Reload this Page >

Star Wars DVD Changes/lack of OT discussion thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-29-04, 02:49 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the place to express your opinions over the version of SW that are coming out on DVD, good or bad.
Old 07-29-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Not buying the Stupid Editions!
Old 07-29-04, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for round three, huh? Ok - I'm game.

Originally posted by Lara Means
I have yet to hear any valid arguments from any 'Pro-Lucas Everything' people as to why they like the changes done to the classic films and how the changes were needed and actually improve the entire trilogy.
* Continuity. The saga is one big continuous story after all.
* You can say that the crappy matte lines around the TIE Fighters or the bad rear projected Rancor was a good thing?
* The film stock was saved from further deterioration. If they hadn't restored the movie when they did, the negatives would have been so far gone that it would have been lost to us forever.

Despite your effort to pigeonhole me into as a Lucas apologist, that's not true. There are things I don't like about the special edition - Greedo vs Han, Lukes scream (thankfully gone) the pacing of the escape from Bespin being thrown off by Vader landing, and so on.

However, these momentary burps are insignificant to the overall picture. And that overall picture is an improvement.
Old 07-29-04, 02:57 PM
Retired

Yep, round three. Some people had valid points that it's good to have a debate and that some people enjoy such discussions.

So here's a thread were both sides can debate to their hearts' content. Lets just keep it civil shall we.

And there's a seperate thread to simply post info on the dvds, changes, other specs, etc. with no discussion for those that just want to keep up on the info without having to read through these stupid arguments and flame wars.

That thread is here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=377414
Old 07-29-04, 03:52 PM
Retired

Having looked at what was posted in the info thread thus far (I'd not bothered with the other thread as it was too far off topic) I like the changes mentioned.

With the SEs, all I disliked where Greedo shooting first and Luke's scream in ESB (though I didn't notice that one until I read about it).

Greedo still shoots first, but at least it will look a little better, still sucks by I can live with it. Lukes scream has been removed.

The other changes noted thus far are just special effects improvements, which I like, or minor things that don't bother me one way or the other (like Hayden as ghost Anakin and the added stuff to the end celebration). The new dialog seems fine to me as well, it's not like the original dialog was great either. Lucas, as much as I love the movies, isn't much of a dialog writer.
Old 07-29-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Time for round three, huh? Ok - I'm game.

* Continuity. The saga is one big continuous story after all.
* You can say that the crappy matte lines around the TIE Fighters or the bad rear projected Rancor was a good thing?
* The film stock was saved from further deterioration. If they hadn't restored the movie when they did, the negatives would have been so far gone that it would have been lost to us forever.

Despite your effort to pigeonhole me into as a Lucas apologist, that's not true. There are things I don't like about the special edition - Greedo vs Han, Lukes scream (thankfully gone) the pacing of the escape from Bespin being thrown off by Vader landing, and so on.

However, these momentary burps are insignificant to the overall picture. And that overall picture is an improvement.
Thumbs up to this post! I agree with him exactly!

I like almost all of the updates to the SE and so far the DVDs.

For sci-fi movies, he is helping them hold up to time. Alot of sci-fi movies made at that time look cheesy now.

Now, as far as the writing and acting in the new prequels, that is a different thread.
Old 07-29-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
"Wee-sa free"? Oh jebus, tell me that's a joke.
Old 07-29-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't mind the change. Why not? because I have the LD and many different versions of the film. Besides that I work for fox. So it is my duty to shill out whenever possible. Have it be for I, Robot, Alien Vs Predator or even Garfield.. which I thought was Film gold! So when Star Wars is released I will enjoy it at a very low price. I could not be happier.

^_______________^
Old 07-29-04, 04:01 PM
Retired

Originally posted by RockStrongo

For sci-fi movies, he is helping them hold up to time. Alot of sci-fi movies made at that time look cheesy now.
Great point. For me, a lot of older Sci Fi (or any movies set in the future) don't stand up to the test of time as the special effects that looked futuristic at the time look like crap today and take you out of the movie as they're not believable.

Some people find CGI unbelievable and experience the same thing. However, I'm not among them. I like CGI, find the prequels, I, Robot, etc. too look great and very futuristic. They will stand the test of time much better than older flicks that only had minatures and models to work with.

Thus I have no problem with Lucas touching up the special effects as those changes make the movies better today IMO.
Old 07-29-04, 04:02 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Lame, but it will be like one second of a celebration montage at the end of the movie so it's no big deal.
Old 07-29-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest change the I really mind is the new Jedi Rocks scene in Jedi. But there's really nothing I can do about it but skip that chapter and problem solved. Greedo shooting first is a blink-and-you'll-miss it thing so it was never a big issue for me. I certainly didn't pause the tape and suddenly went, "Wow, it totally changes the Han Solo character. I'm going to look at him differently now. Ok, back to the movie". Wasn't too big on the new ending musical cue because I'm one of about 10 people that liked the "yub yub" Ewok song. It just had a more "tribal" feel to it. As for the new Emperor dialogue in Empire, another thing I don't give a damn about. I'm just happy Star Wars is on DVD.
Old 07-29-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Lame, but it will be like one second of a celebration montage at the end of the movie so it's no big deal.
And pretty much drowned out by the other gungans' cheer and the score. If people weren't aware it was going to be there, they probably wouldn't even hear it. But now your ears ARE going to be tuning in to WJAR2 for about a second there. Still doesn't ruin the movie.
Old 07-29-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that, if no one had mentioned it, you would never have noticed the addition.
Old 07-29-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kal-El
Wasn't too big on the new ending musical cue because I'm one of about 10 people that liked the "yub yub" Ewok song. It just had a more "tribal" feel to it.
I'm pretty much in the same camp. Plus, I felt that it blended better, musically, with the closing credits theme music.

As for the new Emperor dialogue in Empire, another thing I don't give a damn about. I'm just happy Star Wars is on DVD.
I kind of agree, but I would hate to see the opening crawl and the "I'm sure Skywalker is with them" line altered just to make the new line feel consistent. I know these other changes are only rumors, but so was the ghost Anakin head change, and that one proved true.
Old 07-29-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by neiname
Mod note: Threadcrap removed
Mod note: Threadcrap removed

Am I the only one getting annoyed by all these Star Wars threads. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Mod note: I recommend you stop clicking on them then

Last edited by nemein; 07-29-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
"For sci-fi movies, he is helping them hold up to time. Alot of sci-fi movies made at that time look cheesy now. "

Bullshit- should they update special effects in EVERY sci-fi movie so they don't look "cheesy"??? Sometimes that's the whole point of watching a certain movie. The original "King Kong" looks VERY cheesy- let's re-do the special effects in that with the latest technology.
Should they do the same thing with "Saturday Night Fever" and put in more current music and digitally update the clothes everyone wears?
Old 07-29-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alan Smithee
"For sci-fi movies, he is helping them hold up to time. Alot of sci-fi movies made at that time look cheesy now. "

Bullshit- should they update special effects in EVERY sci-fi movie so they don't look "cheesy"??? Sometimes that's the whole point of watching a certain movie. The original "King Kong" looks VERY cheesy- let's re-do the special effects in that with the latest technology.
Should they do the same thing with "Saturday Night Fever" and put in more current music and digitally update the clothes everyone wears?
I never got the point of this argument. That is neither here, nor there. We're not saying let's do it to all movies. I'm sure IF they did do those things to those movies, we'd be having a discussion or two about it. As it stands, this is about Star Wars and the one doing the changes is the creator of the thing. Like it or not, it's happening/already happened. There are those of us who mind a thing or two and can live with the rest while there are some that apparently can't.

Where was the ruckus for the Superman DVD that doesn't contain the original stereo track? How about the mono track for Star Wars? Where's the uproar for the preservation of that?
Old 07-29-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mod note: threadcrap removed
It was one post ouf of 14 other very insightful comments. Move along, don't feed the trolls and everybody will feel a lot better about it.

Last edited by nemein; 07-29-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Where was the ruckus for the Superman DVD that doesn't contain the original stereo track? How about the mono track for Star Wars? Where's the uproar for the preservation of that?
Try and find the original theatrical release Close Encounters. Go ahead, I dare you. Look all you want, it's not going to happen.

How about Blade Runner? Yes, someday 'soon' we will get the original theatrical release. And I'm sure my great grandkids will be able to enjoy this new release - but for the moment, you got nothing but the edited versions.

The long and the short of it is - things change.

As for the "Why dont we update the stop motion in King Kong!" - if King Kong were part of a bigger overall picture and had an uneven look to the rest of the story - then yes, I have no problem with the creator going back and giving things a uniform look.
Old 07-29-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah for every Close Encounters or Blade Runner, I can find 10 movies where the original theaterical release is available. Not a very convincing argument.

As for those 2 specific movies, Close Encounters started getthing chopped up and re-edited for a variety of reasons before it even left its theaterical run (yes, I know SW was re-edited in 79 as well, but they were minor minor changes)

Blade Runner has been caught up in legal hell. It has nothing to do with with the creator wanting both versions to come out.
Old 07-29-04, 05:00 PM
Banned

this is about Star Wars and the one doing the changes is the creator of the thing. Like it or not, it's happening/already happened. There are those of us who mind a thing or two and can live with the rest while there are some that apparently can't.

The ones that can't are called TRUE FANS.
Old 07-29-04, 05:01 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Alan Smithee

Bullshit- should they update special effects in EVERY sci-fi movie so they don't look "cheesy"??? Sometimes that's the whole point of watching a certain movie.
I wouldn't mind if they did, as long as it was the original director making the changes.

I just don't watch many older movies that have a lot of special effects. They just don't hold up, they look like crap and take me out of the movie because they aren't believable.

Maybe I just don't have as strong an ability to suspend disbelief as some.
Old 07-29-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Try and find the original theatrical release Close Encounters. Go ahead, I dare you. Look all you want, it's not going to happen.

How about Blade Runner? Yes, someday 'soon' we will get the original theatrical release. And I'm sure my great grandkids will be able to enjoy this new release - but for the moment, you got nothing but the edited versions.

The long and the short of it is - things change.

As for the "Why dont we update the stop motion in King Kong!" - if King Kong were part of a bigger overall picture and had an uneven look to the rest of the story - then yes, I have no problem with the creator going back and giving things a uniform look.
I agree, and actually that was kinda my point, why everyone's piling their frustration on Star Wars when it's not the only thing out there being re-done. I mean granted it's on a whole different level of "revisionism" but still.
Old 07-29-04, 05:07 PM
Retired

Don't feed the trolls

Just ignore any blatant thread craps were people cross the line from discussing the changes to insulting the defenders or the haters, and use the report this post to a moderator link.

As the mod edited post above illustrates, they will take care of clear cut thread craps.

There's no reason this issue can't be discussed intelligently without people resorting to insults and general rudeness.
Old 07-29-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
The ones that can't are called TRUE FANS.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.