Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner to release a number of racially sensitive dvd's 01.10.06

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warner to release a number of racially sensitive dvd's 01.10.06

These are all coming the Tuesday before the Martin Luther King, Jr holiday. It looks like they will be tying these in as a historical refrence in the history of African Americans in film. No mention of a box set here, which is strange for Warner. Here's to hoping. I missed this a few days back, and after a search it seems several others did as well.

from davis dvd

Just announced from Warner Bros are a number of new-to-DVD catalog titles. Arriving January 10th, 2006 are Buffalo Soldiers, the great Cabin the Sky (with commentary by Dr. Todd Boyd, Dr. Drew Casper, Evangela Anderson, Eva Anderson and Fayard Nicholas with Lena Horne, the 1946 MGM short "Studio Visit," "Ain't It the Truth" audio outtake, trailer), Freedom Song, The Green Pastures (commentary by LeVar Burton, Herb Boyd and Ed Guerrero, 1933 WB short "Rufus Jones for President," 1935 Vitaphone short "An All-Colored Vaudville Show," trailer), Hallelujah (commentary by Donald Bogle and Avery Clayton Pie, 1932 WB short "Pie Blackbird," 1936 Vitaphone short "The Black Network," trailer) and Heat Wave. Retail is $19.97 each.
Old 10-10-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great! Now someone needs to release Stormy Weather, Gone Are The Days, and some other gems.
Old 10-10-05, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
The Green Pastures (commentary by LeVar Burton, Herb Boyd and Ed Guerrero, 1933 WB short "Rufus Jones for President," 1935 Vitaphone short "An All-Colored Vaudville Show," trailer)
It's too bad they aren't including this as an extra:

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/.../ltcuts11.html

A Guide To Censored Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

"The Censored 11"

"The Censored 11" are eleven cartoons that are considered "racist" or "too politically incorrect" by today's standards. This list was created in 1968 by United Artists (then owners of the A.A.P. library) and is of cartoons withheld from distribution by the current distributor. Ted Turner refused to allow any of them to be transmitted on television or released on home videotape or laser videodisc.

"Clean Pastures" (Freleng; 1937)

Caricatures of popular black musical stars of the day (Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, and Jimmie Lunceford) are seen as angels in heaven, where they "liven things up" by playing "Swing For Sale".
Old 10-10-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i thought about that myself. Warner does seem to add cartoons, and its early on....that would be a good way to test the waters.
Old 10-10-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Big for Cabin in the Sky.
Big for Todd Boyd being included on it.
Old 10-11-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from davis dvd

Old 10-11-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
Big for Cabin in the Sky.
Big for Todd Boyd being included on it.
Just curious, what's your beef with Boyd? He and Casper are professors of mine, and I think they're pretty entertaining.
Old 10-11-05, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by filmerp
Just curious, what's your beef with Boyd? He and Casper are professors of mine, and I think they're pretty entertaining.
Can't comment on Boyd myself, as I don't remember hearing a commentary from him. But I really despise Casper's commentaries. His commentary for White Heat was deadly dull, an almost unbelievable feat for such an exciting movie. It was unfocused, uninformative, conjectural, vague, and boring. (I have to say that Casper's voice annoys me, too. Sort of like scraping fingernails on a blackboard.)
Old 10-11-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Ambassador
But I really despise Casper's commentaries. His commentary for White Heat was deadly dull, an almost unbelievable feat for such an exciting movie. It was unfocused, uninformative, conjectural, vague, and boring. (I have to say that Casper's voice annoys me, too. Sort of like scraping fingernails on a blackboard.)
lol Have to agree with you there. I still haven't finished that commentary yet. Sorry, but whenever he would pause from speaking, I would expect him to talk about the wardrobe or make-up (He sounds JUST like that fashion designer that you might've seen on "I Love The 80's")

I've heard Boyd's commentary on Superfly and didn't really mind it. Though I can see where the detractors come from. Just check out the review of it over at ratethatcommentary.com

On topic, I haven't seen Cabin yet, but I liked Pastures...Despite some agonizing lines, "You's a good tricker, Moses". Still might get it.
Old 10-11-05, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by filmerp
I had a personal incident with him that soured my opinion of him. I'll just leave it at that, because it wouldn't be fair to get into it without his side of the story.

I wouldn't mind if he was on a track of his own, but I'd rather not hear him on an edited group commentary, of a movie I love, when other, better qualified, less self-serving, more knowledgable commentators are available.

Last edited by William Fuld; 10-11-05 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

I love Cabin In the Sky I stop and watch it whenever I see it on.
Old 10-11-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ambassador
... I really despise Casper's commentaries. His commentary for White Heat was deadly dull, an almost unbelievable feat for such an exciting movie. It was unfocused, uninformative, conjectural, vague, and boring.
I listened to him on Joan Crawford's POSSESSED last week .... and apparently he's consistent. It was one of the few times I nearly nodded off while listening to a commentary. Other adjectives that would seem appropriate: dreary, pedantic, dry and vapid.
Old 10-11-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

same...Casper knows his stuff, no doubt. But his speaking voice leaves much to be desired. It can really detract from an audio track.
Old 10-12-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suppose I can understand the irritation to Casper's voice on a commentary track. I've never heard either of them on a commentary, but it's the physical interaction in class that makes the two professors interesting. Casper especially, who is unpredictable and often breaks out into song and dance, though a bit frustrating to take notes on as he's all over the place. Boyd-- he is of very strong opinion. Again, often entertaining in person just because he's so outlandish.
Old 10-12-05, 09:12 PM

Boyd actually showed Cabin in the Sky in his History of African American Cinema class that I took and he had some very interesting things to say about the racial stereotypes prevalent in the film. And since him and Casper are notorious for disagreeing, it should be quite an entertaining commentary.

William, I'm sorry you had an incident with Boyd, but having taken several classes taught by him I have to say he is one of the best professors I've ever had.
Old 10-12-05, 09:32 PM

I'm glad you and filmerp have had good experiences with him, really. My original comment was a knee-jerk reaction, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

Anyway, I'm really excited about Warner Bros. stepping up and releasing these titles. It would've been easy for them to sweep them under the rug (I'm looking at you, Disney).
Old 10-13-05, 06:46 PM

After having helped get this thread a little off-topic, I thought I ought to mention something about the upcoming releases that I forgot to say in my earlier post:

Hallelujah was directed by the great King Vidor, an important director whose work for MGM has been trickling out very slowly from Warners to date. Personally, I'd love to see his work be made their choice for their next Silent Archive project. Three of his films -- The Big Parade, La Boheme, and The Crowd -- rank among the finest films directed by an American during the 1920s. I'm particularly pleased to see Warners include a commentary, but I'd really like to encourage them to explore their large collection of silents more seriously.
Old 10-13-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thats some of the best off topic discussion i have seen in a while, good to hear from all of you. Agreed, that King Vidor needs more exposure on dvd, i hope that he not only works into a silent collection but a signature set as well.
Old 10-14-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great news. My dad loves Green Pastures and this comes out just in time for his birthday!

Last edited by Brain Stew; 10-14-05 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

still no mention of a box set but here is some cover art for the aboce mentioned titles

Old 11-01-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great cover art for Cabin in the Sky.
Old 11-02-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd buy Cabin in the Sky and Halleujah on the strength of the cover art alone. The other cover art is atrocious. I can't make out what's happening on the cover of Buffalo Soldiers. Is that a tunnel in the shoulder of a Mount-Rushmore-size Danny Glover which the soldiers are riding out of?
Old 11-04-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed on the cover art...
Old 11-28-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fox is on board with Pinky, Stormy Weather and Island in the Sun

and original cover art is coming

i could have swore that these had their own thread, but i couldn't find it. feel free to link me if so. someone asked for stormy weather earlier...so there ya go
Old 12-27-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

courtesy of davis dvd

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.