Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucky Number Slevin Review thread (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lucky Number Slevin Review thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky Number Slevin Review thread

I saw this tonight in Boston, pretty cool actually, the director, Paul McGuigan took questions from the crowd afterwards. Overall, I would rate this 2 1/2 stars out of 4, the biggest positive is an outstanding cast, including Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman and Bruce Willis. Even actors who wouldn't be classified with those guys, like Josh Hartnett and Lucy Liu are better than usual. I also liked the cinematography, although there were a few times when it bordered on distracting.

On the negative side, the script was weak in places, too clever at some points, too obvious in others, the first part of the movie in particular was slow.

It will be compared to Pulp Fiction, or the Usual Suspects, it is derivative of the genre in many places, no one will ever confuse it with the classics, but still an entertaining film, imo.
Old 03-29-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucky Number Slevin...

The previews look pretty sweet, but I'm super fuckin' picky about droppin' $8 to deal with teenagers playing with their cell-phones in a dark theater (a rant for another time). Just wondering what you guys thought.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lucky_number_slevin/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425210/

I don't recognize anything from the creative team.
Old 03-30-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it alright to hate a movie for its title? 'Cause I really wanna...
Old 03-30-06, 01:45 AM

I saw a preview a few weeks ago...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=458777
Old 03-30-06, 08:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm looking forward to this one. Paul McGuigan directed both Gangster No. 1 (underrated Euro gangster flick) and the current FX series, Thief (promising thus far).

Currently at 73% RT, this shows promise as well.
Old 03-30-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This looks like a definite pick-up once it hits DVDs.
Old 04-03-06, 08:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Andalusia
For this one anything possible. Damn, once again Bruce Willis starring in somo piece of crap.. to bad (oh and they r plannin' Die Hard 4 ... Bye-bye Bruce u was great...a century ago)
Old 04-04-06, 12:25 AM
Banned

've heard the movie has HUGE plotholes but is still fun. hartnett was pretty solid in wicker park with Paul McGuigan in charge. i love the cast and am really looking forward to seeing it wednesday.
Old 04-04-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The previews make me want to destroy cute things, I'm sorry.

I hope the film is good.
Old 04-07-06, 02:42 AM
Banned

saw it tonight and enjoyed it. i love the genre so i'm a bit semi biased but overall it was still a good flick, but yeah, like the op said, not a classic. doesn't mean it's bad, cuz it's good, and i'd probably say above average. and yes it was a clever film, but i wouldn't say to clever, there is alot of info but if you pick it up you'll understand it. i agree, a few elemenrts were pretty obvious.
Old 04-07-06, 08:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Ebert's 2-star review here
Old 04-10-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i am suprised theres not more talk on this one, just checked it out today and I really enjoyed it. some great dialouge and i thought the movie was alot of fun.
Old 04-10-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It had some good lines, but man did this movie DRAG...such a slow pace that when things finally start to happen, the reaction it elicited was "how gives a fuck?". I love the Morgan Freeman/Kingsley scene but other than that, it was just alright.

MATT
Old 04-10-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
It had some good lines, but man did this movie DRAG...such a slow pace that when things finally start to happen
That was my main gripe with the movie, when the pieces of the puzzle start to come together, the movie should be building to a cresendo, not hitting the brakes.

But it was a decent flick, I really liked the dialogue and the humor in the situations. Lucy Liu and Josh Hartnett, neither whom I have a favorable opinion of, play off of each other extremely well and are quite likeable. A lot of there scenes actually play like a romantic comedy (something I liked, but someone else may hate).
Old 04-11-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it. (***/*****) As others have mentioned its sort of similar to Usual Suspects, but not nearly as good. Enjoyable though, and some funny, clever dialog.
Old 04-11-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I caught this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It did move a little slow, but I wouldn't say that it dragged since i never really felt "bored" as the plot moved along. I ususally don't care for Lucy Liu, but she really did come across well in this movie, and I thought Josh was excellent as well.
Old 04-12-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I saw this and I thought the movie was slow and some of the dialogue just got on my fucking nerves. My wife said she really enjoyed it though.....
Old 04-12-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A problem. Lucy Liu's character seems to have been written in after-the-fact, as if someone just said "there needs to be a love interest". As such, I don't have much of a problem with her existence (she's sweet in the film), but her character's resolution.

Spoiler:
My problem with that was, how did 'Slevin' know Goodkat was going to shoot her in the chest? In the course of the movie, Goodkat shoots a bookie twice in the back, is about to kill young 'Slevin' with one in the back of the head, shoots bodyguards multiple times, breaks Nick Fisher's neck with his hands... why does 'Slevin' assume Goodkat will predictably shoot her in the chest? He seems to kill people in different ways all the time, whtever's easiest or pertinent, and has no predictable way. How would 'Slevin' be sure Goodkat wouldn't shoot her in the head?

Goodkat wasn't in on it - he seemed miffed when he saw her alive, although he accepts it. "I would've understood".
Old 04-12-06, 05:15 PM

Did anyone else notice how much ugly wallpaper there was in this movie?
Old 04-14-06, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Detective Thorn
Yes. Everything seemed to look like it was clashing or off-putting. Slevin's terrible hair and sweater vests... the cold, sterile airport place...
Old 04-14-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detective Thorn
Yeah, I commented about it to my wife. The corridors in the building were bizarre as well. I've never seen such ugly set decoration.

The film - liked it. Just liked all the pieces being brought together and the acting was very good, particularly Kingsley. Great fun!

***½/****
Old 04-14-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Andalusia
I think so. What the hell is a sleven, anyway?
Old 04-14-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
It makes sense if you see the movie.
Old 04-15-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Were this film trimmed up a bit, it could have been a much better film, but as-is, it take a little too long to get started, and by the time the conclusion arrives, it doesn't quite have the impact it should have had for a tale of interweaving distractions and misdirections, with plenty of people dying in the process.

I will say how pleasantly surprised at how likable Lucy Liu could be for her character in the film, and she had good chemistry with Josh Hartnett. I'd feared she'd typecast herself playing the saucy dominatrix take-no-prisoners roles of past 5 years. Bruce Willis turns in another cool but enigmatic performance, while Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley gets to play menacing characters.

Overall, it's a decent matinee film if you have a few hours to spare.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-18-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I really liked this movie. Enjoyable performances throughout. I really liked how odd Ben Kingsley's character was at times. Definitely will be picking this up once it hits DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.