Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Help, I just found out someone at half didn't get my order 11/01

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-15-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

I have not been selling on half since befoer the holidays, I was looking at my feedback and was surprised to find someone never recived the package I sent them back in november. Half.com and the buyer have made no attempt to contact me and I can't find a customer service email/number on half.com.

On the one hand the person strikes me as stupid for not getting in touch with me ( I have two items listed and have had them on there for a year( VHS blah) so my account would not look active.)

But I want to get the 1/5 off of my raiting, I did ship the item so I'm at a loss as to what to do. If the person is willing to remove the negative feedback I'll be happy to send a refund, but I don't want to eat the loss and have the 1/5 on me.

Thoughs suggestions or ways to contact the buyer?
Old 02-15-02, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a receipt showing you shipped the item? I had one 1/5 rating last year when the buyer did not receive the DVD I sent. I don't think there was any way for the buyer to contact me at Half.com, so he left 1/5 rating with comments. Looking through the transaction records, I found the buyer's name and address. I sent him a letter with a copy of USPS receipt showing I did send the DVD the day after his order (the proof was day and zip code on the receipt). I advised him to contact Half.com for a refund. If Half.com didn't respond, contact me and I would be glad to send him a refund. I also asked him nicely that if possible, please revise the rating if he thought my response/service was acceptable. He changed the rating to 5/5 and commented 'Althogh the DVD was never received, the seller....'. Hope your buyer is as nice as mine... Good luck.
Old 02-15-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
Well, my wife never recieved an order she placed with half, the process is slow and painful but she eventually got a resonse from the buyer. The confirmation order screen offers a way to report a probl;em to the seller but thats gone now.

I doubt I have a recipt with the zip as the PO I use is bassackward and only offers hand printed recipts.

Any other thoughts?
Old 02-22-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argh. A buyer just contacted me through half.com saying he didn't receive the book I sent. Thing is just last week I went through and discarded a bunch of my old post office receipts.
Old 02-22-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by ellone
Argh. A buyer just contacted me through half.com saying he didn't receive the book I sent. Thing is just last week I went through and discarded a bunch of my old post office receipts.
that sucks....if you have a high feedback rating, you should just refund the guy the money, or send him another one (unless it was a real expensive book). Most people are nice enough to leave you good feedback, even if they never get the item, as long as
a)they get their money back
b)you treat them nicely and in a timely manner
Old 02-22-02, 10:08 PM

jpcamb: My first advice would be to email Half.com; the address is [email protected]. I had a problem similar to yours just this week (a buyer gave me a 1/5 feedback rating, claiming never to have received a DVD I shipped three months ago). Like you, I had received no previous communication from either the buyer or Half.com, so I wrote Half and asked whether the buyer had contacted them about the problem. I mentioned that I was willing to work toward a solution, but didn't know what to do since I had indeed mailed the DVD the day after receiving the order. I received a very nice response from a customer service rep, stating that the negative feedback had been removed, and that I was not at fault since the buyer had made no attempt to contact me and had waited more than 90 days before complaining. (I believe the Help section on Half.com's site mentions a time frame within which they must be contacted regarding order problems...60 days, perhaps?)

Of course, you can also try sending a letter to the buyer. I had one other problem a while back regarding an unreceived item, so I wrote the buyer and explained the situation. Like yiinhc, I had a very nice buyer in this case, and she and I were able to work with Half.com to get her a refund for the lost item (and to get my seller rating restored).

It really helps in situations like this to have some sort of proof that you did indeed send the item in question. If you are shipping via Media Mail or Priority Mail, you can get Delivery Confirmation (you're given a receipt with a tracking number) for 40-50 cents extra. If you're shipping regular 1st Class mail, ask for a Certificate of Mailing (75 cents, I believe); it includes your address, the buyer's address, and a postmark, so you have proof of when you mailed the item.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 02-23-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had/have a similar problem with a buyer. A 2/5 rating mysteriously appeared on my feedback rating for a book I sold over 3 months ago. There is no comment, I've never been contacted by half or the buyer. In usual fashion half.com hasn't/won't/will never do anything about it.

Once the ebay/half feedback merger happens hopefully I'll be able to leave a comment that I have no idea how this person arrived at this rating.
Old 02-23-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Half.com won't remove the feedback even if you prove it was unjustified. Someone left a completely bogus 1/5 on me and Half.com said it was there policy not to interfere with ratings.

I think I read a few weeks ago that Half.com was going to institute a 'rebuttal' feature similar to ebay, so you can give your side of the story.

As far as having to refund him, I believe the buyer only has 30 days after the end of the sale to complain about not receiving an item. After that he's out of luck.
Old 02-23-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Jeraden
As far as having to refund him, I believe the buyer only has 30 days after the end of the sale to complain about not receiving an item. After that he's out of luck.
I'm pretty sure it's 60 days (since you can't write a complaint until 3 weeks or so afterwards)
Old 02-24-02, 03:29 PM
Defunct Account

You are pretty much SOL. I sold a DVD to someone that was still sealed, and they left me a 1/5 saying that the DVD was used and in bad condition. The guy never contacted me. Half wouldn't do squat.
Old 02-24-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Somebody on half.com left me 1/5 feedback saying "ooops"...wtf is up with that?

really lowered my feedback, because although I've sold over 50 items only 3 people left me feedback.