Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Six Feet Under - The Complete Series (10/31/2006)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Six Feet Under - The Complete Series (10/31/2006)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A bigger pic:

http://www.davisdvd.com/images/cover...xfeetunder.jpg

Not sure what to think of that
Old 08-02-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually prefer the Region 2 packaging.... don't like that grass thing at all. Oh well... I might still get this anyway since i don't own any of the seasons and really like this show after renting the first season.
Old 08-02-06, 11:36 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the Region 2 art a bit more, myself, but that still won't stop me from buying this. I've been selling my season sets off to my friend (he's purchased the First Season from me thus far, but he is also borrowing the Second Season at the moment,) and I'm going to put most of the money away for this set. I can't wait to get it.
Old 08-02-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
I think the packaging fits the series rather well.
Old 08-03-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man... I couldn't be more excited. I was THIS close to buying the season sets seperately, I've been telling myself for the past year HBO would be crazy NOT to release this complete set. Now my prayers are answered. I will welcome this set into my home like a new child.

My favorite of anything in any form of media. Television, book, film, music, radio... anything. Simply a divine and brilliant show.

Thank you thank you thank you!

I'll be singing this for the next few months till it's finally in my hands, then i'll probably sing it some more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzeAlXfFOl8 (no spoilers)

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 08-03-06 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 03:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just finished watching the Fith Season a couple of months ago, but I'm thinking about possibly rewatching the show once this set comes out. I love it and I wish I could experience its "amazingness" for the first time again.
Old 08-03-06, 01:24 PM
Banned

As I said before, I only had season 1 so I don't feel too burned about this double-dip but this practice will prevent me from buying most other HBO shows in the future in anticipation of the inevitable "complete series". I've been considering "The Sopranos", "Deadwood" and "Carnivale" but now I'll wait, and I won't be buying "Big Love" until a complete box comes, either.

The only one I'll still buy is "Curb Your Enthusiasm". I picked up season 5 yesterday and am currently "complete" until a sixth season is announced or an official announcement is made that the show isn't coming back, though I don't know if I'd unload all my old discs if a complete set was released or if I'd just hang on to what I have.

The only other HBO show I own is "Mr. Show" and luckily in that case HBO didn't do anything special with the "complete series" box. It's just the three releases I have in a bigger box. Hopefully the inevitable "Curb" box set will be similar in that respect.
Old 08-03-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
As I said before, I only had season 1 so I don't feel too burned about this double-dip but this practice will prevent me from buying most other HBO shows in the future in anticipation of the inevitable "complete series". I've been considering "The Sopranos", "Deadwood" and "Carnivale" but now I'll wait, and I won't be buying "Big Love" until a complete box comes, either.
Certainly a reasonable approach.

Although, I think you're probably pretty safe buying Carnivale.

I think the few that they put out last year at the holidays (Friends, Buffy, Sex&City) sold quite well... so now we're seeing an increase this year (Homicide, West Wing, Alias, Twilight Zone, SFU, Friends double-dip, etc.) We'll probably see a few more announced too. (I was certainly expecting to see Angel and X-Files this year). If these sell well, I think we can expect a flood of 'complete series' sets to hit in 2007 as studios look to continue revenue generation with little new product to release.

I suppose the next step after that is HD sets.
Old 08-03-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Six Feet Under is one of my favorite shows of all time, and I own all the sets sold separately. I think the packaging of the individual sets (even the oversized first season) are very handsome, so I see no reason to buy it again for packaging. It's nice for people who don't own them yet, though.
Old 08-03-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
[...] I think the few that they put out last year at the holidays (Friends, Buffy, Sex&City) sold quite well... so now we're seeing an increase this year (Homicide, West Wing, Alias, Twilight Zone, SFU, Friends double-dip, etc.) We'll probably see a few more announced too. (I was certainly expecting to see Angel and X-Files this year). If these sell well, I think we can expect a flood of 'complete series' sets to hit in 2007 as studios look to continue revenue generation with little new product to release.[...]
I notice that Reuter's just wrote up one of those trend/fad feature stories on the subject--complete box series sets... Nothing any of us isn't likely to know already...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060803/film_nm/video_dc_2

...but it's evidence that it's a big trend at the moment... (Or alternately, that it's a fad that's already peaked once the lamest parts of the media have finally noticed it... )
Old 08-03-06, 05:56 PM

I'm really digging that Grass covered box. I only hope that it is fuzzy. That would be awesome.
Old 08-03-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 720 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
However I rather wait for an HD DVD version.
Yeah, I thought about that. I know the first season was 4:3 and I am thinking the second season was as well (it's been awhile). Wonder how that would affect a HD set?

I love the packaging. I will likely pick this up depending on price. At least you know with it being an HBO release, the price won't drastically go down just a few months later like most dvds do. I guess that can be seen as a good or bad thing.
Old 08-04-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That packaging is really nice actually...but I will not drop the cash on it. Nice though.
Old 08-04-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grass covered? Yeah, THAT'S what I need; yet one MORE expensive collectable item that'll attract my cats' attention.

No matter how high I put this on any shelf, it's guaranteed that one day I'll come home from work to find it lying on the floor chewed to shreds.

I'll stick with the individual sets, thankyouverymuch.

Unless it includes a lifesize poster of Clair inside.
Old 08-04-06, 02:15 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Sorry to hear that your cats go after your stuff. I've never had any problems with my cats going after things. Well, except for wires. We've currently got four.
Old 08-28-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I'm little annoyed...my local Best Buy put the sets on sale (dirt cheap) when s5 came out, so I got all of them. Now this...good thing I didn't buy the Sopranos...but i might have fucked myself with the Wire, Oz, and Deadwood. Oh well, lesson learned for future releases.
Old 11-12-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just an update for everyone.

As you all may have noticed, the box-set was pushed back, but no more! It'll be coming out this Tuesday (11/14). Check your local Best Buy ads and you will see it availible for sale at a $179.99 price point.

I got a look at the packaging while at work yesterday and it is niceeee. It's a heavy, sturdy package, the grassy part on top is sort of like the fake grass on a football field (I would take a can of air to it though and spray, there were some grass particles left on my fingers and on the package), and the gravestone on top looks and feels like the stuff the Gollum figurine from the LOTR deluxe package is made of.

It looks like it pulls out from the front. I'll see if I can get a picture or two today.
Old 11-12-06, 01:41 PM
Banned

According to Gord's review of the set at tsod the seasons are packaged in their inner packages from the individual releases inside alongside the book that houses the two soundtrack CD's.

I can't wait, I watched all 5 seasons on TV but never bought anything after Season 1 due to the high prices. Right around the time this was announced I was considering Seasons 2-5 (I had always planned on getting them but I was close to making the investment) and then I realized that this would be cheaper and I sold my Season 1 which made it even easier.

My Amazon order is in the "shipping soon" phase and my card has been charged (ouch) but it's coming soon.
Old 11-12-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait to pick this up, it is my #1 request for an xmas gift. I was going to buy it myself, but the wife told me to hold off because she never knows what to get me for xmas. I, too, bought only the first season individually, and now I'm glad.
Old 11-14-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone post pics of the "guts" of this set? All I've seen is the outside.
Old 11-14-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wouldn't you know it? The release date gets pushed back to fall in line with the DDD 20% off sale. Awesome.
Old 11-14-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just picked it up!

Here are the pics everyone is dying for.

The only problem with the set was the spine of the In Memorium book, one of the staples was loose.

The seasons are cased inside their original inner packages. And that's all she wrote. Great package.
Old 11-14-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for posting the pics. Because these are all in their original inner packages, it wouldn't be too difficult for HBO to offer fans who picked up all the seasons an opportunity to purchase a box for their own collection -- á la "Friends: The Box with All Ten Seasons." But since I own them all, including the soundtracks, I don't see any reason to get this.
Old 11-14-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know why I didn't notice that the inner packages for all the seasons are the same size until now. I had just figured that the S1 package would have been larger due to its external packaging's size.

I agree with the sentiment that the external box of this new set should be made available for purchase. Oh well.
Old 11-14-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd definately buy the box if they sold it. And they couldn include the bonus disk or book with it. I'd drop $20 for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.