Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Peckinpah Western Box Set on 01/10/2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peckinpah Western Box Set on 01/10/2006

Taken From this morning's USA Today:

Devotees of the late director Sam Peckinpah will revel in the upcoming "Sam Peckinah Legendary Westerns Collection (from Warner Bros $59.92, out January 10th). Mosat coveted rarities in the bos set: two disc special editions of The Wild Bunch, enhanced for widescreen TVs for the first time, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid with a version restored to the late director's original intention. The other two films are Ride the High Country (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) and The Ballard of Cable Hogue (Jason Robards and Stella Stevens).

Also stated that several documentries will be included.
Old 10-07-05, 08:58 AM

Great news! Thanks for posting this. It's about time we got a better version of The Wild Bunch.

Does anyone know what kind of restoration was done on Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid? I've seen a version on VHS, but that was it. Is it similar to the work done on Major Dundee?

-- Jim
Old 10-07-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess this is why Warner discontinued the regualar DVD of The Wild Bunch a little while back. Great news! Thanks for posting it!!
Old 10-07-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Ride The High Country is one of my favorites, so great to see it included.
Old 10-07-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-07-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Peckinpah get!
Old 10-07-05, 10:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Nice! Ride The High Country is one of my favorites, so great to see it included.
Arguably one of my favorite movies of all time.

Having a date for this box set is such great news.
Old 10-07-05, 11:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to admit I've only seen 'The Wild Bunch' but this box set is obviousily a great purchase and opportunity to see his other films for myself - bring it on!
Old 10-07-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sold...Great news
Old 10-07-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got rid of my copy of the Wild Bunch last year in anticipation of a better release. Finally the wait is almost over, and look forward to getting the other films in the box set.
Old 10-07-05, 12:00 PM

I am very curious to watch the director's cut of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. First stellar DVDs of Osterman, Alfredo Garcia, Major Dundee and now this - Peckinpah's film library is finally getting the respect on DVD it has so long deserved.

Too bad the Convoy DVD was such a trainwreck.
Old 10-07-05, 12:08 PM

^ I actually ripped and adjusted the aspect ratio on my Convoy disc to make it watchable, burning it to a DVD-R. I'm still hoping for a better release in the future as my technique resulted in some odd artifacting. Peckinpah & CW McCall fans deserve better.

How is Osterman Weekend? I've never seen and almost picked it up used at FYE the other week, but held off.
Old 10-07-05, 12:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jpfisher

How is Osterman Weekend? I've never seen and almost picked it up used at FYE the other week, but held off.
yeah, what's the story with this release - is it an extended director's cut?
Old 10-07-05, 12:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

well, If the Val Lewton box is any guide, Warners will sell the discs seperately, also.
Im 'all over' as they say in America, THE WILD BUNCH
Old 10-07-05, 12:25 PM

It had been rumored that The Getaway would also be a part of this boxset. I'm glad that WHV has decided not to include it since many would already have purchased it in the Steve McQueen box (not to mention that it's outside of the Western genre).

I've really been looking forward to this release & will be preordering it as soon as it's available.
Old 10-07-05, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
yeah, what's the story with this release - is it an extended director's cut?
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0086058/alternateversions

On the Anchor Bay DVD release there is a rough cut made by Sam Peckinpah which he made showed to the test audience. Because the majority of the audience walked out, from the imfamous sex between Fassett and his wife. The producer wanted Peckinpah to cut the scene out. Once he refuse to made the cuts, he got fired. Other scenes. 1) The sex scene is more extended and shot more wobbly to express how Fassett breaking point for revenge had started. 2) Delete scene of Osterman and Joe talking on the phone about their deal. 3) Extended scene of Virginia flirting with Dick on the phone. 4) There a deleted scene of John Tanner of having an affair with his director Marcia, there wakes up to find her dead. 5) The scene where Tanner and guest are arguing by the dinner table, in the theatrical cut Fassett switches on a Swiss ad, the Peckinpah's cut he has like a big image of Danforth. 6) Alterative ending is juxtapositioned between Tanner searching for his family and the TV studio.
Old 10-07-05, 01:32 PM

The greatest box set release.... EVER. I have been waiting a long time to hear that I'll be seeing Pat Garrett and Ballad of Cable Hogue come out on DVD to go along with the other well known staples of Peckinpah. 2006 is the year of Peckinpah and I personally couldn't be more pleased.
Old 10-07-05, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by jpfisher
Does anyone know what kind of restoration was done on Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid? I've seen a version on VHS, but that was it. Is it similar to the work done on Major Dundee?

-- Jim
This new cut debuted at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival, and was supervised by Peckinpah scholars Nick Redman and Paul Seydor (based on Peckinpah's notes).
According to this post:
The new cut contains additional scenes, including a scene between Pat Garrett and his wife, the Ruthie Lee scene, an extended sequence with the prostitutes, and Bob Dylan's song has been reinstated
Spoiler:
into Slim Pickens very memorable death scene
Nick Redman has posted some additional information:
Garner [Simmons], Paul [Seydor], David [Weddle] and I have done commentaries on all the Warner Peckinpahs, as well as the about-to-be released Major Dundee,and I have to say they are a lot of fun to do, and I hope they are fun and informative for the listeners. In fact, for the PAT GARRETT disc we did two commentaries, one on the old so-called "director's cut," and one on the new cut which Paul Seydor and I supervised, which specifically charts the differences between the two, and why the director's cut wasn't the director's cut at all.
Old 10-07-05, 02:32 PM

Sounds awesome - thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another "thanks" to the OP for this great news. I just wish the set had contained Peckinpah's first film, The Deadly Companions, which is currently available from various PD companies, but I'm not sure if any are quality releases. According to the post below, none are OAR:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpos...99&postcount=3
Old 10-07-05, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Another "thanks" to the OP for this great news. I just wish the set had contained Peckinpah's first film, The Deadly Companions, which is currently available from various PD companies, but I'm not sure if any are quality releases. According to the post below, none are OAR:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpos...99&postcount=3
It's available as a barebones OAR anamorphic disc - very nice transfer by all accounts - in Japan.
Old 10-07-05, 04:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm in for The Wild Bunch.
Old 10-07-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, baby!
Old 10-07-05, 05:40 PM

Ballad of Cable Hogue is not getting enough love here, so let me say that it is one of Peckinpah's best films. I caught it as a midnight movie over 15 years ago and was blown away, its about time that it got a release on DVD.
Old 10-07-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice. Definite pre-order for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.