Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Games on DVD

Old 03-18-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Games on DVD

Are there really any PC games released on DVD? I can only think of two: Tex Murphy Overseer and the original Baldur's Gate (interplay's website says there's a DVD version, anyway -- I've never seen it).

So -- where's all the software on the big bad DVD format?
Old 03-18-02, 10:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's funny is that I got a DVD drive in my computer back in the day because the word was that soon all software would be shipping on it. I ended up using it to watch movies instead, and the rest is history.

I've barely seen any PC games on DVD, even though the format is being used in the console world now. What boggles the mind is that when CD-ROMS first came out, games would fill several discs. Now, games are much more sophisticated, yet rarely are they more then a disc or two.
Old 03-19-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
What boggles the mind is that when CD-ROMS first came out, games would fill several discs. Now, games are much more sophisticated, yet rarely are they more then a disc or two.
What early CD games used more than one disk? When CD-ROMs first came out, most games were also available on floppy, and would easily fit on a single CD. It could just be my memory, but what games were this large?
Old 03-19-02, 08:08 AM

Tons of games were on multiple cd's ie: The Seventh Guest, phantasmagoria, myst, Police Quest Swat, Under a Killing Moon... the list goes on and on. All of those games were FMV and that takes up a lot of space, games today look better than FMV and are all realtime 3d, so thats why the smaller game size. Latley though I've been seeing a lot more two disk games (Medal of Honour, RTCW) So I'd love for them to start using dvd-rom a little more.
Old 03-19-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember phantasmagoria having like 7 or 8 discs, and most of the content was the same on most of the discs.

Goblincat is right, when CD-ROMs were brand new, not many games or apps used the whole available space. But it didn't take them long to fix that little oversight, and we were hit with the bloat that Thrilho mentions when everyone tried to do FMV -- remember wing commanders 3 and 4? Movie or Game? who knows.

It's taking the industry a lot longer to embrace DVD as a data medium, even though you'd probably be hard-pressed to find a new PC selling without a DVD-ROM drive, and replacement drives aren't much more expensive than CD-ROMs.

I only recently put a DVD-ROM in my machine, and it was less than $50.
Old 03-19-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
BG did have a dvd version, it reguired a person to mail in their cds and Interplay would send them a dvd

I can understand not making games only on dvd, but I think the option should be there for any game on 2 or more cds

I do like the new smaller boxes the industry is using though
Old 03-19-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
BG did have a dvd version, it reguired a person to mail in their cds and Interplay would send them a dvd

I can understand not making games only on dvd, but I think the option should be there for any game on 2 or more cds

I do like the new smaller boxes the industry is using though
Maybe the next step is actually putting the games on DVD, eliminating the box entirely, and selling them in keepcases -- it's not like many games these days come with anything more than a quick reference card and a little install manual! Anyway, you could fit a moderately decent manual into a keep case. Maybe not if you're releasing Empire Earth, but, you get the idea...
Old 03-19-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have these on DVD-ROM:

Baldur's Gate
Dark Side of the Moon
Zork: Grand Inquisitor

Other titles on DVD-ROM

Wing Commander IV
Civilization: Call to Power
Tex Murphy: Overseer

...and a bunch of others I don't recall
Old 03-19-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
I have these on DVD-ROM:

Baldur's Gate
Dark Side of the Moon
Zork: Grand Inquisitor

Other titles on DVD-ROM

Wing Commander IV
Civilization: Call to Power
Tex Murphy: Overseer

...and a bunch of others I don't recall
Where did you get them, and do you see them often in retail stores? Each of these games is moderately old -- where are the new games on DVD?
Old 03-19-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Pretty sure you could preorder the SE of Diablo 2 on DVD but that may have just been the cinematics. I can't remember.

Also, there was a SS Titanic game written in part by Douglas Adams on DVD. That's only a few years old. Supposed to be pretty funny too.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-19-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the collectors edition had the cinematics on dvd and the game was on 3 cds

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Pretty sure you could preorder the SE of Diablo 2 on DVD but that may have just been the cinematics. I can't remember.

Also, there was a SS Titanic game written in part by Douglas Adams on DVD. That's only a few years old. Supposed to be pretty funny too.

Tuan Jim

Last edited by mikehunt; 03-19-02 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-19-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't there a PC version of Dragon's Lair on DVD?