DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Driven

Old 09-19-01, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driven rocks!

I gotta hand it to the WB on Driven. The disc looks and sounds pretty good, and the extras are damn nice (although I don't think there is enough of them...). Then again, I could be biased because I'm an F1 fan and I loved this movie, as "unrealistic" as the crashes are...

Anyone else pick this up?

and by the way...how about a moment of silence for alex zanardi...
Old 09-19-01, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I got it. Loved it. Will watch it again soon.

J.Gershon was hoooooottttttt!!!
Old 09-19-01, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the film this past weekend, and I was impressed with the disc - the movie was pretty decent to boot And those deleted scenes run forever, but actually do give more insight into the characters - definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of the film.
Old 09-19-01, 10:17 AM

Re: Driven

I had the 'time' to watch Driven on my system. The picture and sound are excellent, but the movie, well lets just say that was nice to watch visually and leave it at that.

Perhaps next time they can get actors that 'really' know how to act....in my opinion everyone in that movie sorta was 'out of place' and did not feel right for the parts.

Everyone seems 'distant' and cold, when-ever someone would get into trouble, or worse, I would think 'ok whats next' the film did not grip me.

As to the crashes, well next time I watch an F1 / or Cart race, I will remember to bring my pilots license, there was more flying in this movie then top-gun....come on this is not crashes. If someone in reallife crashed the way they did in this movie, the race would be stoped.

Also driving Cart cars through city streets that are not preped for smoothness, the cars would of been almost unusable on these surfaces. They would also not cause bus booths to explode when then drive by. The cars do have 'excessive downforce' and yes could drive upsidedown on say a large ceiling once they come up to speed but would not do what is depicted in the movie...

but then again it is a movie...and I should not over-guess it.

I love film, all types of film, and was excited to get the dvd of this film as I did not go to the cinema to see it because of the bad press and thought I would wait for the dvd, I am glad I waited.

out of 10 ..I give the movie a 4 for story, and 6 for enjoyment.

- Charles
Old 09-19-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Driven

Originally posted by strfire

Also driving Cart cars through city streets that are not preped for smoothness, the cars would of been almost unusable on these surfaces. They would also not cause bus booths to explode when then drive by. The cars do have 'excessive downforce' and yes could drive upsidedown on say a large ceiling once they come up to speed but would not do what is depicted in the movie...

- Charles
I actually got to see them film the part where they race on the street, it was pretty cool.

That scene takes plave on University Ave in Toronto.
Old 10-01-01, 11:07 AM
Cool New Member

"Driven" is garbage

I wish I could get back the time I wasted watching this movie last night.

Go get "Days of Thunder" and "Top Gun" for examples of how this genre can work (after all, "Driven" is just "Days of Thunder" in different cars...anyone else notice that?).

I have to give credit to Stallone for recognizing exactly where his limits are; it's best that he not stretch too far past the half-retarded boxer or the emotionally-scarred Viet Nam vet molds, but this screenplay was a travesty.

Estella Warren?! Please. Would SOMEONE in Hollywood PLEASE get up the guts to tell her agent to dump her?

The affair between Sly and that "reporter" was one of the most cliched, patronizing pieces of pap I've ever seen foisted on the moviegoing public. And anyone who saw "Bound" is going to fricking WEEP when they see Gina Gershon in this movie, as undeniably hot as she is.

The directing and cinematography were almost criminally poor. Nearly everything shot off the track was infused with this terrible hand-held, fast-cut nonsense that was totally ineffective. And, miraculously, the on-track stuff--including the silly CGI work--actually seemed to water down the excitment of the races...incredible job, guys!

Maybe the saddest commentary of all is that my GF rented this movie just for a little mindless entertainment; what became quickly apparent is that there's a not-so-fine line between mindless and insulting. The movie never should've been made.
Old 10-08-01, 10:54 AM

I went and bought this and I am now going to sell it. I watched it and I thought it was BAD!

I really thought the character development was horrible in this movie. The lady who plays Sly's gf (the reporter) seems to just disappear half way through the movie and then re-appear at the end. Goofy!

Also, also some action scenes were cool....The crashes simply defied physics in every way. I am all for cool and exciting crashes but this was just way overdone in this movie. Yeah cars can go air born but for god sakes they dont fly miles like a jet fighter plane.

Someone mentioned how the extras showed more character development....That is so true. I would have liked to see them in the movie....Leaving them on the cutting room floor was a bad idea.
Old 10-17-01, 11:16 AM

What is wrong with Gina??? I ned to know!!!