Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone try the punisher

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

anyone try the punisher

Old 01-19-05, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone try the punisher

As title says ?? I'm on the fence as to wether I should pick this up blind. I loved the max payne games and this one seems pretty neat. Anyone try it out yet ??
Old 01-19-05, 07:05 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah...I am mildly interested in this one. I think IGN gave it a 8.0. I will wait till I see some customer reviews. I don't know how they implement the "torture" stuff?? Are there like torture devices all over the stages or something?? I don't get it. I hated the movie...but I hear this is supposed to be more like the comic book even though it has the voice of the actor in the movie. I have never read the comic so I don't see why that should matter

wlj
Old 01-19-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I want to try this game out because it looks pretty good,but i am fighting the urge to buy it because i know i will end up playing it for a day or 2 and then never touch it again like all the rest of the console games i buy.
Old 01-19-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like the demo at all. I have never been squeamish about violence in games but the torture mini-games were just too much for me. Also in general i'm not a big fan of 3rd person perspectives, i think it makes them tough to aim the weapons.
Old 01-19-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Its perfect. I played for 4 hours last night. Just couldn't stop. Review scores are low, but the reviews are praising the game, go figure.

Each level has special interrogations, which use the environment (woodchopper, top of buildings, caskets, etc) along with the normal interrogations. Then along with the quick kills, there are special kills which also use the environment (sacrificial alters, caskets, etc) It has a high difficulty, with lots of enemies. Just in 5 levels, Ive already racked up 449 kills. The beginning of the funeral level makes it worth a play, alone.

Last edited by stingermck; 01-19-05 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-19-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I'm kinda bummed that they had to edit the violent content in the game by putting the torture scenes in black&white and just cutting off some of the more greusome stuff, so they'd get an M rating instead of the dreaded AO rating. Kinda like Kill Bill, I guess.

I wonder if there's a code that'll let you play the game uncensored.
Old 01-19-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played the demo and thought it was pretty fun. Not $50 fun, but maybe $20-$30. It's kinda like a poor man's Max Payne game....with a few added fun stuff (interrogations)

I will rent it today if BB has it.
Old 01-19-05, 11:54 AM
RVP

Probably a rental this wekend if it is in. I read in one of the reviews that you could finish it over a weekend.
Old 01-19-05, 12:36 PM

The game's actually pretty good. I was very surprised considering the generally dismal quality of most comic-book licensed games. If you liked MAX PAYNE, you'll probably enjoy THE PUNISHER. It gets pretty raw sometimes, so those without the stomach for hardcore violence should stay clear. I'm a big-time Garth Ennis/Punisher fan, so this game was well worth the $40 for me. Great antisocial fun!
Old 01-20-05, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The game reminds me of Max Payne mixed with the executions from Manhunt. There is a hack for the PC version that makes the black & white scenes colored.
Old 01-20-05, 10:14 AM

I played the first level last night and it was pretty fun. Very Max Payne-ish, but that's always a good thing in my book. One sort of neat thing that I didn't know about is the fact that you get points throughout a level for various things (kills, interrogations, saving innocents, etc...). These can be used to upgrade Punisher with armor, gun scopes, stuff like that.
Old 02-08-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm digging this game. Very fun gameplay, nice graphics and great voice acting.
Old 02-09-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple of my friends who've played say it's a great. I can't wait to pick this one up.
Old 02-09-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played the actual game now, and it was just fair....not great. It is Max Payne-ish for sure....not as good though.

I will definetly pass on this now. Maybe when the price drops, but I hear you can beat it pretty short.....which is like most games these days.
Old 02-09-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rented this game and it was pretty cool but got repetitive. I would definately recommend renting it first!
Old 02-09-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutin
I rented this game and it was pretty cool but got repetitive. I would definately recommend renting it first!

Would love to, but it's always out.

Maxim gave it the highest rating it could, but they also gave it to the recent Tomb Raider game, which was a total stinker IMO. I sometimes wonder if those guys are paid off.
Old 10-17-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
I am currently playing this game thru Gamefly and I am really enjoying it. I think the reviews were rather harsh from what I remember but it is holding my attention.

If you like violence...extreme violence against something other than aliens, this is the game for you. I am in the middle of GTA: San Andreas & I think this game is far more violent. all you do on this is kill, kill, kill. Though it does get repetitive in places the special kills & special interrogations are worth playing this game for alone. Very imaginative in places.

If you can find it for cheap which is likely since it has been out so long, pick it up or rent it. You bloodhounds out there will love it. One of the best video games I have played based on a comic book character. The voice-over work for The Punisher himself is very good. I wish the movie had been this good.
Old 10-17-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Since this has hit the $20 price point, I'll finally be picking it up (right after I beat X-Men Legends).