancelled. Was still available as a pre-order on Sunday. Maybe Warner Bros. still hold the rights and put the kibosh on it.
Old 11-28-06, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Anyone known what happened to this release? Looks like it got cancelled. Was still available as a pre-order on Sunday. Maybe Warner Bros. still hold the rights and put the kibosh on it.
There was quite a controversy over a review of a "pre-release" DVD that really panned the picture quality (big surprise here). The backlash got so ugly that the guy at Retromedia made some noises that he may just scrap it altogether. Thats too bad if he did. It would have been better than nothing...which is what we may now have. Sometimes people don't know when to shut up.

Last edited by Carcosa; 11-28-06 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 07:08 AM

Although, there has been a sneaking suspiscion that Retromedia found out they didn't have the rights to the film after all.

I find it unlikely that they'd cancel a release just because some people complained about the quality (it's never stopped them before).

The poor quality of I, Monster demonstrates this, as it was according to some reviews taken from the videotape master...

Incidentally, this film is getting anew release here in the UK soon. The previous one was pan-and-scanned but the image quality was better.

There are certainly good prints of From Beyond The Grave - it was shown on the BBC some years ago and looked pretty good.
Old 11-29-06, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
I'm willing to bet WB has the rights. They did the vhs and I believe the laserdisc. Practically all of the Hammer and Amicus stuff that was picked up and distributed by a major studio is still controlled by that studio in the U.S.