Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Help With Deck Problem?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-03-02, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you experts out there....check out this one....!

I have a semi serious problem with my DVD deck & it's getting progressivley worse!

My 4-5 year old PROSCAN DVD player is having major problems reading the disc...
When I close the tray with a DVD in it it says NO DISK. I have to repeatedly open/close, open/close, open/close, power off & on, open/close, unplug (in hopes it will re-set itself) a dozen or so times... each time it just keeps reading NO DISC.
Sometimes it take 5 mins, & lately 10 mins of this before it finally starts to spin the disc & it reads & works. Once it reads the first disc, I can play 'em back to back with no problem. Then next day, back to square one again. Yesterday I purchased the DISCWASHER DVD lens cleaner (I don't buy any of those products as I usually think they are worthless & un-necessarry) GUESS WHAT???? It did not solve my problem.

I am very close to saying screw it & go buy a new deck but I wonder if it's something fixable or not. This deck plays everydisc I've ever put into it without fail & I paid $500 for it back during the fist DVD wave so it chaffs my ass to replace it unless I have to.

ANY FEEDBACK FOLKS????
Old 01-03-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It may be that the lens is out of alignment or the laser is failing. Assuming that the discs are clean and play in other players, you may want to look into getting a new machine. You paid alot a long time ago but the newer machines are better for less money.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-02, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump, c'mon guys

the discs are pristine....

do lasers fail after a few years...that would be great for sales if you had to buy a new deck every 4 years!!!

Old 01-03-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
do lasers fail after a few years...that would be great for sales if you had to buy a new deck every 4 years!!!
My oldesst CD player is still working after 16 years. I have never heard of a laser failing although I am sure it is possible.