Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Carbine Williams on DVD when? Jimmy Stewart 1952

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbine Williams on DVD when? Jimmy Stewart 1952

Carbine Williams? who owns it. It plays on Turner every once in a while. It seems that MgM produced it in 1952, but I wonder who owns it. MgM (Sony), or Warner Brothers. This never had a laserdisc or vhs release. So what has become of it. This question was posed in a James Stewart Thread, but got no response...so what do we have to do to get this on dvd?

Carbine Williams at IMDB

found this at the Turner site

Thus, when he went to MGM to star in the life story of David Marshall Williams, it was not too difficult to accept him as an embittered prisoner, nor was it too much of a financial risk for Stewart or MGM. But more than just a portrayal of a convicted killer, Carbine Williams was the inspiring true story of Williams' efforts to invent the M1 rifle, a successor to the Winchester rifle and the weapon that revolutionized modern warfare. More than 8 million carbines were used by American troops in World War II, thanks to the tenacity and inventiveness of "Carbine" Williams.

Director: Richard Thorpe
Producer: Armand Deutsch
Screenplay: Art Cohn
Cinematography: William Mellor
Editor: Newell P. Kimlin
Art Direction: Cedric Gibbons, Eddie Imazu
Music: Conrad Salinger
Cast: James Stewart (Marsh Williams), Jean Hagen (Maggie Williams), Wendell Corey (Capt. H.T. Peoples), Carl Benton Reid (Claude Williams), Paul Stewart ('Dutch' Kruger).
BW-94m. Close captioning.
Old 04-14-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't know that much about Carbine Williams, but since you have opend a Jimmy Stewart thread, where's my Broken Aroow at!!!! One of my all-time favorites ever. I've been waiting for this title forever on DVD.
Old 04-14-05, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the only ways to watch this movie has been to tape it from Turner Classic Movies who show it now and again and since its 1.33:1, its OAR. Watch their schedule. Before TCM, I paid too much for a bootleg copy of Carbine Williams.
Old 04-15-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And since MGM also made 'The Naked Spur', maybe they could be released together...
Old 04-15-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so any idea who owns these?

i keep hoping for a james stewart signature edition
Old 04-15-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most likely Warner Brothers since they control all the Mgm titles before 1983 or 1984 or something like that. Now if it was a UA (United Artist) title before that date it would be MGM or now it would be Sony, I guess.
Old 04-15-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

they don't control every title....just a large number of them....examples

manchurian candidate
the graduate
bring me the head of alfredo garcia
and so on

Not sure the stipulations on the warner/turner buyout....sure someone can give us some clarification. I do hope it is Warner Brothers. Can't get enough lately
Old 04-15-05, 11:50 PM

As antigun as Hollywood is, I doubt if they will ever release a bio-pic glorifying a convicted killer who invented one of the first assault rifles while in prison. I mean no disrespect to his memory, I regard him as a great man, but that is how the hoplophobes running Tinsel Town will spin it.
Old 04-16-05, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Stewart is one of my favorite actors. I'd also love to see a DVD release of The Spirit of St. Louis
Old 04-16-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

antigun...don't think that will hold water...or your not seeing the same hollywood as I am...a few examples

Old 04-16-05, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott Connors
As antigun as Hollywood is,
You kinda lost me there... Have you seen any movies in the last 50 years?
Old 04-16-05, 05:16 AM

Non of the films cited as evidence of a lack of anti-gun bias in Hollywood represent anything but a fantasy and have no relationship whatever to the realities of firearm ownership in America. A glance at the sponsors of groups such as Handgun Control (now the Brady Campaign) show a veritable who's who of Hollywood. They may well exploit guns to make a buck, but in doing so they make them instruments of fear and intimidation. There has been a trend among some directors to be more realistic--Michael Mann, for instance--but there is a noticeable absence of depictions of how firearms are used by ordinary, well-adjusted, normal people, and not just freaks. This is why I don't think that CARBINE WILLIAMS will ever make it to DVD: it is too positive about firearms. But this is getting off topic. If anyone wishes to discuss this further, is there a politics forum?
Old 04-17-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hollywood...

Your right, this thread need not turn into a gun debate. But I don't think Hollywood and Antigun go together. I doubt you will find many people who would disagree. Studios want money. Gun movies make money. Hollywood has no problem with that. Hollywood is hardly the front runner when it comes to morality issues. They don't need to be.

But back to the matter at hand...

Carbine Williams on dvd...I can't believe no one can provide more info on the Turner buyout.
Old 02-22-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the HTF chat only said that it was being considered, but not in the new Stewart set, and no definite plans it seems.
Old 02-26-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

year later, and Warner assured me that Carbine Williams will be in the next James Stewart set, though we won't see it in 2007