Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mexican (2001) - Japan release?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 12-03-16, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed there's a 1.78 aspect release in Japan. Can anyone speak for PQ? I really wish someone would keep better track of all these unique transfers available around the world. blu-ray.com is useless unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Browsing the database sucks ass since there's a dozen different releases of every movie because of packaging changes, and I just want to know what's available, where, and if there's a distinct difference in the disc itself.
Old 12-03-16, 07:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Mexican (2001) - Japan release?

Well the movie is 2.35, so the Japan release has the incorrect aspect ratio. So just curious, but why the draw for this one?
Old 12-03-16, 08:18 PM
Banned

It's not something I would seek out an open matte release of, but I saw it and figured why not? I need to import it either way. The German release is OAR, but I like Amazon Japan because they offer fast shipping at a sane price point. I'd gladly pay 10x the blu-ray price of certain movies for an open matte release, specifically the ones shot in bullshit Super35 like Collateral. I absolutely hate that camera/filming style. You'd think with 4K we'd eventually get the option of watching the full frames instead of the cropped 2.35/2.40 shit. There has been evidence of this cropping on the widescreen versions since the screenshots showing the difference between fullscreen and widescreen versions of Terminator 2.
Old 12-09-16, 10:17 PM
Banned

Whoever reported that the Japanese release of The Mexican was 1.78 needs bitch slapped. It's not. I'm not real impressed with the video quality either. I wonder if anyone has put up screen caps of the German one.