Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash Treatment

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-08-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

Since it's not going to happen, B-D has posted it for the world to view and wonder what might have been...
Old 03-08-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, atleas they can finally admit to it being totally dead. Where is barry? wasn't it him who was supportive that it was a done deal?
Old 03-08-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After reading this, I think it would have made a pretty cool movie. They used themes from all three series of movies, and didn't change any of their characteristics. Plus Ash and Freddy trying to out smartass each other would have been GREAT!
Old 03-08-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eh. didn't really care for it.
Old 03-08-05, 10:44 PM

sad
Old 03-09-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank god it aint happening!
Old 03-09-05, 02:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i was as desperate as anyone to see Ash back in action, but to quote the dying words of Switch, "Not like this. Not like this."
Old 03-09-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's terrible. Glad they really aren't going with it and it will be interesting to see a real ash return in evil dead 4 when that comes to be.
Old 03-19-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I finally got around to reading the treatment and.... I liked it. I mean, I think they'd've needed thrice the budget of Freddy vs. Jason in order to make it worthwhile due to the massive set and effects pieces they were asking for. What I definitely like is that equal time would have been given to all three leads and they would have all done their trademark routines.

Oh well. At least we may finally get Evil Dead 4. Here's hoping that oft rumoured Freddy Krueger biopic and another Jason movie get made as well.
Old 03-19-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot all about this thread after I looked over the treatment.

I too think it's pretty good. I was very unimpressed by Freddy Vs. Jason. Then to hear the commentary and interviews mention all these cool things they wanted to do with the film but didn't....made the film even worse. I think this would of made a more enjoyable film than the first and with a few tweaks it would of been a damn fine film all around.
Old 03-20-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I think this would of made a more enjoyable film than the first and with a few tweaks it would of been a damn fine film all around.

I totally agree and am speaking as someone who enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason. This proposed sequel would have given the matchups the extra oomph they needed. What I'm curious about is exactly why Sam Raimi felt he couldn't make Evil Dead IV (and produce the Evil Dead remake) if this were made. Looking at the treatment, they gave him plenty of wiggle room and would have given him even more if he so requested, thus any further Ash solo outings would have been no problem.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-20-05 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-20-05, 02:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What I'm curious about is exactly why Sam Raimi felt he couldn't make Evil Dead IV (and produce the Evil Dead remake) if this were made. Looking at the treatment, they gave him plenty of wiggle room and would have given him even more if he so requested, thus any further Ash solo outings would have been no problem.
he says here that he didn't want to be in a position where he was telling another director where he could or couldn't go with a character in their own film... "I didn't want to be in a position where I was protecting Ash, the character that I want to eventually make another movie with one day, protecting him and not allowing the director to do what he felt he had to do," Raimi says. "I didn't want to be in a weird position like that."
Old 03-20-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I only made it to page 10 of the 17 page treatment... I'll finish it later. So far as I can tell, this treatment is for a movie that's over 5 hours long. There's no way they'll fit all this crap into one 2 hour movie. Secondly, I don't like that they have Ash as a motivated person trying to fulfill his destiny and destroy the book of the dead. Ash works best as a reluctant hero and basically a coward who tries to talk his way out of shit, but at the same time is a loud mouth braggart. This treatment had his character's core elements changed. I do like alot of the ideas in the treatment, but I don't think it would've worked for me as a finished film.

I think the writer was otherwise faithful to giving the characters equal time and tried to be faithful to the characters' histories. He raped Jason a little bit with the intelligence thing, but otherwise it's okay. I'm ultimately glad they aren't gonna try this.
Old 03-21-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's too bad he felt that way, Cygnet74, as it seems they wouldn't have been opposed to his input.

Yeah, the sense of purpose did rub me the wrong way as well, Trigger. I can only assume that they wanted to capitalize on the S-Mart finale and forgot that Ash isn't 100% like that. Which is weird because later in the treatment they comment on ashh being a blowhard whith a "me first" bent and a coward streak. I guess they could have fixed that.

As for the Jason/intelligence thing, I'm a bit ambivalent in that regard. I like Jason getting more careful in his kills but at the same time that seemed to dillute his unstoppable beast nature. I think I would have preffered the promise of ressurrecting his mother. That would have made what he does to her apparition later on much more significant.

Who knows, maybe some day after Evil Dead IV someone might try to ressurect this project.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-21-05 at 12:44 PM.