Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Paul Auster's best book?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Paul Auster's best book?

Old 12-09-02, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul Auster's best book?

What is your favorite book of this great writer?
Old 12-09-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Probably "City of Glass," or the New York Trilogy (of which "City of Glass" is a part.)

I recommend that people just get "The New York Trilogy" because you get two other novels for a couple dollars more than "City of Glass" would cost.
Old 12-10-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
City of Glass is probably my favorite of his novels, too. I also love Invention of Solitude, which is non-fiction; it's heart-breaking.

DJ
Old 12-11-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
"City Of Glass" would be in my top, but I also really like "Leviathan," a fascinating book about a man who becomes a terrorist, and I really liked his latest, "The Book Of Illusions," it's one of his best yet I think. Great detail about the silent film era, it's about a mysterious silent film star from the 1920s.

I've got all of his books, but those are my favorites. "Timbuktu" is pretty good too, although it was just so sad in the end it almost made me not like it ... but the story was good.
Old 12-12-02, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Trilogy, without any hesitation. There's a graphic comic of this that's interesting... I don't remember who did it, but it's worth checking out if you're a fan of the novels.

For years after reading NYT I had to read everything by Auster and nothing ever lived up to it. My second favorite is City of Last Things.
Old 12-13-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read all of Austers books and have enjoyed them all except for Timbuktu. It's probably too soon to make a judgement, but after finishing Book of Illusions, it has moved to the top of my list. I just started rereading Leviathan to have something to judge it against.

Glad to see there are more Auster fans out there.