Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Old 03-02-02, 01:23 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I have a friend who was hanging on for dear life to being a fan of KISS. Then I played him the interview of Gene Simmons by Terri Gross on NPR...it was so demeaning and condescending that he swore off of Kiss.
What did he say that was so bad?

-David
Old 03-02-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Gene was just REALLY obnoxious in that interview. He was crude and crass, and showed NO class at all. He even said something to the effect that the woman doing the interview should spread her legs for him! (She's a journalist, Gene, NOT a groupie...)

He was pretty bad in the late 70's, fairly obnoxious in the 80's once KISS made their comeback with Lick It Up and Animalize, but he toned it down a bit when they did Revenge. He was actually pretty cool around that period.

But once they had the huge success with the Reunion he became insufferably egotistical and obnoxious. That interview was just the latest, and most glaring, example.

I'm still a fan of the BAND, but I can't stand Gene as a person. If I met him I wouldn't give him the time of day.

It's a shame that he didn't learn ANYTHING about how to treat people from the late, great Eric Carr. Eric always treated people with respect and was a really nice guy - and that even though he spent 10+ years as KISS' drummer and being around Gene all the time.

Bruce Kulick is a pretty nice guy, too, and his solo album Audiodog is better than anything KISS has done since Revenge (you can get it through www.kulick.net ).
Old 03-02-02, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more I think about it...Gene is my idol...
4,500 women..women love the tounge...and for some reason women want him...

What more could a man ask for?

oh..PLUS..he is RICH $$$$$$$
Old 03-02-02, 01:09 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by B5Erik
Gene was just REALLY obnoxious in that interview. ....
Thanks for the summary. Too bad he seems to be so full of himself.

-David
Old 03-02-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never could see what the big deal about KISS was anyway - they always seemed like just a big glam band with square pop-rock songs. Is there more to them than that?
Old 03-02-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

If a band members personal politics make you dislike a band, then Id say you really werent a fan to begin with.
I like them for their music and show...I could care less what Gene says or does..
FYI, it was not his politics, it was his complete disdain for music. Basically, he said that the only reason the band was around was to make money. He also, made a total ass of himself by treating the interviewer, and every other woman for that matter, like dirt. He also tried to prove he has a vocabulary, but instead, showed exactly how to mangle the English language.

If you want to hear him be a complete idiot, listen for yourself http://sorta.stamen.com/mp3/GeneSimmonsNPR.mp3 (25mb).

I guess I tend to look a little deeper into music, movies, politics, etc. than to simply say "I am a fan" just because someone puts on a good show. Wayne Newton puts on a good show, and I couldn't care less about him.

And I don't automatically like someone because they are rich or can get girls. If getting chicks is your sole purpose in life, I find that to be sad and empty. Donald Trump has money and gets girls.....is he your idol too?
Old 03-02-02, 09:47 PM

FYI, it was not his politics, it was his complete disdain for music. Basically, he said that the only reason the band was around was to make money.
Atleast he is honest! If anyone tells you they arent in the music biz for the money or girls..they are lying. If thats true...than do it for free. Charge your fans at the shows price for the CD..put on cheaper shows.

I guess I tend to look a little deeper into music, movies, politics, etc. than to simply say "I am a fan" just because someone puts on a good show. Wayne Newton puts on a good show, and I couldn't care less about him.
A person or a bands personal politics and beliefs is non of my business. If I like it, I like it..If I dont, I dont. Whatever. If a band brings up their belief on abortion in their music and I dont agree, I wont listen. If its not in their music, I dont mind. Gene is very open about loving women and money and sometimes includes it in his music..well, I love money and women so it doesnt bother me one bit.

And I don't automatically like someone because they are rich or can get girls. If getting chicks is your sole purpose in life, I find that to be sad and empty. Donald Trump has money and gets girls.....is he your idol too?
Hell Yeah Donald Trump is my idol..I wish i had his money.
If anyone sits and says that women and money dont matter..they are flat out either liars or gay.
My sole purpose isnt women..but its a damn huge part of it!

(fixed quote and bold vBB tags -Blade)
Old 03-02-02, 09:48 PM

I screwed up all the quotes etc..in that last post...sorry.
Old 03-02-02, 10:22 PM
Uber Member

Fixed the quotes problem. You had / in both your beginning and ending codes. That only goes in the end code.

If you want to hear him be a complete idiot, listen for yourself http://sorta.stamen.com/mp3/GeneSimmonsNPR.mp3 (25mb).
Thanks, but the summaries were fine.
Old 03-03-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ziggy
I never could see what the big deal about KISS was anyway - they always seemed like just a big glam band with square pop-rock songs. Is there more to them than that?
Actually, yes. Back in the beginning KISS was America's answer to all of the British Rock bands like the Stones, the Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, etc. They took those musical styles, combined them with the power of Black Sabbath, and the over the top stylings of Alice Cooper and wrote some great songs.

Once the success hit, the band lost some of their focus. They dabbled in Power Pop (Dynasty and Unmasked), a "progressive" concept album (The Elder), and 80's Pop-Metal (Crazy Nights).

They even did a dark, moody, Alice In Chains meets the Beatles meets Black Sabbath album in Carnival Of Souls back in 1995 (released in 1997). Great album.

But they are at their best doing straightforward Hard Rock that occasionally crosses over into Metal territory.

Of course, there's also their great stage shows too.
Old 03-03-02, 12:45 AM
Uber Member

I found Kiss when I was about 7 or 8. To me, the makeup looked cool and their music was a lot of fun. And the album covers looked great. And they put this little paper "gun" in their Love Gun album that "shot" something when you made a downward chopping motion with it.

Gene Simmons spit up blood, Ace Freley had a smoking guitar. They had songs that were longer than 3 minutes. Just a lot of fun stuff.

I used to sing along with King of the Night Time World and a bunch of their other stuff.

I haven't listened to them in years, and don't remember a lot of their stuff, but for me, Kiss was always a combination of great showmanship and great music.

Not a real serious answer...just one for the nostalgia vote.

-David
Old 03-03-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by B5Erik

Actually, yes. Back in the beginning KISS was America's answer to all of the British Rock bands like the Stones, the Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, etc. They took those musical styles, combined them with the power of Black Sabbath, and the over the top stylings of Alice Cooper and wrote some great songs.

Once the success hit, the band lost some of their focus. They dabbled in Power Pop (Dynasty and Unmasked), a "progressive" concept album (The Elder), and 80's Pop-Metal (Crazy Nights).

They even did a dark, moody, Alice In Chains meets the Beatles meets Black Sabbath album in Carnival Of Souls back in 1995 (released in 1997). Great album.

But they are at their best doing straightforward Hard Rock that occasionally crosses over into Metal territory.

Of course, there's also their great stage shows too.

I'm still not sold - all of the songs I've ever heard from them have sounded like square pop songs - but I'm willing to admit that I haven't heard all that much - what would you say is their best - or just one of their best - songs?
Old 03-03-02, 01:15 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

Best of luck to you and your life of fulfillment. Never question....just follow...you will go far.
Old 03-03-02, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ziggy

I'm still not sold - all of the songs I've ever heard from them have sounded like square pop songs - but I'm willing to admit that I haven't heard all that much - what would you say is their best - or just one of their best - songs?
Now, by square, I'm assuming you mean very stiff and structured - and fairly simple in nature. That is definitely part of the KISS sound, but only part of it - it's kind of deceptive.

Check out songs like "Cold Gin," "Deuce," "100,000 Years," and "Watchin' You" as examples of songs that aren't so stiff in structure. "Goin' Blind" is another song that is very creative and pushes the boundaries for the band, but that is just a one-off.

They dabbled in both Power Pop and progressive music in the late 70s & early 80's, but went back to Hard Rock after that. Nothing wrong with that - they did it well.

Of their later stuff check out "Jungle," "I Confess," "Hate," "In The Mirror," and "Master and Slave" from the Carnival Of Souls album to get a sense of what they are capable of. Hell, check out that entire album.

KISS is a very multi-faceted band musically, and it's really hard to pigeon-hole them based on their radio hits because that's just one part of their sound. A BIG part, but they do throw lots of other stuff in there as well. That's not really surprising since their biggest influences were bands like The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, and The Move - and all of those bands were very multi-faceted as well.

Now none of this means that you'll necessarily like them, but at least you'll get a better idea of what the band is really all about musically.

Last edited by B5Erik; 03-03-02 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-05-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by benedict
at least they didn't play "I Was Made for Loving You"!!

<small>It annoys me that Black Sabbath are always expected to play Paranoid when they have other, better songs that could impress new listeners.</small>

a very cool song live!!!!!!
Old 04-23-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Proud, embarrassed, or not a big deal and would you eat there?

The KISS frontman is now getting into the restaurant biz. He and bandmate Gene Simmons will co-host this weekend’s opening of Rock & Brews in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico. There are plans for 50-plus locations in North America, possibly Miami.

So taking on the restaurant business now?

Absolutely, man. Obviously for me to get involved in something worthwhile is important. I’m not out there selling liquid, soap or detergents. The idea when I got involved was that I was never going to be in the back seat. I have a pizza oven at home, I grow my own produce, so I know a lot about what we are doing.

Is KISS ever going to show up and play?

There is no live music. You can see the lyrics on the screens so you can pick up the words you’ve never heard before [laug
http://www.kissonline.com/news/article/id/36338

Old 04-23-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Eleven years since this thread started, and nothing has changed with these guys...
Old 04-23-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I was supposed to go to Rock N Brews in El Segundo, but I got a case of the shits a few days before and was not well enough to go. They have a decent looking menu and serve up some pretty stellar craft brews. The Yelp reviews that I've read have been somewhat negative mostly due to staff's lack of expertise about the craft beers that they're selling. Good thing I know my shit and never let wait staff recommend anything to me when it comes to craft beer.

I also listened to some of the Frank and Heidi podcast a few weeks ago when Gene was a guest promoting the restaurants and Frank asked him if he ever eats any of the food at the restaurant. Gene replied with "Are you kidding me?" Something to the effect of he'd blow up even more if he were to eat that kind of food.
Old 04-24-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing is more rock and roll than producing gluten-free pizza.

I wonder how long will it last before they go out of business?
Old 04-24-13, 01:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, Kiss certainly isn't the first rock band to get into the restaurant biz.
Old 04-24-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know if it has been mentioned here or elsewhere, but they also have a Kiss Coffeehouse. I've walked past it while in Myrtle Beach a few times as it's located at a large shopping center, but never been in it.
Old 04-24-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Since Gene supposedly doesn't drink he's probably not much better at recommending a beer than the wait staff.
Seriously, it's a good thing (or maybe bad?) they made some serious dough off their first few albums. It gave them the capital to try making money on all these other things....coffins, coffee, restaurants, dolls, movies, etc.
Old 08-16-13, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What about calling them the LA Gods of Thunder or would that tick people off?

Once again KISS has no shame when it comes to marketing.

On Thursday, the Arena Football League announced it was awarding an expansion team to a group of individuals that includes KISS band members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. The team, called the LA KISS, will begin playing in March at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

"As a fast-paced, high-action band, this partnership with the AFL was an obvious fit for us," Simmons said in a statement. "Attending an LA KISS game in 2014 will be similar to a live KISS show, with thrilling, heart-pounding action."

Season tickets, which went on sale Thursday starting at $99, will include a free KISS concert.

While the team will use the band's logo, it is not known whether the team's uniforms will be silver and black.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/s...sion-franchise

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0hzEoeYQYHA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 08-16-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

The guy on the left looks thrilled.
Old 08-16-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

That's one of the lamest things I've ever seen.

I can't believe people still watch arena football. Even worse, I can't believe people still listen to KISS.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.