DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$ 20 Off Coupon HBO TV sets at Costco ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
$ 20 Off Coupon HBO TV sets at Costco ?

Can anyone verify this post from DVD Price Search:

Checkout your local Costco to get $20 off select HBO TV DVDs (reported in NY & FL):
In-store coupon 8/22-8/28 only. Prices before coupon: - Sopranos 1-5 $58.99
- Deadwood $64.99
- Six Feet Under $64.00
These selections and others may vary by location - No limit coupon
Old 08-23-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. It is one of those "oversized sheets they hand you on the way out for next week". Don't have a camera or scanner handy, but trust me.

I guess it's only on those sets, as it specifically mentions only three item numbers, 912135, 895133, and 991419.

Right under the date, though, it says "Also Available at Costco.com". Only two other items on that page say the same. You might want to check it out!
Old 08-23-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep... Available on the website as well. Unsure of the shipping.

Old 08-23-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, it's good online....just the three series though (apparently not Six Feet Under Season 4 though)
Old 08-23-05, 01:35 PM
Banned

Band of Brothers is also included.
Old 08-23-05, 02:20 PM

Thanks all. Hopefully I will find a coupon when i go to Costco after work.
Old 08-23-05, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think i might pick up the Sopranos season 5.

If someone is looking for a Band of BRothers and wants to pick up a Sopranos season 5, i will trade you my unopened Band of Brothers.

I think these are nice deals.
Old 08-23-05, 03:20 PM

can anyone confirm whether or not this deal works for Six Feet Under seaons 4?

Garrett
Old 08-23-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Thanks all. Hopefully I will find a coupon when i go to Costco after work.
I went to the Eugene (OR) store yesterday; the person working the front door didn't have any of the coupon sheets (I don't know if they had run out or if she was just being lazy,) but I found one in a shopping cart and used it to picked up Deadwood: S1. I'm sure, however, if I hadn't found an old coupon sheet I could have gotten one from the customer service center.

And garrettg, I didn't see any copies of Six Feet Under: S4; in fact, it looked like the Eugene store only had Season 3 (50+ copies!) along with all five seasons of Sopranos and Carnivale: S1.
Old 08-23-05, 07:57 PM

Just got back from the Arrowhead store in Peoria AZ and picked up Band of Brothers no probs. There was even a store worker asking ME how the coupon was going to work haha. I simply said, it should work on all these HBO tv sets like the coupon says and went to the checkout.
Old 08-23-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
do you need the coupon for this?

also, i checked shipping for 1, and it's 6.59. for 2, it's 7.56.
Old 08-23-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by garrettg
can anyone confirm whether or not this deal works for Six Feet Under seaons 4?

Garrett
Can't help you there. My costco just had, from what I could see, a handful of one season (don't recall which one, I was just looking for Season 4 for you), but none of Season 4. Don't know if they were out, or just don't carry it. There was a mysterious gap on the rack right below it where S4 could have been.

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
do you need the coupon for this?
Well, you could always argue that you bought earlier in the week, and they took your "no limit" coupon at that time. As usual, my costco checkout line had loose copies they used of the more "popular" coupons for the week...
Old 08-23-05, 09:30 PM

FWIW - if you are considering Carnivale S1, it is available for about $22+shipping from most korean dvd webstores (dvdheaven, koreandvds, etc). It is labeled as region 3, so you will probably need a region-free player or one that can be made region free with help from videohelp.com .

If your player is not "hackable" -- for the price difference between the Korean release and the US release you could almost BUY one of those cheapo dvd players that can easily be made region free.

Too bad the other HBO sets are not so cheap in R3.
Old 08-24-05, 04:42 PM

I picked up Seasons 2 and 3 of "Six Feet Under" at my local Costco for $44.99 after the coupon. I did not see any other seasons there.

The funny thing is that both seasons had the same "991419" Costco product ID number.

Bob
Old 08-24-05, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_F1
The funny thing is that both seasons had the same "991419" Costco product ID number.

Bob
That is the way it always is at Costco. The number identifies the producer and price point. Each individual seasons of a show does not get its own number. Sometimes different seasons of a show will sell for different prices, in which case each will have a different code.
Old 08-25-05, 09:30 AM

That's interesting. I did not know that.

Bob

Originally Posted by Classic Films
That is the way it always is at Costco. The number identifies the producer and price point. Each individual seasons of a show does not get its own number. Sometimes different seasons of a show will sell for different prices, in which case each will have a different code.
Old 08-25-05, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

Hey, can anyone tell me if the these sets are still sealed once the package is opened? When I bought Sex, they were still sealed, but my Looney Tunes weren't. This wouldn't be a big deal, but the looney tunes sets were damaged and the Sex were perfect. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-10-05, 12:15 PM
Banned

wonderful...I just searched and found this. Man I missed out bigtime with this one. I want to try Carnivale, but I'm not sure since they have cancelled the series after season 2.
Old 09-10-05, 01:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Dalvin, don't let HBO's cancellation of Carnivale keep you from watching it. Season One was really good, Season Two was some of the best stuff that HBO has done in years. I anticipated each week more than the last and the finale (of the show...damn) was rewarding

And I did this 20$ off SFU a few weeks back. They didn't carry the seasons at my local CostCo, but I was able to do it online and got the first three seasons for around 44$ each. They arrived less than a week later.

So thanks to whoever started this thread. W
Old 09-10-05, 01:45 PM

An update on the Korean Carnivale release for ~$23. I've received my copy and the discs are region 1, 3 and 4 which means it plays just fine in a regular USA DVD player. They appear to be almost a straight port of the USA release.

In addition to Carnivale -- and not yet confirmed as being region-1 compatible -- the various Korean webstores are selling Sopranos season 1 & 2, and Six Feet Under season 1 & 2 for under $30 each. See some of the posts in the international forum for more details.
Old 09-10-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by david12
Dalvin, don't let HBO's cancellation of Carnivale keep you from watching it. Season One was really good, Season Two was some of the best stuff that HBO has done in years.

All due respect, david, I'm not quite sure I agree with your opinion. As a viewer who gave two seasons' worth of viewing just to be left hanging... I don't know if I'd suggest someone to willingly subject themselve to the same frustration. And considering the high ticket prices of these sets (even w/ discount), even more so.

Just once guy's opinion, though.
Old 09-10-05, 04:24 PM

When you can actually buy season 2, just skip the last 5 minutes of the last episode and it will feel like the story was mostly wrapped up. Those extra 5 minutes are HUGE, unfullfilled cliffhanger.
Old 09-11-05, 02:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I wasn't suggesting he buy the sets. I was just suggesting that he watch the show, because dispite the cliffhanger that will never be resolved, the show was great. Jonsey and Ben in the middle of the desert, crows overhead, tar and feathers, and the amazing sunlight...that is what I remember most. I would never shell out 70 bucks on something I had never seen, but I would rent it...especially since renting has become so cheap.
W