Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-03-07, 11:01 PM   #1
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

Can you drink milk past its expiration date?

I always ask myself this question as I throw away milk the day after it expires. Is it safe to drink afterwards? If so, for how many days? A couple? Four? A week seems like too much. I'm sure I wouldn't get sick by drinking a day after it expires but always wondered how many more days of life it has.
Old 11-03-07, 11:05 PM   #2
Al Padrino
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe, but when it comes to any kind of dairy product, I don't mess with expiration dates.
Old 11-03-07, 11:25 PM   #3
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
yes but sniff it first and take a small sip before really starting to drink it
helps if the fridge is kept really cold
Old 11-03-07, 11:28 PM   #4
criptik28
DVD Talk Legend

I also use the "sniff" test.

But after a couple of days, I get scared and just toss the damn thing.
Old 11-03-07, 11:34 PM   #5
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

It won't hurt you to drink clabbered milk. It just tastes really nasty.

You can cook with it though! It's great to use in chocolate cake.
Old 11-03-07, 11:46 PM   #6
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Since it can be sold through its "expiration" date it should be good for about a week after. But I'd smell it.
Old 11-03-07, 11:48 PM   #7
jonnyquest

I'll drink it past the date, as long as it doesn't smell or taste weird. A few days over is pretty normal; even a week sometimes. Some brands tend to keep longer than others. Also whole milk vs. skim, 2%, etc. seem to have different amounts of extended life.
Old 11-03-07, 11:49 PM   #8
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Expiration dates are made based on the idea that conditions will not be ideal. So in good siutations, the milk lasts longer than the date.

The sniff test is the best way to tell.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-04-07, 12:03 AM   #9
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Live on the edge and drink it.
Old 11-04-07, 12:45 AM   #10
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I've been burned one too many times. After the date, I leave it up to the girlfriend to drink it or toss it, I won't touch it.
Old 11-04-07, 01:16 AM   #11
CKMorpheus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't really even know what it smells like before the date. I don't know if it's in my head, but I usually throw it out after Day +2 because I can taste its nastiness.

My Countdown Counting down to: Wedding Bells
Adrienne: "I do!" Andrew: "I do!"
Old 11-04-07, 01:20 AM   #12
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

I use it until it smells bad. I only use milk for cereal and cooking, so I'm very often throwing out spoiled milk.
Old 11-04-07, 02:31 AM   #13
Franchot
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having worked in a dairy, I learned that there is a sell by date stamped on the carton which tells a supermarket when is the last day it can be sold. Providing it is properly refrigerated, the milk will retain its freshness and nutrients for seven days past the sell by date. You can always drink past that date, but there is no guarantee that the milk will be as nutrient-rich or fresh. Plus, non-fat milk spoils quicker than 1% milk which spoils quicker than 2% milk which spoils quicker than whole milk. The higher fat content helps in slowing the spoilage.
Old 11-04-07, 03:27 AM   #14
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I always ask myself this question as I throw away milk the day after it expires. Is it safe to drink afterwards? If so, for how many days? A couple? Four? A week seems like too much. I'm sure I wouldn't get sick by drinking a day after it expires but always wondered how many more days of life it has.
Usually when it reaches the day of expiration, the milk should start to smell funny. Don't want to drink when that is happening.
Old 11-04-07, 06:34 AM   #15
movieguru
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. If its 11:59 P.M. of the day before the expiration date, it's ok to drink. But if you drink it one minute later you'll make yourself sick.
Old 11-04-07, 06:48 AM   #16
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

I don't buy milk often but I won't grab the front container. I'll go further back in to find the newer milk.

And I'll do the sniff test too. Once it starts to smell different, it goes away. Works with women too.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 11-04-07, 06:54 AM   #17
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru
No. If its 11:59 P.M. of the day before the expiration date, it's ok to drink. But if you drink it one minute later you'll make yourself sick.
I have milk set to expire tomorrow. Since I just moved my clock back an hour, I think I'll dispose of it at 11:00 p.m. just to be safe.
Old 11-04-07, 07:05 AM   #18
Perkinsun Dzees
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've drannken milk that wos six monthhs after the expieratiion date and I sufferres no ill affex.
Old 11-04-07, 07:12 AM   #19
rw2516
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll never forget the day as a kid when I was home alone, me and a buddy got the idea to create a concoction from every single thing we could find in the kitchen. Nasty. He dared me to taste it and I did. It was pretty bad. As fast as I could I grabbed the milk out of the fridge to wash the taste out of my mouth. I upended that milk container and started gulping. The milk was SOUR !!!
Old 11-04-07, 07:19 AM   #20
JohnSlider
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heard if you add a bit lemon juice to milk that has expired then it would stay good for a couple more days. Never tried it myself, but it may be worth a try!
Old 11-04-07, 08:15 AM   #21
drmoze
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot
Having worked in a dairy, I learned that there is a sell by date stamped on the carton which tells a supermarket when is the last day it can be sold. Providing it is properly refrigerated, the milk will retain its freshness and nutrients for seven days past the sell by date. You can always drink past that date, but there is no guarantee that the milk will be as nutrient-rich or fresh. Plus, non-fat milk spoils quicker than 1% milk which spoils quicker than 2% milk which spoils quicker than whole milk. The higher fat content helps in slowing the spoilage.
Which "nutrients" do older milk lose, exactly?
Old 11-04-07, 08:18 AM   #22
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on the temp of your fridge. Sniff test is a good gold standard, as others have mentioned, however, people often get a mild sore-throat if they drink expired milk that hasn't quite made it to be rank enough to fail the "sniff test" yet.
Old 11-04-07, 08:26 AM   #23
CreamyGoodness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I don't buy milk often but I won't grab the front container. I'll go further back in to find the newer milk.
"The milk maids. The women that go through every gallon of milk looking for a later date. As if somewhere-beyond all the other gallons-is a container of milk that won't go bad for like a decade." - Dante Hicks to Randal Graves, Clerks

Seriously. I never go by the date. Even if you're not to the date yet it can still be bad. I had a half gallon once that was five days away from the date on it, so I opened it up took a huge swig and it felt like I had a mouthful of soft cheese. Then the taste kicked in. Woah, I couldn't even get to the sink to spit it out.

Whatever the date says, all you can do is smell it and give it a little taste to make sure it's ok. (That's what she said....)
Old 11-04-07, 08:49 AM   #24
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slider
I heard if you add a bit lemon juice to milk that has expired then it would stay good for a couple more days. Never tried it myself, but it may be worth a try!

Old 11-04-07, 09:07 AM   #25
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoze
Which "nutrients" do older milk lose, exactly?
Vitamins A, B, D, E, and K. They break down with heat and light. So ostentibly the longer you keep milk, the more heat (moving in and out of the fridge) and light it's exposed to.
Sponsored Links