Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Nick Cave album/s - Excellent!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-24-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Any Nick Cave fans kicking about. Managed to snag an advanced copy of his new double album this week and haven't been able to stop playing it. The first disc is really rocking while the second has more of the dark ballads I enjoy. Been a good last few weeks for me music wise with Elvis Costello, Tom Waits and now Nick Cave out with new discs.
Old 10-24-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's good to hear a positive review. I heard a few samples from the album, and it sounded like he was going for a southern, gospel sound which I didn't find interesting. Does the album sound like a continuation of Nocturama or is it unique like all of Cave's albums?
Old 10-24-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been a huge fan for many years now. I'm looking forward to the new stuff. I've heard snippets here and there and can't wait. He's one of my favorite lyricists. One of the only artists that I read lyrics to every song prior to listening to the actual music. I'm hoping he'll tour again in the spring of 2005. One of the best live performers around.
Old 10-24-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evitagen
It's good to hear a positive review. I heard a few samples from the album, and it sounded like he was going for a southern, gospel sound which I didn't find interesting. Does the album sound like a continuation of Nocturama or is it unique like all of Cave's albums?
Well, I would say it is pretty unique, as you said, much like all Cave albums. There is a gospel feel to the second disc which I really liked mixed in with Cave's usual amazing ballads. The first disc could be compared to Nocturama, if you had to, but is unique in the way it rocks. It reminds me of some of his earlier stuff, to be honest.

It is a great mix, at any rate, and I am sure you'll like it.
Old 10-24-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im a huge Nick Cave fan, in fact hes my favorite. and while the New CDs are his best since The Boatmans Call (which isnt saying much especially since Nocturama was embarrasingly bad), they are still just pretty mediocre works. since its 2 CDs you can get a pretty solid 1 CD out of the songs. again his lyrics are pretty bad, sometimes laughable, but musically it is very good with what seems like more input from The Bad Seeds and the addition of the female vocals is a nice touch. it is a step in the right direction but ultimately unsatisfying and forgettable.
Old 10-24-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scarredgod
im a huge Nick Cave fan, in fact hes my favorite. and while the New CDs are his best since The Boatmans Call (which isnt saying much especially since Nocturama was embarrasingly bad), they are still just pretty mediocre works. since its 2 CDs you can get a pretty solid 1 CD out of the songs. again his lyrics are pretty bad, sometimes laughable, but musically it is very good with what seems like more input from The Bad Seeds and the addition of the female vocals is a nice touch. it is a step in the right direction but ultimately unsatisfying and forgettable.
Although I don't agree with your stating that the album is forgettable (although I may be biased ) I do agree that the addition of the female vocals is a nice touch!
Old 10-24-04, 08:13 PM

Can't wait... I was VERY disappointed by Nocturama. Every once in a while I put it on thinking I should give it another chance... every time I regret not listening to one of his many good albums instead.
Old 10-24-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmm...I happenend to enjoy Nocturama, but not as much as Let Love In. I can't wait to hear this...
Old 10-24-04, 09:19 PM

I just checked out the samples available at www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com, and they sounded pretty good. Of course, I said the same thing about the samples from the new Skinny Puppy album, and that turned out to be one of the biggest let downs in a long while.
Old 10-28-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I thought I'd pop in and say that so far I think the album is really good. I was hoping it would be a little bit longer. I think both discs together are just a little over 82 minutes. I'm probably just going to end up overburning them onto one disc, since I don't really care for swapping discs a lot, and I don't really see myself just wanting to listen to half of the album.

I've only gotten the chance to really listen to one of the discs nice and loud, but it sounded great. A lot better than Nocturama.

I'm torn on the band touring. I just saw Nick Cave a little while ago, and I'd really like to see the Dirty Three again, so I'd almost prefer that the band sit this one out. If they do tour, I'll be there, though.
Old 10-28-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got through "Abattoir Blues" yesterday. Great CD. Some great blues/gospel tunes. I haven't finished the other disc yet, but it it's definitely quieter and more brooding than "AB". My fingers are crossed for any tour dates in 2005, whether it's solo or with the Bad Seeds. Can't wait!
Old 11-21-04, 06:45 PM

Wow, I LOVE it... I can't decide which disc is better. I guess it depends on my mood, but I lean towards Abbatoir Blues (great name, too!) Good to see there's still life after Blixa's departure!
Old 01-07-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick Cave, Borat's neater cousin.

I've been listening to Murder Ballads a lot lately. Great stuff. So, who recommends what Nick Cave?
Old 01-07-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

since someone bumped a Nick Cave thread, his new album with the Bad Seeds is due out pretty soon. its called DIG LAZARUS DIG and the title track is streaming at his website...

http://nickcaveandthebadseeds.com/

its a good song but for some reason i just dont connect with the Nick Cave stuff (even Grinderman) anymore and i used to absolutely worship him.

but regardless, i HIGHLY recommend Nick Cave, he has done some of the all time best stuff. my faves are Boatmans Call, Henry's Dream, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Let Love In, pretty much everything up until Nocturama. and of course his stuff with The Birthday Party i LOVE.
Old 01-07-08, 01:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I loved the double album set. I'm eagerly awaiting the new one.
Old 01-07-08, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
its a good song but for some reason i just dont connect with the Nick Cave stuff (even Grinderman) anymore and i used to absolutely worship him.

but regardless, i HIGHLY recommend Nick Cave, he has done some of the all time best stuff. my faves are Boatmans Call, Henry's Dream, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Let Love In, pretty much everything up until Nocturama. and of course his stuff with The Birthday Party i LOVE.
Strong agreement here. I think No More Shall We Part was the turning point for me, because Nick Cave starting singing in a higher register with a more nasally sound on that album. It changed the whole vibe of the band, and I appreciate that album less and less with time. The 90s releases, as you mentioned, are still very good in my opinion.
Old 01-07-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May be obvious, but Grinderman kicks all kinds of ass and is occasionally genuinely funny to boot.
Old 01-09-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: New Nick Cave album/s - Excellent!

Just to keep you guys updated...

New Nick Cave

NEW ALBUM: NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS 'PUSH THE SKY AWAY' - OUT FEB 2013

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds release their fifteenth studio album PUSH THE SKY AWAY on 18 February 2013

“Well, if I were to use that threadbare metaphor of albums being like children, then Push The Sky Away is the ghost-baby in the incubator and Warren’s loops are its tiny, trembling heart-beat.” Nick Cave

At the heart of Push the Sky Away is a naturalism and warmth that makes it the most subtly beautiful of all the Bad Seeds albums. The contemporary settings of myths, and the cultural references that have time-stamped Nick’s songs of the twenty-first century mist lightly through details drawn from the life he observed around his seaside home, through the tall windows on the album’s mysterious and ambiguous cover.

The songs on this album took form in a modest notebook with shellac covers over the course of almost a year. The notebook is a treasured analogue artefact but the internet is equally important to Nick: Googling curiosities, being entranced by exotic Wikipedia entries “whether they’re true or not”. These songs convey how on the internet profoundly significant events, momentary fads and mystically-tinged absurdities sit side-by-side and question how we might recognise and assign weight to what’s genuinely important.

Push the Sky Away was produced by Nick Launay and recorded at La Fabrique, a recording studio based in a 19th Century mansion in the South of France, where the walls of the main studio are lined with an immense collection of classical vinyl.

“I enter the studio with a handful of ideas, unformed and pupal; it’s the Bad Seeds that transform them into things of wonder. Ask anyone who has seen them at work. They are unlike any other band on earth for pure, instinctive inventiveness.” Nick Cave

On this album it’s not always apparent what instruments the band is playing: they may be traditional musical instruments but other sounds are clearly generated by objects unrelated to musical instruments. What’s being created is a collective musical language that’s rich and complex.

Push the Sky Away has a clarity and sweet strangeness that’s built upon the refusal to accept limitations, whether they be the traditional uses and sounds of musical instruments, lyric styles, or diminished spiritual horizons.

“I don’t know, this record just seems new, you know, but new in an old school kind of way” Nick Cave

Track one “We No Who U R” is available from 3 December as a download with every pre-order album purchase via nickcave.com or iTunes.

The track will also be available as a single download from all digital retailers.

Watch the trailer: http://bzz.is/8k8

Tracklisting:
We No Who U R
Wide Lovely Eyes
Water’s Edge
Jubilee Street
Mermaids
We Real Cool
Finishing Jubilee Street
Higgs Boson Blues
Push The Sky Away
Cover art photo credit: Dominique Issermann
New Single:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tjF57zEbxpI?list=PLcXviRsCvzrCzBJs8sgaUZyTXuRiROFYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Album Trailer (video from studio):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aK59GDfWvsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tour:
http://www.nickcave.com/live/

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis also recently scored "West of Memphis" (the new West Memphis Three documentary).
Old 01-09-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SFranke
Strong agreement here. I think No More Shall We Part was the turning point for me, because Nick Cave starting singing in a higher register with a more nasally sound on that album. It changed the whole vibe of the band, and I appreciate that album less and less with time. The 90s releases, as you mentioned, are still very good in my opinion.
I have a similar opinion. I think what finally dawned on me is that NMSWP was the introduction of Warren Ellis as the musical arranger, and he seemed to gradually take on a greater role in shaping the music compared to Mick Harvey. The newer albums are still good, but I don't have that same awe as with his earlier work.

With regards to the new album, I am cautiously optimistic and hope he will at least make a So Cal stop on the tour. I am starting to hear rumors that the Bad Seeds might show up at Coachella as the timing seems about right.
Old 02-20-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cDc4tA-TM1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-20-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tomorrow night's show at the Fonda Theater will also be streamed live. I was all set to purchase tickets to that show a few weeks back, but balked when I discovered each seat was going for around $160.00. Too steep for me. I managed to score some great seats to his San Diego appearance this April for about half that price, though. Regardless of how the new album is, if you're even a casual fan, try and see him live. He's easily one of my favorite live performers.
Old 02-21-13, 04:27 PM
Banned by request

Album's out now. I'm liking it so far.
Old 02-21-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Cool. Do they rock out at all in this one? The singles were quiet and serious.
Old 02-21-13, 04:54 PM
Banned by request

It's pretty quiet and serious so far.
Old 02-23-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New CD is very laid back, but that's actually been a nice contrast with the recent pair of Grinderman releases. This will probably be a grower for me, but my favorite tracks so far are "Jubilee Street", "Higgs Boson Blues", and the title track.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.