Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice for subwoofer + Speaker package

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to complete our home theatre system so I think I have finally narrowed down my choice for the speakers:

Harmon Kardon HKTS12

or

JBL SCS150SI

or

Polk RM6005 - If I get this, Circuit City has a $ 100 off, if I buy it with the Polk 10" 50-Watt Subwoofer (PLK PSW202BLACK)

The H/K and the JBL both have 150 watt subwoofer. I could pair the 6005 with this subwoofer, Polk 8" 100-Watt Subwoofer (PLK PSW303BLACK) and the price will almost be similar with the H/K or JBL.

My questions are:

Is it worth paying $ 150 more for an upgrade of the subwoofer from 50- watt to 100-watt?

Assuming I went for the Polk RM/6005 and Polk 8" 100-Watt Subwoofer (PLK PSW303BLACK) combination, would this be better than the H/K or the JBL speaker system?

The receiver I am getting is probably the Pioneer VSX-D811S or the Denon 1803. Is the Denon significantly better than the Pioneer?

Thanks to everybody who have helped me with my numerous questions!
Old 03-15-03, 04:41 AM
Cool New Member

Here are a couple of links with some info that may help.
The reviews can be a guide but, as you know, listening to your choices will be the deciding factor.

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...tml?tag=rating
http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...tml?tag=ont-ha

The second link will give you a wealth of info on your speaker choices and what else is out there.

Good luck!

Last edited by cdrakejr; 03-15-03 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-15-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice on the receiver. No contest between the DEnon and the Pioneer; the 1803 will simply sound better, cleaner, louder.

As for speakers, the 'packages' you note have gotten good reviews. If I were buying speakers right now, I would pick up 5 NHT Superzeros from onecall ($67 each), and look around for a good sub to match. Perhaps a used/refurb NHT sub, as they tend to match well with the SZs. The SZs are also quite small yet have a really open, clear sound. They wiull sing with a good high-current amp like the Denon.
Old 03-15-03, 10:07 PM

i definately agree with the super zero's. great little speakers.