SAW SE - October ?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SAW SE - October ?

Old 05-12-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAW SE - October ?

From BLoody-disgusting today...

On the set of Lions Gate Films' Saw 2, B-D's Mike Periera was informed that the Saw Special Edition DVD will in fact see a release this October and will contain not only the director's cut but will very likely contain the actual short Director James Wan and writer/star Leigh Whannell made, which got Saw greenlit years ago. Darren Bousman directs the sequel, which stars Donnie Wahlberg, Franky G., Glenn Plummer, Emmanuelle Vaugier, Beverley Mitchell and Eric Knudsen, with Shawnee Smith, Dina Meyer and Tobin Bell. Saw 2 hits theaters October 28th.

Figures. Ill get it if it has a FREE ticket to Saw 2 and has some good extras.
Old 05-12-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Sons of bitches. I wish they would have released this in the first place.
Old 05-12-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad I didn't jump on this straight away. I'll wait and get the Director's Cut.
Old 05-12-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Saw 2 already? Yikes!
Old 05-13-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
And movie studios wonder why people with limited money don't feel the least bit of remorse downloading or buying pirate versions of movies. I didn't buy this one either. There were several "double-dip" warning signs:

1) A sequel was coming
2) The first release was only 1 disk
3) It was a matter of record that "Saw" was slightly edited to avoid a NC-17, but the "rated" version was the only one release in the US (of course, other regions got the uncut version)

If any DVD has 1 of these, there's a decent chance of double-dipping. 2 of these raises the odds to "quite likely". When all 3 happen, it's a shock when you don't get the double-dip.
Old 05-13-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree Brain,thus I am not surprised..nor pissed off at the news like some people. It's not unexpected that studios try to double dip and with how lackluster(in terms of extras) the first Saw dvd was. It seemed quite obvious they were holding out on us.

Will they pull the same thing with High Tension or release it uncut immediately on dvd?

I can see it now...first release...cut-dubbed R version...then once the Hills Have Eyes remake is released. Tadah....uncut-original French language version would be released!

I sure hope that does not hapen. Since it would suck having to wait even longer for the real version of the film. Note-I do not have PAL/R2 capability..so that is why I don't own it on dvd yet.
Old 05-13-05, 08:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Will they pull the same thing with High Tension or release it uncut immediately on dvd?
most likely yes, I hope none of y'all give Lions Gate your money for the theatrical CENSORED, DUBBED version of the film.
Old 05-13-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker

I can see it now...first release...cut-dubbed R version...then once the Hills Have Eyes remake is released. Tadah....uncut-original French language version would be released!

I sure hope that does not hapen. Since it would suck having to wait even longer for the real version of the film. Note-I do not have PAL/R2 capability..so that is why I don't own it on dvd yet.
Lion's Gate doesn't have a particularly good reputation for releasing good DVDs, do they? I can't imagine imagine anything touching the recent British release (2 DVDs, uncut, commentaries, tons of extras). Don't put up with Hollywood's bs -- go region free!!!
Old 05-13-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll get it if it has the ticket also....I don't own the current release anyways...just rented it and it was good.
Old 05-13-05, 03:39 PM
Banned

The clear packaging was what sucked me into buying it the first time, and the fact it was $9 and change the first week out, at a local Wal-Mart, thanks to a pricing error. If it comes with a movie ticket, I'll douple dip on it, for sure. Otherwise, I'll probably hold out.
Old 05-13-05, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Giles
most likely yes, I hope none of y'all give Lions Gate your money for the theatrical CENSORED, DUBBED version of the film.
...Which will find a bigger audience...

What can you do...
Old 05-13-05, 04:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the masses, don't know shit. Lions Gate shovels the shit and the horror crowd is clueless - sad really.
Old 05-13-05, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew there'd be an SE tie-in with the sequel ... but I just couldn't wait that long. I freakin' love Saw. I'll eBay the original DVD once October gets closer.

(And I don't think the horror crowd is clueless. The hardcore fans follow the horror news quite closely.)

Re: High Tension, I saw the uncut French version at Sundance, and I am a little curious to see the dubbed version as well. But when it comes to adding the movie to my collection, it's gotta be the original language and an uncut version or No Sale!